My first pipe....A weekend DIY project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got a mortise carved out of the shank, & I machined the antler to match, I think this is going to work out quite nicely when finished:

Oh now I see what you're trying to do...that antler "band" is going to look great!

I don't know what the standard way of applying non-metal material is, but I know some carvers actually create a mortise/tenon setup with the end-shank material, and then cut another mortise/tenon in the other material to fit the stem. I believe they usually use a fixative of some kind to hold the shank decoration in place and of course leave the stem free so it can be removed for cleaning.

How's that antler smell when you turn it--burning hair mixed with other weird animal smells? :lol:

8)

Stackle2":3hxywsys said:
Well, got a mortise carved out of the shank, & I machined the antler to match, I think this is going to work out quite nicely when finished:

photo_18.jpg

Ohhhh yeahhhh! Can't wait to see this one finished!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That is an excellent solution to your problem! Props for plunging right in. I think that is going to look great!

Kyle Weiss":4oz1y8zb said:
How's that antler smell when you turn it--burning hair mixed with other weird animal smells? :lol:

8)
Yeah, kind of like burning livestock...its bad. Lol, wish I was turning it. I'm doing it with handtools, just taking off a milimeter at a time & test fitting it. Actually got the antler cut down to a band, & have it epoxied in place now, going to give it 24 hours to set up before I start shaping it. It looks good though, the antler has a nice pattern to it once you grind down the outer layer.

You keep that good craftsmanship up, and if I ever crack a stem, I know where I'm sending it. 8)

Inspiring...I think the beauty of a pipe is more in the effort it takes to attain it rather than merely the acquisition. Nice work. Looking forward to the pics of your finished beauty.

Did this one ever get finished?
I''d love to see the results

It looks like it will turn out pretty sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!! Cant wait to see the final product.

Haven't seen Stack around here lately. He's obviously a busy man. I'm eager to see the finished pipe, but if I have to wait, I have to wait.