My First Pipe: Completed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one killer pipe, awesome work! Can't wait to hear how she smokes and to see what pipes are gonna come from some of those other blocks you bought! I absolutely love the graining and stain on it, it really completes the Danish flare in my eyes at least. All in all a beautiful, functional work of art, and on your first go even!

I actually got this wood from Pipe Maker's Emporium. They had a sale on Tassili Mini blocks two summers ago and I bought 6. ALL OF THEM SEEM TO LOOK THIS GOOD. No joke, I won the freaking lottery here.

So this was #1, I've started #2, ruined the first #1 :)(), mailed a block to Kyle which got lost and we are now trying to track down, leaving me two of these stunning blocks left. I've got a small order of much cheaper briar on its way to me, so I may knock that stock out making some pipes and save the transcendent wood for after I'm able to refine some of the technical aspects further.

No matter what I do, I'll post 'em here! :D
I'm going to show this to some folks at the CPCC meeting this weekend and then it's getting lit up! I'll report back on my findings. :study:

Thanks again everyone!

Wait, the block you sent was from the batch from which you made THAT pipe? Oh good god I hope we can recover it!

As it turns out, I think Todd is sending me some spade bits he's creating for me to drill my own chambers--yeah yeah, I know my emotional diatribe about pipe carving notwithstanding, I'm a stubborn bastard and one day I'll have a shop where I can make a masterpiece like the Uber Pipecarving Wonder here... :p :lol!: 8)

(...probably not, he's waaaaaaaaay more patient than I am... 85 hours... sheesh!) :D

That grain is RIDICULOUS! One hell of a pipe, especially for a first go-around.

Indeed very nice grain, And being your first pipe you are off to a fantastic beginning. There is sure a lot of talent here on the boards, fine craftsmanship.

Just a thought what if one day one or several of these emerging pipe artist were to carve some BoB exclusive pipes? Kinda like commemorative pipes marking some year milestone of the founding of the boards or dedicated to some member or cause (stamped BoB and any other relative info)

Or Even Pipes of exclusive nature made by BoBer's for BoBer's.That would make for a really nice keep sake. to covent and pass along. Like 10-20 years from now one could reminisce and share pics "hey look I got this BoB pipe back in 2012 way before cars could fly :p

Or even Hey I got this pipe way back when tobacco was legal and the great grand kids say "Tobacco what the hell is that??"
Funny yet unsettling thought eh? :bounce:

Nice pipe work it inspired thought. :study:

Sheeeeeeeet!

That thing is effing crazy good! Well done, dave!

Damn, I know I'm new but you don't have to HIDE shit from me! ;)

I think I want #5! :mrgreen:

Behike54":kqv8pj7j said:
Sheeeeeeeet!

That thing is effing crazy good! Well done, dave!

Damn, I know I'm new but you don't have to HIDE shit from me! ;)

I think I want #5! :mrgreen:
LOL! This was hidden about as well as an elephant behind a street lamp. :p

#5? You got it. ;)

BTW, you've got a PM from me concerning some more HTF baccy.

R.A.":nyfg41as said:
Just a thought what if one day one or several of these emerging pipe artist were to carve some BoB exclusive pipes?
I LOVE this idea! On a different board I've been a member of, every year they have a bigger-name make a "board exclusive" pipe... But that isn't nearly as cool as having a board member carve it!

Great work, Uberman, and a belated happy birthday! It's been a pleasure watching the process. Makes me want to give it a try.

williamcharles":jf3ayt67 said:
EXCELLENT! Have you christened her yet?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VGpQej3o9eo" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol!:

I have to repeat the above:

How's it smoking? Don't keep us waiting!

Also: where are the pics of the next one???

Yikes! Sorry guys. I completely missed the last few posts!

I thought I'd started a new thread about the solo smoke but I guess I forgot. :oops:

So I brought this pipe with me to the CPCC meeting on Saturday the 11th with the intent to fill it with some aged OGS that I have for its maiden voyage. Instead, one of the club members offered me some very special baccy from House of Calabash. What the blend was, I cannot remember, but damn I wish I could.

This pipe smoked like a champion. I believed (and still believe) the airway at the bit to be too wide, but the airflow in the pipe was practically perfect once there was tobacco in there. From the creating side, I can't imagine ever getting the bit thin enough to be comfortable with the airway at 2.5mm, but damn did that provide a great draw. I'll be asking around how to have a thinner airway but maintain airflow like that. It was very easy to keep the tobacco lit, even when I set the pipe down for up to 5 minutes, it stayed lit like it had never left my mouth. The flavor was incredible and now every time I look over at this pipe, I start to salivate thinking about that first smoke. I've still got the taste in my mouth.

I'm going to keep on smokin' this pipe and will report back if I get a similar experience with other blends. The first smoke was transcendent, which I can only take partial credit for due to the extremely high quality of the baccy. What a solo voyage!

Amazing pipe. I hope my first go is as amazing when finished. How did you attain the striking coloration?
what stain and techniques were use to get that striking contrast?

Thanks for sharing your success!

I just wanted to come in here and say that I think you found the perfect shape in that block and the grain looks fabulous. :cyclops: for a first pipe. I hope I find half that beauty in mine.

Judging by the top quality of "your first" I see a lot of promising pipes yet to come from your efforts. Nice grain, color and shape. The stem joint is a little off, but I'd gladly own a "first" like that in my collection. I am looking to start carving myself, and I can only hope my first, comes out as nice. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your further efforts.

I was reading back through this thread and saw that I never responded to a few folks! Sorry for the delay, guys! :p

The technique I used to get the contrast stain is one outlined and recommended by Todd Johnson. I have to agree, I'm really happy with the way the finish turned out.

I'm now working on #3 which is my first commission pipe. It's been slow going (surprise) but I hope to have it done in the next two weeks or so. You can keep track with what's going on with the pipes I'm working on at dshpipes.blogspot.com. I update every few days when there's stuff to report. This weekend pipe #3 should see a lot of progress and you'll be able to read all about it at my blog.

To everyone who's followed and following along, thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. This community is indispensable to me and I really can't tell you how much it means to have the full support of the wonderful people in it.

Thanks everyone. :D

I was thinking, when that shank shattered, why not glue up some other material and shape it back to what you wanted. Like Savinelli does with the NonPariels. That would be a novel approach and add some length back to the shank.

I recently got a sizable bonus from my work place, and am starting to build up a Carving shop myself. My wife recently called our marriage quits, so I have two room in the trailer that are empty. Perfect for setting up shop, I think. I used to work for a Furniture Re-finisher, and wood craftsman, many years ago. So I have some Lathe Working experience, and general wood working knowledge. I've started gathering tools. I have a double wheeled, cloth buffer coming, and an ancient but working Craftsman Metal Lathe w/ 3 & 4 Jaw Chucks, and all the other things, like cutters and what not. ($50 from a friend, can you believe it?) I have tools from PIMO coming, now I need to get me a bandsaw, and a sanding / shaping wheel. I already have a small bench press drill, and other odds and ends. I've also got a 2lb block of Carnuba and Red Rouge in the post. Now all I need is some briar, bits, lucite rod stock and dyes, and I should be able to start the ball rolling. With the wife gone, I need a hobby. I work from home via Telecommunication, so I hardly ever leave the house any more, and my shift work is so slow (I barely take 3 or 4 calls a month.) They are mission critical calls though and a lot of money rides on their resolution, hence the reason my company forks over the dough to keep me on at nights. I work the "graves" three days by thirteen hours. That leaves me four days a week at my leisure. I live in BFE South Carolina, in a town with barely 2000 people. A dying Mill town, with basically the only population left is the Pensioners, that have no reason to flee this dying place. So my days are long and quiet. I am in the Computer Industry. I work for DELL in a support role for Enterprise Software. Which is a fancy way of saying I support a Product for the migration of thousands of machines from old Operating Systems to New ones, and the setup of their networking, and whatnot. It can be a real pain when you've got an Onsite Technician bogged down with 50 machines not Migrating, for some odd reason. I mainly deal with the over Seas Customer base.

Anyways, sorry to run off on a tangent. Back to my earlier thoughts. Maybe you could incorporate some exotic woods into the shank, like purple heart or Cocobola, or better yet Zebra Wood. That would give your work a really distinctive look, or you could try using a synthetic material, like lucite or Delrin. Using lucite would make the mortise / tenon less prone to expansion / shrinkage while hot from smoking. Or you could incorporate brass, or aluminum, something soft but still carve-able / machinable, that would add a really nice touch. I know you're done with the pipe now, but keep this in mind for the next "OOPSie" moment.

Anyways, I look forward to your future work, and picking your brain, when I get the ball rolling myself.

CygnusXII":vysf5jsk said:
Anyways, I look forward to your future work, and picking your brain, when I get the ball rolling myself.
My brain is free to pick, but it sounds like you may have a much better setup than I very very soon! Maybe I'll be picking your brain. ;)