My morning smoke....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_68

Reaction score
Most of the time, a morning pipe is just that...time to "wake up" with a cup or 2 of coffee and smoke a bowl of whatever strikes me. Usually whatever aro I'm enjoying at the time since they typically go well with the coffee.

This morning, was a bit different and it feels like something I want to write down(or type I guess). This past week has been rather trying and I was able to exercise some things with my pipe this a.m. that I TRULY needed to...here's my story:

It pretty much started Thursday of last week - one of my systems at work ended up, for lack of a better term, worthless and needed replaced. This was accomplished on Friday which meant for me, the rebuilding of the software stuff had begun. There were issues and I worked the better part of the entire weekend on and off so it meant I was never far from my laptop(yes, I was able to be at home) and busy. The family made the best of it, taking our trips away from the house during my "breaks" and making them short so I wouldn't be gone too long. That was annoying but fine with me, regardless of the fact that I won't be at this job by the end of the year, as I've been told....more to follow on that.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning...I'm at work and I get a call from a friend advising that he had heard a rumor that one of our mutual friends was dead. This is someone that should be working at my location so I set out across the property to where he parks his car and sure enough, it's not there. I didn't know what else to do so I called his cell which went to voicemail. Now begins the process of trying to find someone/anyone that might know the story...which ended tragically of course! My friend was indeed, gone...from an apparent suicide as if to make the event even more awful.

How? Why? This is someone whom, although we weren't as close recently, I had ridden motorcycles with and had seen almost every working day for that past 12 years! What could have happened??? I've still not received confirmation as to how he died, but I think I know...

Adding to that, when I got home Tuesday evening I had an email from, what I had hoped, would be my future employer thanking me for interviewing and my interest - but they weren't hiring me...nice...thanks guys.

Which brings me to this mornings smoke....I decided I would smoke my second bowl in my new Peterson St. Pat's 80s, and I would try Key Largo. It was the right choice...I thought about my friend and how short life is, I put my failure at landing that job in it's place and I reaffirmed to myself that I am a lucky man! I have a great family, great friends and am able to enjoy things that many others either can't or just don't..it wasn't a good week...but my morning smoke!?! It was good....

Way to keep positive and the good things in perspective. It's really hard not to fixate on tragedy and misfortune, but if you have good enough things surrounding you it's pretty easy to deal with them. A good pipe can often tie things together, equalize the situation and allow perspective to be fair, concise and honest..very much a comfort and a good friend in good times and bad.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

As for a job? Just tell whatever power you believe in, or just convince yourself, that something will happen, and it'll manifest. 8)

I have a very strong opinion about suicide, but this is not the time to express it. My wishes to his family and friends.

Your morning smoke experience is encouraging. Smoking a pipe full of good tobacco is a time for contemplation and reflection and clearly today was a necessary time for that. We live our lives differently, but a common thread amongst the brothers is that we realize how important it is to have that time to ourselves to catalog the days events, realize what is important, and dismiss what is not -- which is the vast majority.

On the lighter side: As far as the job... F it. They missed out on a person who would show up to work every day and put heart and soul into what he is doing, because we know that hard work leads to good money which can be used to buy expensive pipes.

Sounds like you've got it sorted out the best you can Mike.

Thanks brothers...I knew I'd have some kindred spirits here to listen and make it a bit better as well...you guys are great and I thank you!

I'm very sorry for your loss, Mike. My best friend from childhood was officially asleep at the wheel when died in a head-on with a semi in '98. Those who knew him and his troubles suspect a darker truth. It's one of those things that weighs on you. As I light up my own 80S, I raise it to fallen friends, yours and mine, forever in our hearts. May the smoke carry our love and prayers to the heavens.

Thank you George..and my meer-full of Old Dublin is alight with that sentiment right now!

My regards to bit you and his family, Mike. It's good to see that even in dire times like that you are able to be thankful for what you have and what is to come. I'd enjoy a pipe for your loss and Dave's new addition today, but sadly I'm ill right now so I'll have to save that for another day.

itsKot":bvo96cbu said:
My regards to bit you and his family, Mike. It's good to see that even in dire times like that you are able to be thankful for what you have and what is to come. I'd enjoy a pipe for your loss and Dave's new addition today, but sadly I'm ill right now so I'll have to save that for another day.
Hope you feel well soon..thanks for your kind words..

"...I reaffirmed to myself that I am a lucky man!"

THAT is very important to remember, I think. Compared to so many folks who have tragedies in their lives (e.g., the recent news about a mother who lost her husband and two daughters in a house fire), we are very lucky indeed.

I always hate to hear of a lost friend. Especially the way you lost yours. All we can really do is a day at a time any way, And you have a good grip on things. In my life there aint no old friends of mine left, Because of one reason or another. And the new folks you meet, there just isnt that old connection. Maybe thats good. Hang in there brother. enjoy what you have, Never let your self get over whelmed with lifes petty problems.

plumbernater":y15x981g said:
I always hate to hear of a lost friend. Especially the way you lost yours. All we can really do is a day at a time any way, And you have a good grip on things. In my life there aint no old friends of mine left, Because of one reason or another. And the new folks you meet, there just isnt that old connection. Maybe thats good. Hang in there brother. enjoy what you have, Never let your self get over whelmed with lifes petty problems.
+1...thanks man...

Mike, sorry for your troubled times and very sorry for the passing of your friend.

Family and friends are what will get your through these rough spots. The solitude of a pipe is an excellent way to reflect and appreciate all the good things, but it is the companionship that makes them happen in the first place.

Mr. Mike,
That was a very encouraging story. It pleases me to know that there are still people in the world with a higher attitude especially in situations that should bring it down. I'll be praying for you pal. But I'm glad to hear that you're still in the positive. I'm all done with my Dunhill Morning Pipe Match, but the next pipe I lift towards you. Good luck with the job hunt, if it continues, and my prayers are with your friends family. Have a good week,
Zach