More Nebraska big storm insanity

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too sure about guys like that, but I'm glad they're out there getting those pics.

Seen just that same thing. With a difference. The mesocyclone was on the ground rotating as it approached Elkhart, IL. Inside of it was clearly 7 tornadoes also rotating with it. I didn't know that more than 1 tornado could form inside of a single storm. It was an amazing sight to see. A lot of pictures of the tornado/mesocyclone show it as a single, very large tornado. It may have started that way by Cantrell, IL. But as it approached Waynesville, IL it had become a long thin tornado that seem to disappear in the middle. It faded away shortly after.

We don't often get the big ones like that here. Usually they are little piddly things that tear up a mile or so, maybe a 100yds wide.

Nasty.

I'm not sure if I would want to see that coming or not. Maybe living in the hills ain't a bad thing afterall?

Carlos":4hxb0gfe said:
Seen just that same thing. With a difference. The mesocyclone was on the ground rotating as it approached Elkhart, IL. Inside of it was clearly 7 tornadoes also rotating with it. I didn't know that more than 1 tornado could form inside of a single storm. It was an amazing sight to see.
Rarely seen and almost never captured on film, but it happens. The debate is where the dividing line belongs between a huge tornado with multiple vortices, and a "tornado carousel," which is a meso with individual tornadoes around its perimeter.

You've officially seen what maybe one person in a million has, Carlos. How cool is that? :twisted:

I've been in Lincoln Nebraska for the past week, a little ways away, but we've been having some awesome wall clouds almost every day. Nothing more than brief downpours and some moderate straight line winds are coming of them so far. But a large and rather moist cold front just moved out and a major high moved in. We're expecting big things tomorrow when the convectional engine kicks in with all that heat and moisture. Almost every evening there are warnings in the lobby warning of expected tornado warnings and watchers for the area that evening and telling us to be prepared to move to the basement at a moments notice.

I'm working on an AP Human Geography reading, so we have over 50,000 high school advanced placement exams from all over the US of kids that hope to do well enough to get college credit for their advanced geography class. All the exams, and the 150+ teachers, are basically in a barn at the state fair grounds. If we catch even an F-5 in the neighborhood, those exams will end up evenly distributed over the eastern half of North America, and geography teachers will be falling out of the sky for days!

Natch

Natch":dy1r9o2j said:
I've been in Lincoln Nebraska for the past week, a little ways away, but we've been having some awesome wall clouds almost every day. Nothing more than brief downpours and some moderate straight line winds are coming of them so far. But a large and rather moist cold front just moved out and a major high moved in. We're expecting big things tomorrow when the convectional engine kicks in with all that heat and moisture. Almost every evening there are warnings in the lobby warning of expected tornado warnings and watchers for the area that evening and telling us to be prepared to move to the basement at a moments notice.

I'm working on an AP Human Geography reading, so we have over 50,000 high school advanced placement exams from all over the US of kids that hope to do well enough to get college credit for their advanced geography class. All the exams, and the 150+ teachers, are basically in a barn at the state fair grounds. If we catch even an F-5 in the neighborhood, those exams will end up evenly distributed over the eastern half of North America, and geography teachers will be falling out of the sky for days!

Natch
natch you guys are under a tornado watch right now where you staying at in lincoln im only about 130 mile from you

Keep in mind that the GWPFF (gut-wrenching primal fear factor) of monster storms distorts the perceived risk. The same thing with Great White sharks while swimming in the ocean. Computer models say a given point of ground in the heaviest-density areas of the U.S. will be swept by a tornado only once every 10,000 years. Far less often elsewhere. And then only about one percent of those are F5, with over half not being significant.

its been a fun night here tonight here in nebraska about 9:00 pm ct we had a really bad strom come throught where i live at it got wild the tornado warning siren went off and there was hail and heavy rain and wind and on the radio said that there might be a tornado heading my way :affraid: this lasted for about hour and half but thank god it did not hit as far has i can tell there no damage to my trailer or my truck but in town there was some downed trees and power lines and some flooding

robertw1249":5x9aa65r said:
its been a fun night here tonight here in nebraska about 9:00 pm ct we had a really bad strom come throught where i live at it got wild the tornado warning siren went off and there was hail and heavy rain and wind and on the radio said that there might be a tornado heading my way :affraid: this lasted for about hour and half but thank god it did not hit as far has i can tell there no damage to my trailer or my truck but in town there was some downed trees and power lines and some flooding
Be safe out there brother! It looks like the upper midwest is getting hammered!

Justpipes":7zgfnedk said:
robertw1249":7zgfnedk said:
Be safe out there brother! It looks like the upper midwest is getting hammered!
thanks mark i will I went out this morning and checked out my trailer and my truck there was no damage but i went to check on my grandpa his car had some hail damage to it but not that bad the news said that a tornado might have touched down just west of me but thank god it did not last long there saying that we are going to get some more stroms come in tonight i hope there not going to be as bad as last night Natch said he in lincoln there was a good size tornado hit Aurora NE about 75 mile west of lincoln

Amazing pix.
Never seen one that large, and it is hard to judge how close you are, but my response is to find shelter. You are either a lot braver or dumber than I am, or both. My curiosity does not include getting caught in something like that. Even a SMALL toronado way too scary.

Had one near us A few summers ago, which destroyed a barn, the building just exploded into splinters. Didn't harm the bull in the barn, although it was more than a trifle on the nervous side. My neighbor said the bull just stood there shivering, not its usual behavior.

Environment Canada refused to classify it a tornado, no proof that it actually touched down, all the trees that were snapped off did so about ten feet above the ground. I shook my house enough and yep it sounded like a train was passing over head. One of a few I have been near, too near for my taste.

"Scary stuff kids" (ala SCTV)

Al In Canada
Solani 369 in a Brigham Bulldog (3 dot)