Moose Encounter with Coffee and Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert,

Generally, they are quite stubborn, and there are many stories of odd behaviors... that said, 99% of the time they simply ignore humans. They are just too busy to be bothered, taking care of important moose business, like munching on leaves and dropping turd nuggets. They are actually pretty cool to have around, it's just wise to be aware and not get lulled into a false sense of complacency.

Bears, on the other hand, are in a completely different category. Even though it's generally pretty neat to see them, you are immediately hit with the impression that one swipe from a brownie, and you'd be dead meat, period. I carry bear spray on the hip at all times when fishing, and for the most part I do not feel a gun is necessary. (I am probably in the minority on this one, but don't get me going!)

99% of the time, as soon as they catch wind of you, off they go, crashing through heavy brush.

It's the 1% that can be worrisome. But if you are even half-way intelligent, and generally respectful while in bear country, everybody gets along pretty darn well.

By the way, beebiz, you'd fit right in up here with that burly ol' beard. In fact, up here, yours would be a bit on the not-even-worth-mentioning side of things, as far as beards go. Some of the old school duffers around here got 'em down to the belt line!

Cheers! -- TB

Brother TB, that's very interesting information, indeed!! Heck, the way things were explained to me, a bear and a moose were quite similar in the way they would act... and attack!! From what you're saying, it still doesn't sound like a moose would qualify for the "cuddly puppy of the year" award. But, it don't sound like they are nearly as bad of an unpredictable attacker as bears are... or, have been made out to be!!

So many folks think that just because an animal lives in the wild, its sole purpose for existing is to attack and harm humans. And, they think that just because they are domesticated and cute, dogs, cats, and such wouldn't hurt you for love nor money. But, I've been around domesticated and wild animals all my life. And, I've learned that for the most part... wild animals will leave you alone as long as you leave them alone. Of course, all bets are off if they have been injured, have rabies, or are hungry... and, you just happen to smell like lunch!!! By the same token, I have got a four pound (1.8 kg) Yorkshire Terrier who is one of the cutest little guys I've ever seen in my life. Wags his tail all friendly and such. But, if you were to try to pick him up without getting to know him very, very well first, he'd tear your arm off!!!

As for the beard, I used to have mine down to my waistline!! I had hair half way down my back. And, I had three earrings in each ear... with dream catchers with long feathers dangling from them in the lowest holes!! But, I got tired of scaring the crap out of people with the way I looked. So, I cut my hair short, got rid of the earrings, and started keeping my beard cut "short!" And, I keep it cut "short" more out of respect for my mother than anything. She hates facial hair. But, says she can deal with my beard as long as I don't let it get longer than it is now!!! :lol:

I've no doubt that many of the fellows in your neck of the woods finds a good, thick, wooly beard to be quite nice to protect their skin when the harsh winter winds blow. I know I used to love the warmth that mine furnished when I would go hunting in the winter! But, I've got to admit that in our southern summer months, it became somewhat of a furnace under all that hair!!! :shock:

Robert

I smoke sitting on my deck late at night. The only critters I share the deck with are possums and coons. The possums are cool. a few of the coons get a little belligerent once in a while. Did Have one coyote join me. He was busy watching the coons and ignored me until I coughed once. No moose here in Indiana. You have all the fun neighbors.