Mold on FVF in 250g boxes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT

Reaction score
I bought twenty 250g boxes from smokingpipes and the tobacco in four of the baggies was caked in mold -- not just a little mold, absolutely encased in it. Smokingpipes offered to take back all of it, but I'm unsure whether anyone else has experienced the same problem, and whether I really need to return all 20 of the boxes.

I don't want to return the stuff that doesn't appear to be affected if it isn't justified. On the other hand, I don't want to start opening jars in 5 years and find they're all filled with moldy tobacco, so I'm curious as to whether others may have some advice on how to handle the situation.

Many thanks,
JT

It's definitely mold, and not bloom, or whatever it's called--you know, with the little crystals? If it's mold, can you compare production dates with the stuff that looks good? I can't remember if the boxes are dated. If not, I'd send it all back. But then, I'm not a FVF fiend. ;)

Does it smell like mold? Are they ALL from the same lot number? If they are and your sure it's mold I would not take the chance on keeping any!! You don't want to get sick, and you will if it's mold. On the other hand, it might be what's called plume, with age fine cigars and tobacco's develop this, it's a white powdery substance, may even look like crystals. Never green, the taste is on the sweet side. I've smoked some 35 year old Padron cigars that were outrageous with the plume on the outer leaf. Let me know what you find on your FVF. Good luck.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Not to question OP but I immediately thought of plume. I've never had any issues with SG and mold, but I have had quite a few orders with ample plume all over the tobacco.

I've never had a problem with FVF or with the 250g boxes, but I have had a few other tins from SG go moldy...so it's certainly not impossible that you'll need to return them. But like others have said, pictures would be helpful.

JimInks":6v5sm3tt said:
It'd help if we could see a few pictures.
Absolutely. Because I have recently bought some 250g FVF, St James and 1792 Flakes and I would not want to end up with a bad surprise when I start opening them in a couple years' time. :affraid:

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Perhaps my request for assistance was unclear. I didn't really need assistance in identifying the problem as mold. It clearly is, and smokingpipes affirmed that they've had several recent cases in 250g boxes of FVF.

I've been a pipe smoker for over 25 years and this is the first time I've received a batch of mold-contaminated tobacco. Having no previous experience with the problem, I was unsure about its potential for contamination of an entire batch of tobacco.

I appreciate and will heed the advice that it isn't worth the risk.

Photos below.

Many thanks,
JT

No doubt about it, that's mold. Now, everyone needs to watch their new shipments of FVF. I've had this recently with the new Temple Bar, the can was way to swollen with only a months age to it. I opened the can and it was all moldy inside. The only can that was extremely swollen. I was told I was not the only one with this issue. Smokingpipes is great, superb customer service. That's why most of my tobacco I purchase is from them.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Bullwinkle ":jr9opajt said:
I would ask SP to issue a UPS pickup on their dime.
Oh they would, call SP customer service and ask to speak to Mark or Chip.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Fuuuuuuuck. Now I am worried about my own stash. I mean, I can't start opening everything just to be sure?????? I am cellaring for the future, I don't want to end up with hundreds of Mason jars...I bought tins and boxes exactly to avoid that.

Lord JT, so sorry for your issue.

EW!

That is a seriously sad thing! At least you caught it soon. You can't swap it after a year or more of age on it.....

Jeebus JT, that's about as bad a case of mold as I've ever seen. Pretty gross really. And I'd be minded to send back all of the boxes with the same packaging date/lot number.

Fortunately I've not been subject to mold on SG thus far. Perhaps it's a case to be made about how moist they ship their line!

Hope you get satisfaction in the end.

Cheers,

RR

Send it all back! If it was in the same box when shipped its all contaminated and has the potential to literally kill you! Do not take the chance. The factory will take care of Smoking Pipes loss on this so don't worry about that. Your health and wellbeing come first.

Jim

Lord Guyrox":gyj6nsj9 said:
Fuuuuuuuck. Now I am worried about my own stash. I mean, I can't start opening everything just to be sure?????? I am cellaring for the future, I don't want to end up with hundreds of Mason jars...I bought tins and boxes exactly to avoid that.

Lord JT, so sorry for your issue.

Good Lord, that was my first thought too...the thought of checking all of my tins and dumping them into mason jars is daunting (and maybe a little depressing).

But yeah - I'd send every ounce of unsealed bulk tobacco from that order back...with that much mold, I'd be seriously concerned about cross-contamination.

And that much mold couldn't have happened that quickly - I love SP and don't question their customer service one bit, but someone should have noticed that before sending it out.

That is jacked up!!! I was expecting maybe a spot or two that is mold to the extreme!!!

That's really too bad. I have never had a moldy tin from SG, and up to this point never a mold issue with any blend at all. I do however live in a very dry climate, and I often wonder if tobacco stored in more humid environments, despite the use of mold inhibitors has a higher chance of developing spores.

I guess I too would err on the side of shipping anything in that same lot back. Or perhaps see if you can strike a deal with the retailer to allow you open up all the boxes and send back anything that looks affected, jar up anything that doesn't. Nonetheless, considering how easily mold can spread, you definitely want that stuff out of your cellar.

I wonder if any other retailers have experienced moldy 250g boxes of FVF. If not, than SmokingPipes has a series problem that may be within their facility.

leacha":uqetk05z said:
I wonder if any other retailers have experienced moldy 250g boxes of FVF. If not, than SmokingPipes has a series problem that may be within their facility.
...as a result of Hurricane Matthew flooding, perhaps? :scratch: