My First Tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyS

Reaction score
As you guys pro'lly know, Smokingpipes.com has a sale going on Dunhill 'bacco. I thought I'd try some tinned bacco. I've heard Nightcap and My Morning 965 mentioned a lot so I ordered a tin of each. I received them yesterday and proceeded to give each tin a good whiff. Wow! :affraid: Am I right guys that these are considered full English tobaccos? The first thing I thought of when I opened the first tin, Nightcap, was a fungal-ly mustard smell. I admit I thought, "What the hell did I buy here?!" :shock: :lol: I've never smelled 'bacco like this but I -am- intrigued! :) I guess what I've been getting from the local shop is considered aromatic compared to this stuff. Still intrigued though! :bounce: So now should I let the tins sit open for a day or two to dry up a little...the bacco seems a bit moist, or keep'em closed and simply try a bowl or either? Thanks.

Both 965 and Nightcap are usually just right to load and smoke directly from the tin, so I would not wait, just open the one you want to try first, load your pipe, and enjoy one of the benchmark English blend/mixtures ever made! They ARE different in aroma and flavor than you may have gotten used to with aromatics but you may find a new area of flavors than you have before ! Enjoy :p

If you're smoking them in pipes you've smoked "aromatics" in, there's likely to be an awful clash of flavors.

Try them in a cob 8)

:cat: :face:

Seems you already opened both tins.

If so, and you don't plan to smoke the tobacco in both your tins within 3-4 weeks, I'd seriously consider putting each in a new (or very clean with a new lid) screw top Mason jar.

Even if the tobacco tins have a screw on lids, leaving them in the tin for longer will dry out the tobacco and this is not recommended.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll be trying the Dunhills in my new estate pipe. It's just finishing up its S&A treatment so pro'lly Tuesday will be D-day....Dunhill day. :D

To buck the trend, I do suggest drying out a little. You'll know what suits you best, but switch it up. I don't like swampy, moist smoke, and I smoke slow enough to not have 8% humidity (or so, compared to the 10% - 15% in many pipe tobaccos) burn too hot. I also live in a very dry area, and I don't think my senses "get it" in moist circumstances.

There's no right or wrong there, just discovery. 8) Nightcap is good stuff, though. It's sleepy little brother EMP is a top favorite of mine.

You guys like this stuff?! ;) After two bowls of MM965 in a new cleaned estate pipe I can say this is not something I'd buy again. I haven't tried Nightcap yet but I think I'll pass on it since it smells pretty much the same in the tin as the MM965. I like the nic-kick, the cool smoke, and only lighting each bowl just once that the 965 provided. Otherwise I think it's rather bland with detections of a nice light Cavendish but that's about it. The rest was like a leather belt. :tongue: This opinion I'm solely baseing on the 965 experiences alone, not comparing to anything I've smoked before. Should I pack both tins away for a while and see how they age or sell them?

TonyS":a3cq2cmb said:
You guys like this stuff?! ;) After two bowls of MM965 in a new cleaned estate pipe I can say this is not something I'd buy again. I haven't tried Nightcap yet but I think I'll pass on it since it smells pretty much the same in the tin as the MM965. I like the nic-kick, the cool smoke, and only lighting each bowl just once that the 965 provided. Otherwise I think it's rather bland with detections of a nice light Cavendish but that's about it. The rest was like a leather belt. :tongue: This opinion I'm solely baseing on the 965 experiences alone, not comparing to anything I've smoked before. Should I pack both tins away for a while and see how they age or sell them?
Unless the 1 bowl's worth of 965 really disagrees with you, I would give it and Nightcap at least a tins worth of a try. Some folks are just NOT English/Balkan smokers and that's just fine :p Both of these blends are considered "benchmarks" of this style of blend so many others of this style you might try are going to be a " variations on a theme" sort of thing. Nightcap will have a deeper note to it and a LOT MORE of a nic hit than 965, which many ARo's don't have. Hang in there :p

TonyS":392809u7 said:
Nightcap is an entirely different beast from 965, in my opinion, so try a few bowls.

If you've not tried English blends before, I think you're possibly getting off on the wrong foot with these. I smoke more English/Balkans than any other style, yet I dislike and have always disliked the Dunhill blends. I'd have suggested some of the great blends made by GL Pease or even McClelland. Another good blend (especially for an aro smokers) would be Northwoods or even Countryside by Boswells. In fact, if you're into aros, I recommend calling Boswells because they make some of the best aromatics on the market and you can try these other two blends, which are a much better introduction to latakia (again, just my opinion). I think latakia is an acquired taste. It's one that most of us come to appreciate, but you kind of jumped into the deep end of the pool on your first outing.

It's very likely the Latakia tobacco in those blends that's throwing you. It's kind of an acquired taste when first starting out.

If you've smoked only aromatic blends to this point, it's no surprise that those two hit you rather hard in the taste buds...like smoking the dregs of a campfire in your mind I suppose. You might think of a more gradual progression that jumping into the 'full English' styles. And I would suggest keeping those tins...you'll likely come around to them at some point. Or, offer it for trade here on something more suited to you. Of course when you ask what it is you should be trying...you'll get a hundred different answers, maybe 10% of which will work for you.

I think you've got three direction that might work. 1) try a blend with very light Latakia. 2) go a different direction and try a Burley blend, of which there are many that are good crossover types. 3) try going more toward a Virginia blend that is what we call a 'semi-aromatic' or a natural aromatic. In other words, not the sweet goopy stuff more aromatics are known for, but something that has a light flavor perhaps but primarily lets the natural tobacco flavors through.

Good luck.

And BTW: I'd agree with Kyle, I'd suggest drying it a bit. It never hurts and can only help. But drying it won't make it into something that you like, given your description of your reaction.

Lastly: There are guys out there, lots of them, that started smoking aromatic blends and still do...they just improved the quality of those blends over the years from the Altadis drek to the higher class items.

Bah - just stick with Aromatics, if those are what you really like. :twisted:
I smoke a wide variety of pipe tobaccos, but Aromatics are still my favorites after 20-years.

Smoke what you like. In the end, you're the only one you need worry about making happy.

Though I do like both blends you have (Nightcap and 965), it is an acquired taste.

Rob_In_MO":byv5r4a9 said:
Bah - just stick with Aromatics, if those are what you really like. :twisted:
I smoke a wide variety of pipe tobaccos, but Aromatics are still my favorites after 20-years.

Smoke what you like. In the end, you're the only one you need worry about making happy.

Though I do like both blends you have (Nightcap and 965), it is an acquired taste.
I still smoke aros myself, but my faves are English. It's true he might not come to like latakia blends at all, but I'd hate for him to give up on an entire genre of tobacco just because he ended up trying what I would call the wrong ones first.

But you're basically right -- smoke whatever you happen to like.

I'm mostly into virginia blends now, but I agree with others here who suggest you give those Dunhill blends a chance and smoke the tins, because like so many other blends that others appreciate, it does take time to "get it." These are both very good English blends.

If you just can't see doing that ATM, then jar them for a later visit.

Ok guys, I'll take your advice and keep them. I've smoked a few more bowls of the 965 and I'm starting to appreciate the flavors more. The first few times might be attributable to the new pipe I was trying them in. I see the journey is just beginning..... :)

Yeah, I admit it, I like the Dunnie lat-mixtures. :lol: MM965 isn't always in my rotation, though. It has an attitude that I only go for once in a while. I had some with a bit of age on it, and it was pretty different than a fresh tin. Nightcap is good more often a than not for me, and EMP still gets reached for the most.

Latakia was mentioned as the "...marmite of tobacco..." over on the Pipe Smoker's Cubby, and I like that assessment. There's more ways to enjoy Latakia, though. If I may, Pipeworks & Wilke in Vermont, blended by Carole, did a GREAT job of introducing me to the magic of Latakia. If you like, spend the $30 on a sampler of four or five of P&W blends that sound good to you. Some of them are light, gently aromatic and really quality tobacco.

http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

Hang on to those tins you might not be diggin' on now, you might just change your mind in six months after traveling a few different paths.

Or, maybe not. It'll be fun to try, though.

8)

When I first started smoking Latakia blends regularly I used to go to small shop close to where I worked. They had no bulk blends as all...being more a cigarette and cigar shop. But they did have a complete selection of Dunhill blends. This was 10 plus years ago, whomever knows the Dunhill history (I don't) might relate who was making them at the time. Be all that as it may, I used to consider 965 to be like a sort of 'basic' Latakia blend. At least it played that role for me. I far preferred London Mix and Standard Mix Medium, and smoked the London Blend far more. I still have some of that vintage of 965 around, marked 2000/2002. I might have combined a couple of tins, or more...or even more likely it could have been bulk, which was available at the time.

Then, as now, I liked the lighter blendings where Latakia was condimental rather that the principal flavor. Having been on a long term "No Latakia for Me" program I'm just starting to come back around...but still the very light blendings are the ones I'm OK with. But during this entire time, I still favored a very few, chief among them being GLP's Samarra. The review comment that most closely matchs my experience is, "Samarra will seem like a sweet Virginia-Perique blend with only a bit of Latakia and oriental spice to those like myself who prefer heavier Balkans, and it will seem like a medium English-Balkan to those who normally smoke VaPers.". I like the sweetness, I like the hints of Orientals and Perique and the level of Latakia is subdued to a light/moderate level. For whatever reasons., it works for me.

Kyle Weiss":nkgn7ka9 said:
Latakia was mentioned as the "...marmite of tobacco..." over on the Pipe Smoker's Cubby, and I like that assessment. There's more ways to enjoy Latakia, though. If I may, Pipeworks & Wilke in Vermont, blended by Carole, did a GREAT job of introducing me to the magic of Latakia. If you like, spend the $30 on a sampler of four or five of P&W blends that sound good to you. Some of them are light, gently aromatic and really quality tobacco.

http://www.vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

8)
Great analogy Kyle. I personally love marmite, but like Latakia it's an acquired taste. Had some today actually (marmite).

And I heartily recommend P&W #78 and Churchill for Lat blends that are restrained and at the same time very complex. Always rung my bells anyway.

Cheers,

RR

Blackhorse":a0fkxx1f said:
When I first started smoking Latakia blends regularly I used to go to small shop close to where I worked. They had no bulk blends as all...being more a cigarette and cigar shop. But they did have a complete selection of Dunhill blends. This was 10 plus years ago, whomever knows the Dunhill history (I don't) might relate who was making them at the time. Be all that as it may, I used to consider 965 to be like a sort of 'basic' Latakia blend. At least it played that role for me. I far preferred London Mix and Standard Mix Medium, and smoked the London Blend far more. I still have some of that vintage of 965 around, marked 2000/2002. I might have combined a couple of tins, or more...or even more likely it could have been bulk, which was available at the time.

Then, as now, I liked the lighter blendings where Latakia was condimental rather that the principal flavor. Having been on a long term "No Latakia for Me" program I'm just starting to come back around...but still the very light blendings are the ones I'm OK with. But during this entire time, I still favored a very few, chief among them being GLP's Samarra. The review comment that most closely matchs my experience is, "Samarra will seem like a sweet Virginia-Perique blend with only a bit of Latakia and oriental spice to those like myself who prefer heavier Balkans, and it will seem like a medium English-Balkan to those who normally smoke VaPers.". I like the sweetness, I like the hints of Orientals and Perique and the level of Latakia is subdued to a light/moderate level. For whatever reasons., it works for me.
For years, around '01 or so, London Mixture rang my bells. Even brought a tin of it to the UK on my '01 holiday. Kind of like "taking coals to Newcastle" in a way.....

For some reason I've strayed from lat blends since coming back to the pipe several years ago.

That might be turning around though....

Cheers,

RR