Melting Pipe Cake.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
It's so humid here because of the rain from the hurricane that I'm seeing the cake in a number of my pipes soften almost to the point of turning into liquid at the top of the bowls. Anybody else ever have this problem?

Blackhorse":jzao5qz4 said:
Never even heard of that before.  I wonder if cake built up primarily with VA vs Burley vs Cavendish vs Turkish (etc.) makes any difference.
I don't believe so given the variety of pipes that smoke a variety of blends that are having this problem. I'm taking a paper towel and wiping the moisture out of the bowls. There goes the cake!

Btw, none of my pipes have heavy cake. I always keep them reamed down.

yes , it has happen to me. i also live in a very humid place. however , when i clean the bowl with paper towel , the cake is not removed. just a humid gunk is removed wich helps the cake to remain at the thickness i prefer (wich is very thin).

Brother Jim, now that's humidity!!! Holy water drops!! And, no, I have never experienced this phenomenon!! FTRPLT

Happened to me today. Felt weird on my tamper going around the edges. Definitely hurricane related, I am near Augusta, GA.

Yes indeed, upon finishing a bowl I always take a paper towel or tissue and wipe the top of the bowl which invariably wipes the inside top cake as well.

Lotsa soft cake coming off with each swipe, which is fine.

That happens to me in the really hot and humid days. I've had some days when smoking outside not only the cake softens, but the cob bowls do too! I don't smoke much those days, and try to keep my pipes near an air conditioner vent to keep them dry. Fortunately those days aren't often!