My first two English pipes. *pics*

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":o91ny49t said:
Well, depending on who you ask, Ireland is a part of England.
Yeah, if the person you ask is WRONG. :p
Sorry Kyle, that just brought out the nit-picker in me. True, an older pre-republic Pete would be politically British, but that's not the same as being English, which denotes geography or culture. Now, if he found an old London-made Peterson, that would be an English pipe all the way.

Kyle Weiss":scnnb3ul said:
Not that some of the Irish wouldn't take exception to that, though.
Hey, I had my arse covered. :p Ain't my fight in the end, I just like Petersons. 8)

monbla256":nes9d73q said:
[

That's a laterpipe after they were sold and became a part of a bigger group of pipe firms. Same outfit bought them and others after 1980 or so. Here's the time frame as is written in Pipedia:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=GBD
I finally had a moment to brush up on this stuff...

Might be true, until I read this from that Wiki:

"In the late 1960's to late 1970's, they introduced the "Collector" and "Unique" lines, made primarily by Horry Jamieson, who had carved for Barling for many years, and was skilled in freehand design. Older GBD pieces are excellent smokers and unique in design. "

...so, it might be possible what I was given is a very, very late pre-merger Collector with post-merger Comoy stamping method. I doubt very seriously there was a sudden day that manufacturing processes were simply "replaced," and I doubt that they just threw out briar and stems that were "old GBD" (unless they were damaged). Transitions are usually not that cut and dry--there had to have been a slight mixing/matching of old and new at some point. Makes business sense--waste not, want not.

Just my theory, and whatever the case, it's a nice pipe.

Hater":fburgdve said:
At the local B&M I've got my eye on a fat moustache Caminetto bent bulldog. Is that sacrilege?
Sacrilege?
Only if you don't want hot chicks constantly bothering you.
But seeing as how you just got married, maybe the Peterson is a good choice...

Harlock999":s5193l67 said:
Hater":s5193l67 said:
At the local B&M I've got my eye on a fat moustache Caminetto bent bulldog. Is that sacrilege?
Sacrilege?
Only if you don't want hot chicks constantly bothering you.
But seeing as how you just got married, maybe the Peterson is a good choice...
i don't apreciate your sas, mister.