My first two English pipes. *pics*

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hater

Reaction score
So, I have Danes, Italians, Americans, and a german but I have yet to have a potato head or an english.... until now insofar as the English goes.

Behr was very nice and sold some of his B-Line Dunhill seconds and I picked up the creme de la creme (imho of course) with this Group 6 bent, which as it turns out is one of my best smoker, and right out of the box too:
29dijyd.jpg

And then I just picked this nice old Charatan bent chimney off Ebay for a song. I don't know what it is but I LOVE tall chambers. Very tall chambers! Love me some Chimneys.

21jdbih.jpg

1z2gjr6.jpg

The first one I may be able to clean myself but the second one I may need to hire this guy:

dzfog2.jpg
:lol:

Next up, A Pete!!!!!!!!

The stem on that Charatan needs a good cleaning! Nice looking pipes though.

Nice looking full bents. Now you need to get some British Bulldogs/Rhodesions !! Very British :p

monbla256":zzrjbnlr said:
Nice looking full bents. Now you need to get some British Bulldogs/Rhodesions !! Very British :p
At the local B&M I've got my eye on a fat moustache Caminetto bent bulldog. Is that sacrilege?

Bottom line, though, is my next purchase will be a Pete.

Hater":1wp196xi said:
monbla256":1wp196xi said:
At the local B&M I've got my eye on a fat moustache Caminetto bent bulldog. Is that sacrilege?

Pete's good, Try a 999 or 80s or 150s , Nice traditional Brit style Bulldogs/Rhodesians!

monbla256":ej1wjs60 said:
Hater":ej1wjs60 said:
monbla256":ej1wjs60 said:

Pete's good, Try a 999 or 80s or 150s , Nice traditional Brit style Bulldogs/Rhodesians!
So if you were to reccomend THEEE brit style bulldog or rhodesian to have you would reccomend ____________?

Hater":ahlv1klc said:
So if you were to reccomend THEEE brit style bulldog or rhodesian to have you would reccomend ____________?
:study:

monbla256":ahlv1klc said:
8)

Hater":pm1kxqhy said:
A nice Roslare 999 like mine :p Beautiful grain, sterling band and amber-like stem :p

3437b1-1.jpg

Oh, and they smoke - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :p

Kyle Weiss":ghsx8gpz said:
Hater":ghsx8gpz said:
:study:

monbla256":ghsx8gpz said:
8)
\AS a noob I counter with the factor that I am still stuck on location. When I asked for an English bulldog or Rhodesian I sillyly (yeah I just made that word up) meant from England. I know very litle about English pipes. :)

monbla256":z616wg1e said:
Hater":z616wg1e said:
A nice Roslare 999 like mine :p Beautiful grain, sterling band and amber-like stem :p

3437b1-1.jpg

Oh, and they smoke - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :p
that's a beauty. Let me ask you a question. Is it hard to keep a see through stem clean?

Since your now married, and have the attendent NEST'g costs, you'll need to re-think your price point on your pipes. I was gonna suggest a nice grp4/5 Dunhill Cumberland St. Bulldog but at around $500.00 a bit on the pricey side! Here;s a nice full bent GBD over at smokingpipes.com, a nice pre-Codagan for a more reasonable price!

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=91867

They sell some nice estates and are good folks to deal with! It's not a Bulldog, but it is a VERY BRITISH looking pipe :p

Well, depending on who you ask, Ireland is a part of England. Not that some of the Irish wouldn't take exception to that, though. Finding a "true English pipe," is going to be tough, though, since the briar won't be from there, sometimes isn't even turned there, but might be finished there... *shrug* All I know is, Petes smoke nicely, they're made well, they look good and they're affordable. 8)

Hater said:
monbla256 said:
Hater":f4ij4g8x said:
that's a beauty. Let me ask you a question. Is it hard to keep a see through stem clean?
Just a little alchohol on a cleaner thru the stem once in awhile. With it being "amber" looking you don't notice it as much as with the clear "Perspex" stems that you can find on older GBDs.

monbla256":s9qkls6u said:
Just a little alchohol on a cleaner thru the stem once in awhile. With it being "amber" looking you don't notice it as much as with the clear "Perspex" stems that you can find on older GBDs.
Ig'nunt GBD question: So, the round, metal GBD logos (called something else, I know) and the painted-on variants--the Canadian "Collector" I have is a perspex stem, but has the painted-on gold GBD (ever-so faintly) on there. Is this a pre-merger or a post-merger?

Kyle Weiss":2spfn9qv said:
Well, depending on who you ask, Ireland is a part of England. Not that some of the Irish wouldn't take exception to that, though. Finding a "true English pipe," is going to be tough, though, since the briar won't be from there, sometimes isn't even turned there, but might be finished there... *shrug* All I know is, Petes smoke nicely, they're made well, they look good and they're affordable. 8)
Right on Kyle. Thanks for the lesson. I just love learning about this stuff. I was thinking of Dunhill,Charatan, Comroys, and Ashton etc... So none of those pipes are turne there etc?

Kyle Weiss":fiofqvhc said:
monbla256":fiofqvhc said:
Ig'nunt GBD question: So, the round, metal GBD logos (called something else, I know) and the painted-on variants--the Canadian "Collector" I have is a perspex stem, but has the painted-on gold GBD (ever-so faintly) on there. Is this a pre-merger or a post-merger?
That's a laterpipe after they were sold and became a part of a bigger group of pipe firms. Same outfit bought them and others after 1980 or so. Here's the time frame as is written in Pipedia:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=GBD

Kyle Weiss":rxidepmb said:
monbla256":rxidepmb said:
From what Ive heard the painted logos are the less desireable and post '81 pipes.

edit: what monbla said... lol

From the books I read (I suggest looking up authors Ehwa or Hacker for starters) there's some discussions that I've even followed onto the venerable Internets that alludes to briar going through quite a few steps before it ends up at the place where it is finally finished for retail sale. There's definitely blocks of briar that go to (or have gone to, more accurately) England, and get shaped, finished and polished, stamped and boxed-up for sale, but I have no idea which is which. Some lines and periods of time probably do have some lineage that can be traced back. I don't know what it is, and from the aforementioned discussions I've lurked through, there's even some debate about that. Poor records, fluctuating economy/demand, business practices and decisions, all changing through the years make it tough to nail down. I'm not that much a devotee to any line to care that much, I just want it to look good, smoke good, and hell, if some history is attached, I'm alright with that, too. 8)

...as for my GBD, it was a gift from a kind brother, so no lookin' that horse in the mouth. 8)

Hater":p4yw5w9n said:
Kyle Weiss":p4yw5w9n said:
Right on Kyle. Thanks for the lesson. I just love learning about this stuff. I was thinking of Dunhill,Charatan, Comroys, and Ashton etc... So none of those pipes are turne there etc?
You need to go outside this Forum and read up some more. Those are STILL British firms with many such as Dunhill, Ashton as well as Charatan STILL making pipes in England with probably only Dunhill and Ashton still at the same original facilities. They all have at variing times have outsourced rough turned pipes from others all over the world. ( Dunhill adamitly says they don't and haven't, some "experts" say they have, since I've never worked for them I couldn't "expertly" say :p ) If you want STRICTLY British made pipes you will need to probably go with Estate pipes from the early 70s back to WWII rea. Or just buy brand new Dunhill's or Ashtons :p