My new smoking cabinet

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riff raff":2h1zv6x7 said:
That is fantastic!  I've never seen such a piece.  

Thank you Sir, I haven't seen one like this either but I am glad my wife spotted it I just love it.

Best Regards
Richard

Dutch":cwnwrjva said:
Nice cabinet Richard! I have one that is very similar to yours. Here is a link to a previous thread where I posted some pics. I thought that the small plates were ashtrays as well, but Monbla suggested that they were most likely intended for drying pipe tobacco. Judging from their size, I am inclined to think he is correct.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19195p60-vintage-tobacciana
Looking at yours, I completely agree. The plates are not ashtrays. However, in the one in this thread I think I can almost make out rests on Richard's.. So they look more like ashtrays to me. Maybe Richard can confirm it?

Dutch":3l0a00fg said:
Nice cabinet Richard! I have one that is very similar to yours. Here is a link to a previous thread where I posted some pics. I thought that the small plates were ashtrays as well, but Monbla suggested that they were most likely intended for drying pipe tobacco. Judging from their size, I am inclined to think he is correct.

Very interesting thank you Dutch I have been looking all over the place trying to find ashtrays that looks good and fit s in the small cutouts and the plates does make more since than ashtrays.

Best Regards
Richard

juanmedusa":6clmfg8b said:
Dutch":6clmfg8b said:

Looking at yours, I completely agree. The plates are not ashtrays. However, in the one in this thread I think I can almost make out rests on Richard's.. So they look more like ashtrays to me. Maybe Richard can confirm it?
Juan, with antiques this old, there is always a high probability that some of the components have been replaced. Especially components that are susceptible to breakage, rust, etc.

Add to that the fact that some antique dealers will try to find a replacement component, to increase the potential value of an item, you have to consider that some of the components may not be original.

I have also found that with some of these vintage collectible pieces, the form follows function mentality was not a primary contributor to the design. When you consider that these pieces were designed to store tobacco, and retain it's moisture, the designs were very poor at achieving that goal. My guess is that visual appeal to the consumer was a primary motivation in the design of some of these pieces.

juanmedusa":ttxptm75 said:
Dutch":ttxptm75 said:

You are indeed correct the ashtrays did not come with the cabinet I got them at a flea market just trying to find something to fill the pace. Now I know it takes plated I am on a new hunt.

Best Regards
Richard

Growing up in a house full of pre Revolutionary and later eighteenth century American furniture in our house, my mother was from New England and grew up in a house built in 1756, I find it interesting how something made in the middle of the 20th century is considered an ANTIQUE !! :twisted: Since I'm from the same period I guess I'm one also !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":ihqgv5kb said:
Growing up in a house full of pre Revolutionary and later eighteenth century American furniture in our house, my mother was from New England and grew up in a house built in 1756, I find it interesting how something made in the middle of the 20th century is considered an ANTIQUE !! :twisted:  Since I'm from the same period I guess I'm one also !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  

Sounds like you had a great childhood, your not a antique good sir your like a fine wine or well aged tobacco just better with a little age :D

Best Regards
Richard