Meerschaums and clays?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
Like I said in another post, I have more pipes than I will ever need. That number is well under 30 ... but ... I don't have any meerschaums nor clays, just briars and cobs.

Am I really missing out on anything special?

I have exactly one meer, one Dutch clay tavern pipe, and one clay pipe with a reed stem. The clays offer a small bowl, perfect for sampling.
I rarely reach for them as I’m not fond of the mouth feel of a clay stem or a reed stem. As for the meer - I’ve never smoked it. I think the appeal of a meer lies in its potential artistry. I’m sure it also changes the smoking experience somewhat, but I have no personal experience with it.

If you do experiment with a clay or porcelain pipe, just be aware many of them have bowls that will get hot enough to cause a minor burn

wlG1D1hl.jpg

1) Two meerschaums (not visible in the pic)
2) Two meerschaum-bowled calabashes
3) One clay-bowled (porcelain?) calabash
4) One double-walled clay or porcelain calabash shape
5) One clay churchwarden (not visible)
6) Two double-walled and two single walled clay or porcelain pipes

Since all are relatively fragile and I don't smoke in the house I rarely reach for any, but I do have the occasional back yard smoke with a meer or calabash. My clay churchwarden gets a bowl every year at Christmastime but nothing other than that. You'll get no truer tobacco taste than with a clay. I have enjoyed all down through the years and each has its own characteristics but I'd say it's a personal thing as to whether or not you're missing anything.

Yeah, since I don't smoke in the house I'd probably drop it on the concrete floor in the garage during the winter.

I have several meerschaums, but rarely smoke them. One, which I bought new, probably thirty years ago was carved by Sevket, at least that's what the accompanying brochure said. Apparently, Sevket's work is now highly prized and valuable. It's unsigned anywhere on the pipe, so when I croak, it'll go in the same box on the driveway as the briars and cobs, as my daughters clear my collection of pipes for $1.00 each, buyer's choice.

FWIW, I own right at two dozen Meers and clays. Don't smoke them enough, even though I thoroughly enjoy them!! Several are unsmoked, which makes no sense but that's the way it is!! I just added two new clays to the collection this past week. Why more you ask?? Danged if I know!!!! FTRPLT

When I first started out, one of my first handful of pipes or so was a Philosopher with a chip in his cap for a discount. I still spent far too much on it, and being new to pipes, I listened too closely to "never touch the meerschaum" rule. I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. I liked latakia out of a meerschaum more than I did other tobaccos. Not sure if that would hold true today. If I could give any advise to someone new to them, I'd say, "Make your own dang rules." That goes for all of pipe smoking, though. Enjoying should be top priority.

Smoking a well-made meerschaum pipe made of block meerschaum and watching it color is a pleasure that you will want to experience. Be careful in choosing your meerschaum pipe, because some of the cheaper ones may be made from reconstituted chips and scraps leftover from carving block meerschaum. These pipes are notably heavier than pipes made from true block meerschaum and they smoke hotter. Also, they don't color as well, sometimes not at all. Try to get one made by a reputable company like CAO, SMS, or other makers that use block meerschaum from Turkey. I haven't bought pipes in almost a year, but I used to find nice block meerschaum pipes on eBay, some with a case specially fitted for the pipe. You may also come across African meerschaum pipes. African meerschaum is a little heavier than Turkish meerschaum and not as delicate.

Don't allow your meerschaum pipes build up a cake if you can help it; a buildup of carbon in a meerschaum can result in cracking the bowl. You can wipe out the bowl with a paper towel after it has cooled to remove oils and residue from the inside of the bowl. When shopping for a meerschaum, be on the lookout for those that already have a cake; it is a real task to remove a cake from a meerschaum without damaging it. It can be done, but it is very labor-intensive.

I use my meerschaum's, briar lined meer's and calabash pipes for smoking English blends. It' an easy way for me to help keep track of what blend goes in what pipe.

Last edited:
I have about a half dozen meers, that I don't smoke often enough.
Think I'll go load one up right about now. ;)

Good information about Meerschaum Market. I'm so used to seeing them in person that I've been surprised by how difficult it is to determine size from photos. Be wary. Get measurements, or you'll end up with a tiny pipe made for other things than tobacco.

Any other websites or ebay sellers of note?

Good information about Meerschaum Market. I'm so used to seeing them in person that I've been surprised by how difficult it is to determine size from photos. Be wary. Get measurements, or you'll end up with a tiny pipe made for other things than tobacco.

Any other websites or ebay sellers of note?
Zeno, that's what I like about MM. When you click on a pipe it gives all the dimensions. Length. Bowl height and width (od) and tobacco chamber ID and depth and photos so you know exactly what your getting. And. If you don't like it, you can return it, unsmoked of course, for a refund. I bought a "Lee Van Cleef" model from them. Smoked really hot. I mean burn your palm hot. I called them and they let me exchange it for a better pipe at the the same price I paid for the LVC.

I have about a dozen meerschaum pipes. They smoke smooth and dry. That's the best thing about them. If I have a wet tobacco I use
these pipes because they absorb the moisture better than a lot of briar pipes.

Can you wash meerschaum under running water? That's not meant to be snarky. Genuine question.