My little buddy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1095 High Carbon steel is the way to go for sure. That's the ONLY high carbon steel billets I purchase. I think Kbar uses old leaf spring steel in some of their blades. Can you tell I'm not a big Kbar fan....lol. Five years ago Kbar was of much higher quality steel.

Arky, I also recommend who Blackhorse told you to check out. Check out some of their kits. Also check out Jantz supply here: www.knifemaking.com/

You can purchase a good 1095 heat treated blade and make your own handle. You enjoy working with your hands. Good luck :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Arky, or start out with a 440HC pre-made and heat treated blade. The HC stands for high carbon and does not rust like 1095. But 1095 if maintained properly holds a much sharper edge and if kept clean and oiled will not rust. NEVER leave a fixed blade knife in its sheath for long periods of time, because of moisture. Have fun!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

For me...I would really prefer A2. But an old leaf spring would be very acceptable. That would be 5160 spring steel. It's what the authentic Aranyik Thai and the Bidor Malaysian blacksmiths use. It's exceptionally tough and durable and takes a very sharp edge that is easy to come to.

As with most steel it's really all about the hardening, quenching, etc. That's what allows the right structure to form inside the steel.

Blackhorse, A2 and " 5160 " proper spring steel are both great for making a knife. It's ALL about the heat treatment at the proper temperature, proper quenching and tempering the blade. Each steel mentioned achieves best results at slightly different temperatures, also the proper tempering, which is extremely important. I've also used D2 steel billets, depends on the knife I'm making at the time or a request. All of the above steels take and hold an edge well.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Blackhorse":uouak08i said:
Yeah, it's a sweetheart. If it had documentation (provenance) that it had been carried in Viet Nam it would have significant value. As it is, that's not going to happen. But aside from monetary value it has great sentimental value to me, in terms of friendships. And I'm holding it to pass on to my son as a memento that represents my own service in Viet Nam with the 11th US Cavalry.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there BH. Monetary value is of little importance if you've no intention of selling. An attached story, friendship, and an opportunity to pass on to a son is beyond value. Yup that's a real treasure.