meerschaum tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leatherneck

Reaction score
i have bought a few meerscaum pipes over the years, and have been told on different occasions that meerscahaum pipes are very finicky in the type of tobacco that should be used in them. can i get a response from some of you older pipe smokers as to what kind of tobacco i should use ( light or dark - virginia leaf or not) and maybe what particular tobacco i should try.

Could be true, but I never heard that. My guess would be that lighter-cased tobacco would work better, but that's just a guess. My one Meer seems to work best with VaPers and St Bruno, but that's likely just me :D I look forward to what the 'meer experts' have to say on this

I have several meers. But the best smoker is a cheap little churchwarden that a pinky won't fit into. It makes Hal O' The Wynd sing. The others simply lack good bits. Or I would smoke them more. Always been meaning to take sandpaper to them and get them sorted out.

I smoke whatever I feel like in my meers and have yet to have a bad smoke from one of them.
I have four block meers and two pressed meers and one that I suspect to be pressed and they all smoke well.
Actually the only difference I can tell is that the block meers are just a tad, and I mean just a slight tad, lighter in weight.
They all smoke really well no matter what type of baccy I smoke in them.
They do seem to color better if I smoke a dark baccy in them.

I've also had a few over the years, two that I've been working on (trying to get the "perfect" color!) for many years, and my experience has been that meers are the most forgiving and flexible of substances regarding types of tobaccos. The drilling/airway/construction varies greatly from brand to brand (and pipe to pipe within a brand) and that may impact the smoking characteristics more than the meer bowl itself (in my opinion).

Just my opinion/experience.

Natch

Natch":05mv6d9q said:
I've also had a few over the years, two that I've been working on (trying to get the "perfect" color!) for many years, and my experience has been that meers are the most forgiving and flexible of substances regarding types of tobaccos. The drilling/airway/construction varies greatly from brand to brand (and pipe to pipe within a brand) and that may impact the smoking characteristics more than the meer bowl itself (in my opinion).

Just my opinion/experience.

Natch
What Natch says. :p I've smoked Meers for years as well and found they smoke just about ALL tobaccos well. I like to smoke a "new" 'bac in a Meer to get more of a "true" flavor of it as they do not impart any discernable flavor of their own. Keep the cake down in 'em and you will find they smoke really nice in this aspect. Doesn't mean you can't just smoke one 'bac only in a meer, depends on what you find you like :p

I try all tobaccos in a cob, briar, churchwarden, and meer. Each have their own experiences but because you generally don't let a cake build in meer you can get a true experience of the toby in them rather than the ghosting you might get in a briar or even a cob if you let a cake build.

Brewdude":czt6y78n said:
A meer should not influence the components of the pipe weed.

That's what I''ve come to understand anyway.

FWIW

Cheers,

RR
I have two each of Altinok, Baki and IMP.
They all smoke everything wonderfully.

I have to agree with all the statements above. I have meers dedicated to Virginia blends, some dedicated to English blends, and some dedicated to specific blends exclusively. I cannot discern the superiority of any particular tobacco or blend in any of my meers.

I know certain tongues are finicky about tobaccos...but not specifically meerschaum.

Meerschaum, to me, has a unique flavor and scent to it. I suppose to some, it may enhance one tobacco and slightly hinder the next, but that's up to the smoker to figure out. I find the meer material to have a slightly salty notion to it, with almost a boiled clam shell nose. It might be unique to just this pipe, and it's so faint, most might not notice it. That, and I have a overactive sense of smell and taste (which comes with its own problems...one of them is Perique... :lol: )

Really strong or aged Virginias and Latakia both work really well with it, while delicate and subtle Burley or Virginia blends/mixtures tend to get a little lost.

Again, this is just my take. I don't fully agree meerschaum is a scentless/tasteless material, or at least not all meerschaum. I have heard the only pipes that truly don't impart flavor are porcelain/ceramic or clay.

8)

...as most have said, I smoke any tobacco in my meers and they work quite well with moist tobaccos since they absorb moisture quickly... :cheers: