Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henwrench

Reaction score
After seeing so many pipesters using these, and kinda liking the idea, I finally picked a couple up to try out. My word, they are not for me. Foul, horrid little things that feel like my pipe is wearing not one condom, but about ten. Each to his own, and all that, but really? I understand the 'clenchers' and their need to protect the stems, but the taste of latex and the 'reservoir' effect just doesn't do it for me. Any brothers found a good alternative use for them?

I can't use them either, it's like having a baby's dummy in my mouth. So far I could not find an alternative use for the only one I have  :twisted: 

I don't always like the feel of them on all my pipes but, I look at it this way. It's cheaper not to chew your stems up in the long run. To have a stem replaced or repaired, even if you do it yourself is not an expense I wish to have or a chore I wish to do. It is way more easier to use a "Softie" and wipe of your stem from time to time. And if you ever sell it, it adds to it's value having the original stem and intact without chattering or dents. Now if you got a cob or a $15 drugstore pipe, fine chew the thing up but, if we're talking about fine pipes I would think most would want to take care of them. Hell, spending only $175 on a pipe makes me stop and think if I even want to put a match to it or not half the time.

I doubt if anyone could hate them more than I once did. I sort of got used to them, but I only use them on outdoors pipes for clenching purposes, namely for "grip" and stem protection. The disgusting rubber/nicotinic taste eventually seems to go away (almost all of it), and the soft, thick feel I have come to like, in its own way. You can do just about any activity while smoking with these, and the stem won't slip out of your mouth or get damaged by teeth. Besides leaving bite marks, you can crack a stem, and I have. It's a trade-off, like everything else.

Truly, I do not understand all the fuss people have against them. I use them for some of my pipes and simply don't for others, probably because I'd rather not try to get them on. I do prefer them though whenever I am clinching because I'd rather not break the stem or my teeth. I have never though, and I mean never, had a foul taste from one. To me, they are rather tasteless and unnoticeable once one grows accustomed to them. Perhaps it is an issue of brand more than anything else on these?

joshoowah":nxy0ny2m said:
Truly, I do not understand all the fuss people have against them. I use them for some of my pipes and simply don't for others, probably because I'd rather not try to get them on. I do prefer them though whenever I am clinching because I'd rather not break the stem or my teeth.  I have never though, and I mean never, had a foul taste from one.  To me, they are rather tasteless and unnoticeable once one grows accustomed to them. Perhaps it is an issue of brand more than anything else on these?
I too have NEVER gotten a bad taste from one and I tend to buy the cheapest I can find.
I might have to do with what tobacco you smoke or how clean you keep your pipes. I clean and wipe down all my pipes after every use and remove the softie too wipe any moisture that may be under them. I feel it's a small chore in comparison to having to repair or replace a stem.  ;) 

I guess I'm using them wrong..  never got any taste from them.  I do cut the raised end from them

hmmmm....I'm not hugely against them, they're just not for me. The one's I purchased were from a B&M and are by a firm called Oppenheimer. And maybe the taste is an almost placebo effect, as in I think I can taste the latex, they certainly smell, maybe that will wear off. Maybe I should persevere.

henwrench":tozax6rk said:
hmmmm....I'm not hugely against them, they're just not for me. The one's I purchased were from a B&M and are by a firm called Oppenheimer. And maybe the taste is an almost placebo effect, as in I think I can taste the latex, they certainly smell, maybe that will wear off. Maybe I should persevere.
Oppenheimer is a French based distributor/multiple owner of pipe companies and you know how those French like there perfume, maybe that's what your smelling.  ;) 
I'm a guy that can smell a mouse fart at 300 yards and I've never smelled anything from them but, I smoke out side so maybe the stink gets blown off them.  ;) 

No taste or smell from the ones I use made by BJ Long. I like 'em and always use them.

Tried them once and they are definitly not for me but to each his own. It's an indivdual sport and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Myself I appriciate the time the maker has spent to make a bit as comfortable as he or she can make it and prefer to smoke my pipes the way I came into this world "Naked". :lol: Well except for the balsa filters to keep it PG in public.

I prefer not to use them, but I have a couple of pipes that are hard to hold on to without them (I'm a clencher). I use them only on those specific pipes.

They work but some enterprising, inventive chap should find a better solution. Removable bits or something?

Cartaphilus":yopgenj3 said:
Brewdude":yopgenj3 said:
Tried 'em, don't like 'em.

End of story.

Cheers,

RR
Oh, your just an ole Fuddy Duddy BD!
Affirmative. Grumpy ol' git, too!!

reddit-grumpy-cat-hero.jpg

Cheers,

RR

I have used the softee bits off/on for awhile. They did have an off-taste at first, but soaking in rum seemed to solve that issue. A more significant problem for me was the large increase in bit size which was somewhat uncomfortable.

I solved both issues buy using heat-shrink tubing instead. I bought a pack of assorted sizes at the local hardware shop for a couple bucks. Cut off about a 3/4" piece and briefly apply the heat from a match to get a snug fit. Much better as these are very thin compared to the softee.

For those that really bite down on their bits, this is not as forgiving as the softee, but it does provide a decent level of cushion / protection and a non-slick surface to grip. Much cheaper too - a $2.19 pack has enough tubing for approx 40 pipes.

Cartaphilus":nprrw5s5 said:
henwrench":nprrw5s5 said:
Oppenheimer is a French based distributor/multiple owner of pipe companies and you know how those French like there perfume, maybe that's what your smelling.  ;) 
I'm a guy that can smell a mouse fart at 300 yards and I've never smelled anything from them but, I smoke out side so maybe the stink gets blown off them.  ;) 
Hey Cart I guess you are a ( fart smeller ) errrrr I mean ( smart feller ). MIKE

SPUD 15":0mmava4e said:
Cartaphilus":0mmava4e said:
henwrench":0mmava4e said:
Hey Cart I guess you are a ( fart smeller )  errrrr I mean ( smart feller ).   MIKE
With all the BS that goes on in this place how can anyone not smell it? :suspect:

Just like Dirty Harry said, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one."

I am a biter and love it...although my girlfriends think, topic for another day...

I was trying to find a recommended brand to buy. The ones I have a) don't fit all my pipe stems, b) some of the ones I have have this irritating little edge on the lip (tried sanding off the edge with some success) and c) wanted a brand that are always good.

I get the shrink tubing thing (is this stuff edible/chewable?)...

So besides the I love it or hate it opinions... anyone have consistent success with a particular brand and where do you source it?

Many thanks... I think
Steve