Meerschaum durability

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if it was on a tile or stone floor it would have been a different story. Meerschaum with a hardness just above talc is pretty delicate. The moisture content may have had something to do with it, also the softness of a wood floor. Meerschaums should be handled with the “White Glove” treatment right down to holding them by the stem for even coloring.

It might have landed "just right", on a wider part of the pipe or side or stem to absorb the shock. I've lost two meers over the years from clumsiness. The nose of a Bacchus and a rather plain billiard that literally shattered into a couple of pieces.

I would smoke a bowl or two of your best tobacco to send thanks to the tobacco gods for the gift they gave you/ :lol:

Natch

You CAN'T treat Meerschaums like crap. They are delicate objects. You were very lucky. I once dropped a Meer on a cement sidewalk, and it broke in three pieces. Now I only smoke them indoors, sitting on a couch.