Minnesota Prices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowflyingpenguin

Reaction score
For those brothers from MN. What do you pay on average for 50g/2oz of baccy? Heading there for a few days and deciding if it's worth my while to hunt down some to haul home.

Thanks brewdude,

I went to a shop (in Michigan) and they were asking $31.95 for a 50 g tin of Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls.  Online it costs around $12.00.  I thought "what a rip-off!"  In Michigan, the laws are getting stricter and stricter by the minute.  We Michiganders cannot order cigarettes online anymore.  I suspect that in the near future we won't be able to order all forms of tobacco online.  I used to buy Mick McQuaid and St. Bruno in the pouch from British websites.  Recently I went to place an order for a few pouches and I was told that it is now illegal to import tobacco from abroad.  So I tried a bunch of websites from Germany to South Africa and I ran into the same situation.  Paying a high price (due to taxes) is bad enough, but not being able to buy tobacco online is what really scares me!

u235. How can a US state make laws for transactions that take place somewhere else, even another country?

What next? Michigan changing the Highway Code for road users in France?

U-235":x7407cqt said:
Thanks brewdude,

I went to a shop (in Michigan) and they were asking $31.95 for a 50 g tin of Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls.  Online it costs around $12.00.  I thought "what a rip-off!"  In Michigan, the laws are getting stricter and stricter by the minute.  We Michiganders cannot order cigarettes online anymore.  I suspect that in the near future we won't be able to order all forms of tobacco online.  I used to buy Mick McQuaid and St. Bruno in the pouch from British websites.  Recently I went to place an order for a few pouches and I was told that it is now illegal to import tobacco from abroad.  So I tried a bunch of websites from Germany to South Africa and I ran into the same situation.  Paying a high price (due to taxes) is bad enough, but not being able to buy tobacco online is what really scares me!
There is another option in N. Ireland. Check out Mr. Snuff. They ship to the US.

https://mrsnuff.com/index.php?cPath=0_168

Cheers,

RR

U-235":4r93q4z2 said:
Thanks brewdude,

I went to a shop (in Michigan) and they were asking $31.95 for a 50 g tin of Dunhill's Deluxe Navy Rolls.
KISS My Arse! They need to get off the fricken Meds!

JCB":iso0ifd9 said:
u235. How can a US state make laws for transactions that take place somewhere else, even another country?

What next? Michigan changing the Highway Code for road users in France?
Think I can help explain the 'another country' bit. Your government has put pressure on the credit card companies so that if a vendor outside the USA sells tobacco on Mastercard, Visa, etc to someone in the USA then they (the credit card companies) will ban that vendor from using their services permanently! Why? I have no idea. Our (UK) government uses punative tobacco duties so at least they get some money out of it.

By the way, they don't have a Highway Code in France, it's every man for himself  :lol!: 

Adam

Thanks all for your input. Based on your comments I won't make a big effort to buy any baccy in MN.

Some guys mail order tobacco to their hotel and bring it home from there. You'll never find tobacco cheaper than online.  :shock:

Adam. Not my country mate. I live in Australia, where the tax on a 50g tin of tobacco is about $25. Obviously I order tobacco from the US like any sane person. Interestingly, I can buy tobacco from the UK, unlike Americans, and even tho that sale is VAT exempt, they still seem to want to charge the sin taxes on that tobacco, making it at least twice as expensive as US bought tobacco.

Only a matter of time until ALL of these online tobacco retailers post out of warehouses in the tobacco equivalents of the Cayman Islands.

Fwiw I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation regarding the ban on UK vendors selling tobacco to US consumers using credit cards.

I've probably left it too late to stockpile a lifetimes supply. I wish I had the foresight earlier. If I actually lived in the US I would order about 100kg straight off the bat.

JCB":ufgmx341 said:
..... they still seem to want to charge the sin taxes on that tobacco, making it at least twice as expensive as US bought tobacco.
They have to pay the tobacco duty (sin tax) of about £100/kilo when it comes into the country and can't claim it back if they export it so you get the privilege of paying it. As we don't have a Free Port in the UK, they can't turn it around without paying duty. We don't grow tobacco in the UK (not enough to get excited about) so we get screwed every time  :twisted: 
Don't understand what the Yanks are doing but then I seldom do  :D 

Adam

alandadp":egxcjzra said:
JCB":egxcjzra said:
..... they still seem to want to charge the sin taxes on that tobacco, making it at least twice as expensive as US bought tobacco.
They have to pay the tobacco duty (sin tax) of about £100/kilo when it comes into the country and can't claim it back if they export it so you get the privilege of paying it. As we don't have a Free Port in the UK, they can't turn it around without paying duty. We don't grow tobacco in the UK (not enough to get excited about) so we get screwed every time  :twisted: 

Adam
I wasn't suggesting the retailers were doing anything untoward. As a foreign resident I don't appreciate paying the taxes of another country.  Those cranky American colonials had it right: no taxation without representation. It's a very simple, very honest, position.

Giving retailers tax/excise credits for exports isn't a difficult thing to do. They don't do it because they are economic cretins. The real loser is the British etailer, and from there, HM Revenue & Customs, because they  raise no money from a sale that is lost.

Apologies to the op for the topic drift.

U-235":sgdzx7sf said:
Thanks brewdude,

i think this may just be an issue with your vender or because of the brand, or maybe because its imported, i actually drive to MI from WI to buy tobacco cause its so much cheaper, still double what youll pay online but that usually happens in any retail situation. i know MN as of less than a year ago was super cheap on tobac but they got a new tobacco tax that rivals that of NY jumping a pack of smokes from around $3 to close to $10, but this is also a state where beer only has half of the alcohol content and a 12pk will cost you double what it would in WI, pretty crazy taxes for a state that doesnt charge sales tax

In MN I see a 50g tin of nightcap going for around $20. Taxes are high here but they might be low compared to Canada still.

Nathan_S":5d3q8eh3 said:
In MN I see a 50g tin of nightcap going for around $20. Taxes are high here but they might be low compared to Canada still.

That isn't too bad compared to here. I am going to do a comparison shop before I head to Minneapolis as I usually buy my stuff online. If I run across something I like at an OK price I might grab some. Thanks for the info.

Number 6

alandadp":okqhb99h said:
JCB":okqhb99h said:

Adam
Nor do I Adam, and I'm a septic!

:lol!: 

Cheers,

RR

Pricing isn't great. I still buy majority online. However, if you're going to be in St Paul, I definitely recommend visiting Stogies on Grand. Its a pretty cool atmosphere for B&M.

Peter-B":d2517ksv said:
Pricing isn't great.  I still buy majority online.  However, if you're going to be in St Paul, I definitely recommend visiting Stogies on Grand.  Its a pretty cool atmosphere for  B&M.

Will do! Thanks bro.

RB