My Favorite Negative Tobacco Reviews

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo

Reaction score
There is a particular tobacco reviewer on TR who often makes me laugh he reviews a tobacco he does not like. Thought I'd share some excerpts from some of his reviews just for grins. I did not include the names of the tobaccos in order to protect the innocent.

I got this as a sample from Mike at Mars many years ago. When I figure out what I did to [tick] him off, I will apologize profusely…After several hours of drying, I loaded and lit up. That was my first mistake…Shortly after reaching cruising altitude, the flavor of the topping began to concentrate. I'm used to these flavors burning off. Not this one. The syrupy, medical flavor and aroma started getting very assertive. I returned my table and seat back to their upright positions.

I enjoy chopping things up, like ropes and plugs of tobacco. I can't decide if this is a good waste of bad tobacco, or a bad waste of good tobacco. A brutal head butt of a smoke with no subtle aspects.

Tried it again just for giggles. The only one giggling was the evil little creep that sold it to me. Sometimes memories should just stay memories.

Vile. It does possess some aerodynamic virtues. When I "skipped" this across the surface of my pond, I got four perfect bounces before it sunk. A few minutes later the entire pond was awash in dead amphibian creatures. How am I going to get the smell out of all those fish?

So THIS is what horse doody tastes like! After one bowl of this I felt a strange urge to stop bathing, worship Jerry Lewis, eat cheese, act superior and surrender to the nearest gendarme.

This is tobacco? Pretty to look at, and looks like quality leaf. Durn shame they treated it like a rented mule. The mule smells better, IMHO…I let the cat take a few puffs on the pipe and he started licking his butt. Probably to get the taste out of his mouth….Room Note: Janitorial and mausoleum like. I see dead people.

I remember the old geezers smoking this stuff when it came in a paper pouch. Just the smell put me on one knee. When I first smoked it, it put me on both knees. They had to rock my head back and forth to get my lips unstuck from the bathroom tiles.

Crikey!

This is some serious stuff, especially if you're a twelve year old boy.

Forty years later and it still hasn't learned any manners. How you can tell if it's fresh or not escapes me.

"Mind if I smoke?"

"Not at all. Mind if I puke?"

Made when men were men, and sheep were terrified.

Heinous.

…this one had me crying "uncle" almost before I had it loaded and lit. It is one tough little chunk of...some bizzare mutant offspring of tobacco and kryptonite, dipped in tar and patchouli. It smells just like a walk down any street in Berekely...un-washed "human beings" doused in that sixties era substitute for personal hygiene. Yech.

After ruining a perfectly good afternoon and a few formerly sharp knives, then running this...this...whatever through a coffee grinder, then drying it out forever, I was left with something I thought would be smokable. I was very, very wrong. I loaded it up in a corn cob of dubious heritage, then sat back for a relaxing smoke...not...I worked so hard getting it lit, I needed a crash helmet and a drool bucket. I ended up putting a few pellets of aquarium charcoal on top, fired up with a cigar torch and finally got a few puffs. Turns out the charcoal pellets tasted better than the hash, I mean tobacco. When the tobacco analog finally caught fire, I was overwhelmed with a sense of impending doom. I managed to struggle through a few more puffs. I threw the cob into my neighbors trash, chewed a few charcoal pellets, gargled with some Tabasco and chewed a few more pellets and a habanero.

I did't get the taste out of my mouth, but the guys in the ambulance and in the ER were very nice.

Tin Aroma: Yep. Smells like tin.
Flavor: I think the flavor is in the witness protection program. I couldn't find any.

I trust I did not offend anyone with this post. Just mark it up to the old adage "It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round." All kinds of tobacco, and all kinds of reviewers!

Generally I like negative reviews of things, because (at least at one point) they were likely honest. People like to be "pleasers" and like what everyone else likes (group mentality), but the "group" these days tends to pride themselves on often being uninformed, ignorant tap dancers looking for attention. Information takes a back seat, or the trunk, to creative hyperbole. I blame cable TV, as rap music has been blamed too often. Read yelp.com reviews some time. Everyone's a comedian these days, right?

There are some funny folks out there, intentionally (and directly) or not.

Love,

Wet Blanket Weiss 8)

Thanks for the laughs, this guy has a special talent to put a smile on peoples faces. He could be a writer for a TV sitcom with those lines.

re: kyle

i find that some people like complaining for the sake of feeling special for their discerning tastes. "this has gone bad," means "i have an educated enough palette that i know the difference, and i am complaining to show off"

then their are the complainers to illicit response: "i am going to complain so someone has to go out of their way to 'fix' something for me because i'm special and i deserve it"

sometime's liking something that is good isn't so bad. Honesty is the most important part here, and both sides can be dishonest.

(work related rant... i have to work a double today. for some reasons, all the wack jobs come out on tuesdays.)

A short and sweet TR of Borkum Riff Whiskey: "I can't fully describe it because some survival mechanism in my brain supresses the memory."

thank you SO MUCH for posting that. it totally made my morning!

nearly in tears laughing,
doody

Rob_In_MO":i25nup6l said:
I tried Royal Yacht years ago and didn't care for it. Might give it another try one of these days, but don't hold your breath. My initial review of RY years ago was Not positive. In fact it reminds of my Favorite tobacco review of all time:

'This crap tastes like Mentholated Pig Shit!' :mrgreen:

8)

Storm_Crow":0uxqp3xi said:
A short and sweet TR of Borkum Riff Whiskey: "I can't fully describe it because some survival mechanism in my brain supresses the memory."
I remember that one. In regard to BR reviews, I think that's just the natural place where comedic prose reviews can go.

:lol:

This is why I like reviews that are quantified, like some of those on The Professor's page. This dude might be a phrase maker, but I have no idea what he's talking about. It's a challenge to convey a subjective impression to another person, but this fella makes no effort to do that, at least in these reviews. It's another case of Flashy and Lazy getting the nod over A Homely Bit of Work. Maybe he's a secret anti-smoker.

My favorite TR.com reviewers are Eulenburg (who is a member here), and Lois Kelly. Niether has written a review in a very long time as far as I can tell. But still, for me, their reviews stand apart from the others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My favorite TR.com reviewers are Eulenburg . . .

Agree. Very knowledgeable, succinct, straightforward, credible, can turn a droll quip or three, a bit of a contrarian. In the words of Aristotle, he "instructs and delights." (I think it was Aristotle, maybe not.) He and other tobacco reviewers have done me many a good turn by generously sharing their experience which is far more extensive that my own. And with the price of pipeweed going up, a good reviewer is a valuable cyber-pal. Haven't seen Lois' reviews in awhile.

Oddly, one of those reviewed (…this one had me crying "uncle" ) is something I've been considering, despite that review. . . .