My snuff stash (retitled thread)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaiser83

Reaction score
So the heat here is making it so I only get to smoke a pipe once a day...sometimes. I tried to convince them that they needed to let me smoke while I work but that didn't work since I am in an office (it's Afghanistan you would think they wouldn't care lol). So I had to come up with something else to do and dipping just isn't an option for me (bad experience as a youngster with my dads "Pepsi" bottle). So I have decided to give snuff a try. I have read some and have a few questions still but I am sure my inquisitive nature will be appeased by the time my order gets here. I ordered from Mrsnuff.com and got:
1 x Wilsons Crumbs of Comfort 25g
1 x Wilsons Extra Crumbs of Comfort 25g
1 x Wilsons Extra Crumbs of Comfort 10g
1 x Wilsons Crumbs of Comfort 10g
1 x Toque Chocolate 10g
1 x Toque Coke 10g
2 x Samuel Gawith Elmo's Reserve 10g
4 x Samuel Gawith Chocolate 10g

I am assuming that will hold me over for a while and once I have given it a try I will go ahead and order more if it is something I want to keep doing, heck I am sure the wife will be much happier with snuff than she is about smoking. She hasn't complained about the pipe yet and has even gone to look at some for me (her own idea too), but she loathed my cigars lol.

Any suggestions on which to try first or others I should try would be more than appreciated. I was looking for the Windmill one....the exact name eludes me right now, but I came up short on locating it.

Thanks.

Okay so I think I found this Dutch Windmill stuff. I had to google it but apparently De Kralingse Latakia, under Dutch tobacco on Mr. Snuff is Dutch Windmill Latakia that I have been reading about. Darn foreign languages lol. So come payday I will have to grab a couple of their blends too to give a try. Hopefully lat blend snuff is akin to lat blend pipe tobacco. This new snuff world is interesting and I can't wait for my orders to get here.

s.ireland":6ypbjc3z said:
Wow! That should be enough to keep you busy for a long while
I hope so, mail is up to a month wait to get out to where I am now. Better to get the orders in early and have enough once I start than kick myself for not having ordered enough.

kaiser83":gghnmka5 said:
s.ireland":gghnmka5 said:
Wow! That should be enough to keep you busy for a long while
I hope so, mail is up to a month wait to get out to where I am now. Better to get the orders in early and have enough once I start than kick myself for not having ordered enough.
Very true.

The only other snuff I would have recommended (I think it is perfect for beginners) would be F&T French Carotte. It's damn good and still my favorite. I have a good supply... When you get to an address that's easier to receive mail, let me know I'll include some French Carotte with the rest of the stuff that I owe ya :)

Will do buddy, and thanks. It will probably be a few months. We are out on a couple month rotation to "less desireable locales" but the rotation seems to be pushed back at least a month per person so I will be stuck here for a decent chunk of time. If my pipes that went to the other site ever get redirected to here I very well may just volunteer to stay out here a while. Less people tends to equal less BS and a calmer life.

I guess it's about time I got off my @$$ and answered the questions you asked me this morning, Kaiser! :lol:
(For everyone else's benefit, Kai PM'd me with some basic questions about snuff that I figured I might as well address in the open forum.)

...Also I assume most people just use the pinch or back of the hand method, but what is up with the bullets, do they just tip up a normal amount for you to sniff? I am looking to do something while I fly and I can't smoke my pipe in the office. I guess snuff is just this new crazy world like pipe smoking was just a yea ago...
Disclaimer: I ain't no expurt about this. :geek:
As a beginner, a little pinch about the size of a lentil or split pea should do it. Some like the back of the hand, others just finger pinch it directly to their nose. Personally, I do it from my thumbnail, as I tend to have sweaty hands at work. I make a little "cup" by curling my index finger around the end of my thumb, tap out a portion onto the back of my thumbnail, then raise my thumb to each nostril. There are also little tiny spoons you can get for this, or improvise something similar. I've found the nail file on my miniature Swiss army knife works well.
The important thing for a noob to know is not to sniff too hard. That's not a rail of blow you're snorting. The snuff should stay in the lower part of the nose. If it goes way up in your sinuses and hits the back of your throat, it'll just give you a nasty, bitter, post-nasal drip. If it makes you sneeze at first, don't worry about it; that happens. If it makes your nose run, blow it out. (Now would be a good time to start carrying a dark colored handkerchief.)
The bullets are, as you guessed, little dispensers that you stick up your nose like a nasal spray bottle. By twisting the tiny nob on the side, it measures out a dose into the "nozzle". I suppose they're convenient, but I don't like them for two reasons. One, it gives you little choice in the amount of snuff you're getting, and two, the nozzle (or whatever you call it. Insertion device?) makes you want to stick it further up your nose than you'll want the snuff to go. Your mileage may vary.
Finally, yes, you've entered a new realm tobacciana, with the acquisition disorder that goes with it. Good luck! :p
-G

SAD (Snuff Acquisition Disorder) and also my general mood in knowing that if I like it I will be spending even more :affraid: :lol!: . Thanks for the answers George, much appreciated. I was looking at the dispenser dealios and thought the spoon might be easiest, but for the time being once my snuff gets here I am planning on just using the spoon on my 3in1 pipe tool.
I actually just had my sis run by Wally World for me for hankies and she ended up grabbing a yard of brown cloth that the neighbor is going to sew around the edges and make a few hankies for me. I expected black or blue (not having said what it was for) but got lucky that brown was on sale. Thanks for the answers, suggestions, and help it is much appreciated. :D

kaiser83":mu2x2yza said:
SAD (Snuff Acquisition Disorder) and also my general mood in knowing that if I like it I will be spending even more :affraid: :lol!: . Thanks for the answers George, much appreciated. I was looking at the dispenser dealios and thought the spoon might be easiest, but for the time being once my snuff gets here I am planning on just using the spoon on my 3in1 pipe tool.
I actually just had my sis run by Wally World for me for hankies and she ended up grabbing a yard of brown cloth that the neighbor is going to sew around the edges and make a few hankies for me. I expected black or blue (not having said what it was for) but got lucky that brown was on sale. Thanks for the answers, suggestions, and help it is much appreciated. :D
Brilliant! :cheers:

I have always used the spoon of the Czech tool as well. It's perfect really and I keep one on my keychain so it's always handy.

I usually measure out the proper amount onto the back of my hand and take the snuff from there

kaiser83":qav8qszy said:
...but for the time being once my snuff gets here I am planning on just using the spoon on my 3in1 pipe tool.
Wow. That actually NEVER OCCURRED TO ME! :x I feel like I've been trying to pound nails with the claw end of a hammer and just now realized the other end is better suited to the task. I've probably actually moved a pipe tool out of my pocket to get to my knife to take some snuff before! :p
Nice score on the custom brown hankies. Brown ones are hard to come by. Although...are you wearing Multicam or ACU over there? If it's Multicam you could probably just use your sleeve and no one would notice.

I am rocking a t-shirt and blue jeans. Over contractor side buddy. My guard unit wasn't going anywhere anytime soon and this lets me pay off the bills. I don't think brown stains on my blue jeans would be too becoming, but then again I am not trying to impress anyone either lol. Glad the 3in1 idea was useful to you too.

kaiser83":sn2y6q1t said:
Over contractor side buddy. My guard unit wasn't going anywhere anytime soon and this lets me pay off the bills.
Gotcha. Either way, take care of yourself, man.

One other thing worth mentioning for newcomers: A lot of sources with recommend you start out with a coarser grind. I disagree. I find the finer stuff has more flavor and you learn best by making mistakes. Once you've shot a few pinches straight to the back of your throat, you'll have a pretty good idea of how to sniff lightly. :p

I completely plan on sitting there like a wuss and barely sniffing until I feel it go into my nose lol.

I am assuming the tins of this are much alike to storing tins of pipe tobacco, but on the Wilsons of Sharrow site they have 1 pound tubes. Does anyone have experience with those tubes to know how they store? Thanks.

kaiser83":7oi8stsd said:
I am assuming the tins of this are much alike to storing tins of pipe tobacco, but on the Wilsons of Sharrow site they have 1 pound tubes. Does anyone have experience with those tubes to know how they store? Thanks.
No experience but I just wanted to say....

HOLY S**T!!!!

Are you thinking about buying a pound of snuff???? That is SOOO much! Haha that would be a lifetime supply for me!

I always go overboard. Besides I am around a bunch of Marines right now and it would be a lot of fun to tell them to sniff really hard :twisted: Okay so I guess I should just stick to tins of snuff. Thank you for telling me how much it is, it is hard to judge seeing as my tins are not even here yet. I just get excited. Heck when I got home last time I had like 11 pounds of pipe tobacco sitting there waiting for me.

I probably went a bit overboard. I have enough pipe tobacco with me to last a good six months or so. But snuff is a different ballpark and an all new one to me at that, so in addition to the two orders I already had in which I listed at the start of the thread I also picked up:
2 x Samuel Gawith Finest Kendal Twist Chocolate (chew not snuff)
1 x Bernard Edelweiss Black Handkerchief (not chew or snuff)
1 x Samuel Gawith Jubilee 2012 50g (pipe tobacco for 100th anniversary)
1 x Poschl Red Bull 7g
1 x Paul Gotard Latakia 7g
1 x Tiger Cherry 10g
1 x Bernard Brasil Doppelt Fermentiert 10g
1 x Wilsons Aniseed Extra 10g
1 x Samuel Gawith Apricot 25g
1 x De Kralingse Choco-L 25g
2 x Wilsons Rose of Sharrow 10g
1 x Wilsons French Carotte 10g
1 x Fribourg & Treyer Morlaix 25g
1 x Abraxas Dragun 15g
2 x Toque Cheese and Bacon 10g
1 x Toque Chocolate 10g
1 x 6 Photo Kailash 6g (free)
1 x Toque Whisky and Honey 10g
1 x Toque Spanish Gem 10g
1 x Toque Absinthe 10g

With all the government shenanigans I want to try as many now as I can, that way I can order myself up a pound of a couple of them to last me for years down the road. Who knows wat will happen to tobacco in the future near or far for that matter.

Not to tease you, Kai, but have you even tried ANY snuff yet? What if you don't like it? :p
And you know that Cheese and Bacon was meant as a joke, right?

Nope havent tried and yet, but if I dont like it there are plenty of Marines around here that will give it a try lol. I get the cheese and bacon is a joke, but it sounds interesting.