Mild/Moderate latakia blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I know exactly what I'm getting myself into when I ask for blend suggestions. I'll try to give as best a description of what I'm looking for to try to narrow the focus a bit, but I prepared for the worst:

As I commented in one of Dusty's threads, I"m really starting to get a feel for the whole Latakia thing. It never appealed to me before, and I've mostly doing the Va/VaPer/VaPerBur thing. Then I starting easing my way into Latakia after I found out there was a bit of the stuff in GLP's Fillmore (which is one of my favorite blends). I tried some Piccadilly and loved it as well - as you can see, I'm definitely playing in the shallow end of the lat. pool. Recently, I bought some Frog Morton as well as some Blackpoint. I really, really, really like FM (Blackpoint seems good, but it's fairly wet in the tin and I haven't dried it out enough before smoking to be able to give it a fair assessment). I think when I first tried latakia years ago, I must've just had a blend that didn't agree with me - I'm totally digging it now.

But I don't want to get in too deep, yet. I'm NOT looking for a lat bomb. Considering that I enjoy FM, but would be interested in something with a bit more latakia presence (not a lot...but enough to notice), what would be a good place to start? Something that incorporates a touch of perique is always nice - from my Fillmore experience and the bit of Blackpoint I've had, I can say that I do enjoy the way the perique spice jumps up and plays off the latakia.

Ok guys...do your worst!

Edit: Considering that I like FM and enjoy perique, I've already ordered a tin of FMOTB to try.

It's funny, but as others have observed, depending on the content of orientals, you may enjoy the other flavors in a "lat bomb." My thinking was as yours was, but then I tried GL Pease Odyssey and realized that...ya know what...you can have a heavy lat blend where everything else doesn't get overwhelmed.

If you are intent on a light lat blend however, I can recommend C&D Epiphany and 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher.

Two blends/mixtures that I would STRONGLY suggest to help fill your Latakia needs WITHOUT being a Lat Bomb would be Peretti's Royal Blend and McClellands Oriental#14 . BOTH have a good dose of this weed but they also have the necessary levels of Orientals and a Va base to smooth and even it out and add the "spicy" element that some folks use Perique for without any Perique. They are what could be called "true Balkan" blends/mixtures and probably some of the BEST smoking 'bacs you can find ! JMHO :p

Ahhhh, Odyssey, a great lat-forward blend. Most lat-bombs I find rather gentle in overall power/bite. Strong in the smoky, but rather mild overall.

I've found that almost any latakia blend can also be "lightened" (at least from the smokey perspective) by mixing in a little Virginia (Orlick's Golden Flake, Peretti's Boston Slice and similar blends).

Natch

Sounds like you're looking for

...CHELSEA MORNING!

It's not heavy on the lat, has some perique and is a wonderful smoke. Medium-strong and very scrumptious. It's going to be extra delicious after Chelsea wins the Champions league on Saturday!!! :lol!:

"Sweet red and bright Virginias, fragrant orientals, a bit of rich Cyprus Latakia, and just a pinch of perique. The leaf is blended in layers, briefly pressed, then sliced and tumbled into ribbons. Lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness, and an elegant, creamy texture, it's a great bowl to accompany the morning cup."

Pretty much exactly what you're askin for :cheers:

So far my favorite lat blend is G.L. Pease's Charring Cross. Not sure if it's a lat bomb or not but I like it quite a lot. And I'm fairly new to pipes.

Give Pipeworks&Wilke #10 mixture a try. It has four different types of Orientals, Va's, and a very small amount of Latakia. It has a very nice sweet&sour like "exotic" flavor from the Orientals and there is just enough Latakia so that you know it is there, while the Va's provide balance and structure. #10 comes available in bulk so you get a good bang for your buck and it is ages extremely well, even after a year in a mason jar. Go to www.vtpipes.com and shoot Carole Burns an email or call her. You will NOT be disappointed!

-Scott

I would offer Germain's King Charles mixture and a lat-forward but still v mild smoke.

I've been going through this kind of thing myself. Some recommendations:

McClellands: Wilderness, Legends, Jubilee, Orient 996, Three Oaks Syrian (the last one is pretty "smoky" but the Syrian is much different than Cyprian)
SG: Squadron Leader (known as a lat blend but I don't find it to be lat forward at all)
MacBaren: The Solent Mixture (easily the best thing they make, IMO)
H&H: Magnum Opus
Dunhill: EMP; London Mixture if you want to go one step up from there
Planta: Presbyterian Mixture
GLP: Chelsea Morning (already mentioned), Ashbury

Cheers!

P&W Churchill and #78 are both a great introduction into Latakia blends that are understated in the Lat dept but deliver a complex smoking experience.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

If you're looking for lighter lat blends, GLP Pease Chelsea Morning is phenomenal. It's a close cousin to Piccadilly, but far far better IMHO.

You might try any of the McClelland's Latakia blends, such as Wilderness, Legends or Three Oaks Syrian. All of this companies latakia blends are rather "mild" to me, but they mange to also be delicious and complex.

jj1015":yujw7qx6 said:
If you're looking for lighter lat blends, GLP Pease Chelsea Morning is phenomenal. It's a close cousin to Piccadilly, but far far better IMHO.

You might try any of the McClelland's Latakia blends, such as Wilderness, Legends or Three Oaks Syrian. All of this companies latakia blends are rather "mild" to me, but they mange to also be delicious and complex.
Two of my faves right there!

Cheers,

RR

If you liked frog morton , chances are you will enjoy even more blue mountain by Maclelland.It is all what you are looking for,a mild and moderate latakia .

s.ireland":b6e0ukpq said:

...CHELSEA MORNING!

It's not heavy on the lat, has some perique and is a wonderful smoke. Medium-strong and very scrumptious. It's going to be extra delicious after Chelsea wins the Champions league on Saturday!!! :lol!:
Not superstitious, are we?! :cheers:

You've got some great suggestions. Being a predominately aro smoker, my lat bridge was Two Friends English Chocolate. It was delicious. I followed that with Beck's Ol Limey Bastard - also delicious.

Chelsea Morning is a good light blend. Latakia is not a strong tobacco, it is just very aromatic. For Oriental forward, but with some latakia, try the Rattray blends.

Harlock999":kpj0ko01 said:
s.ireland":kpj0ko01 said:

...CHELSEA MORNING!

Not superstitious, are we?! :cheers:

Chelsea...ugh.

I'm sure its a fine blend, but the name sounds a bit rancid.

My favorite blend for the moment that contains lat is McClellands Bombay Court. It's on the lighter lat. side, with the orientals more foward, and the lat. intermingling. This stuff DGT's well. If you like it, I highly recommend aging some. Eight year old Bombay Court is simply divine.

Abe

gravel":rf2adzy5 said:
You've got some great suggestions. Being a predominately aro smoker, my lat bridge was Two Friends English Chocolate. It was delicious. I followed that with Beck's Ol Limey Bastard - also delicious.
Just tried this the other day. Excellent smoke!!!