Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to hit the lip with a little pipe wax, or even chapstix, before you try to push the vinyl tubing onto the stem. I've found that to be very helpful when trying for a tight fit.

I love my pipes just as they come, don't need no rubber (All you Freudians out there must be having a field day right about now!).

Teeth marks on the stems of my expensive pipes? who cares? I'm going to be 64 in July, how many more years before the worms get their teeth marks on me?

In all things, live it up whilst ye can!

smoker13":z6nxskwv said:
I love my pipes just as they come, don't need no rubber (All you Freudians out there must be having a field day right about now!).

Teeth marks on the stems of my expensive pipes? who cares? I'm going to be 64 in July, how many more years before the worms get their teeth marks on me?

In all things, live it up whilst ye can!
I too thought it was ridiculous...for decades. Never tried it once. Then... I had a pipe I wasn't enjoying holding, and the bit sat in my teeth funny. I couldn't get comfortable with it at all. I planned to sell it, and I think I did offer it here or to a friend. I had some vinyl tubing laying around, so when I ran into that bit hack on youtube, I thought, "Why not?" Gave it a try. Completely changed my relationship with that pipe. I still don't like to hold it in my hand, but it now fits in my bite just perfectly. It's actually one of my favorite pipes now. It was worth the experiment.

But I've also been able to find some empathy for those who have bite problems, sensitive teeth, or whatever might make bits a necessity in order for them to continue enjoying their pipes. Different strokes for different folks.

I've wanted to start a thread about pipes that only seem to work if you clench them. The aforementioned pipe is the most awkward holder. Love the shape, but it wants to sit cockeyed one way or another in my hand. Never had a pipe that wanted to go this way or that way, but not the way I want it. But it is a dream of a clencher (with the bit). Great balance and weight.

I too thought they were kind of silly, but on a whim I bought a pack.  For one thing, they're way cheaper than a new stem; I have a couple pipes with bite-throughs that needed one but they weren't pipes I smoked very often so I really didn't want to spend the money on them; they just got relegated to the bottom of the rack.  Stuck on a softee, viola! No new stem needed!

Also like Zeno I have one or two pipes that I love but that just have never felt right in the mouth.  Tried a softee and them and now they're much more enjoyable to smoke.

I'll never be one of those guys with a softee on every bit, but they've come on handy for me in an instance or two.