Nastiest tasting Pipeful Ive ever had.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
Today, after shoeing and trimming a few horses, I got in the truck and headed down the road to my next account. And I figured I could have my first smoke of the day, as it wouldnt offend my next client.
So, as Im drivin, I pull out my tin of SG Best Brown Flake, and I put a slice on the dash to dry a bit. Then I drove with one hand , and rolled it out into the tin lid with my fingers to fluff it up with the other hand. I loaded the pipe, and proceeded to smoke.
But man ! It was terrible tasting ! I mean absolutely NASTY.
I kept smoking, thinking I must just have some crap in my mouth. LOL, I smoked it to about the bottom of the bowl.

Then it hit me, and I looked at my hands, my fingertips were rubbed clean, but my hands were dirty. And I thought about the day, I had manure, urine, mare in heat juice, and durasole with iodine and other chemicals, and quick poly that is a 2 part chemical, and Thrushy juice which really stinks, all on my hands. But my fingertips that rolled that tobacco were clean. :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:

YUUUUUUUUKKKK !!! So lesson learned,,,I wont be doing that again :roll: :no:

Reminds me of the time I went catfishing and was using my own stink bait. I forgot and brushed my mustache back after baiting my lure. Smelled that stuff all night! I won't bother to tell you what the bacca tasted like since you pretty much know already. ;)

Hey rob, that mixture #79 is good shit ain't it? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'll send you some Borkum Riff (I happen to have plenty)... any addition to that might actually improve the taste. *shrug*

"The Filthy-Hand Pipe Tobacco... every workin' man's best friend...why wash?" :lol:

8)

I've had tobaccos that I'm sure were cased with the same mixture you had on your hands! I'll bet your wife makes you wash your hands before you come to dinner?

Natch

DustyRoundup":y1ehyfjy said:
Then it hit me, and I looked at my hands, my fingertips were rubbed clean, but my hands were dirty. And I thought about the day, I had manure, urine, mare in heat juice, and durasole with iodine and other chemicals, and quick poly that is a 2 part chemical, and Thrushy juice which really stinks, all on my hands. But my fingertips that rolled that tobacco were clean. :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale:

YUUUUUUUUKKKK !!! So lesson learned,,,I wont be doing that again :roll: :no:
Some days at the office just seem to call for a great cigar. A workin' man needs a reward especially after getting mare in heat juice on his hands. Just don't herf with any Italian stallions.

LOL, well I put some "Fast orange" hand cleaner in the truck last night, but got to thinkin that might add orange soap flavor.
So,from now on out , its either fold and stuff, or load a pipe in the mornin to be ready for the drive home.

Oh, and yeah, I'd hate for anybody to ever interpret this wrong , let me just say, the Best Brown Flake is GREAT, and had nothing to do with the flavor in this case.

Read your post and it reminded me of the shoer that comes out to the barn where I stable my horses. He's about 70 and has been shoeing for over 50 years and has probably smoked his two Grabows about as long! When he get's to the barn, he set's up his rig, and before he starts on a horse, he pulls out his Half-Half pouch from his back pocket, loads up one of his bent Grabows, clicks his old Zippo, lights it and we get started ! The pipe stays firmly clenched btwn his teeth as he works and in btwn horses he tamps with his forefinger, and goes on. He'll do 2/3 horses per bowl. And it depends on how many he has to do whether he loads up his other Grabow for more. I've used him for over 10 years now and it's the same routine!! I guess the finger tamping adds some extra flavor, but I've never asked ! Makes him happy :p

Goes to show you can't please everyone. Some complain that BBF lacks taste. Others complain the taste is overwhelming. Sheesh.

We ex-English teachers recall that in Moby Dick, one of the mates, Stubb, loaded up a bunch of pipes in the morning and kept 'em going all day. The book has extensive descriptions of the process of killing a whale, disassembling it, melting down the blubbery parts etc. A messy business. Wonder if we've found the reason for Stubb's pre-loading practice?

KevinM":q9tqnato said:
Wonder if we've found the reason for Stubb's pre-loading practice?
If some AmLit PhD didn't already do that as their dissertation, I'm sure one soon will :D

LOL, Nice KevinM, I did not know that. Thats actually kind of a neat piece of information there.

I know I have learned the hard way, and it is a lesson I will not forget. :D

Hey monbla, how many and what kind of horses do you have?

DustyRoundup":gk2y4z55 said:
LOL, Nice KevinM, I did not know that. Thats actually kind of a neat piece of information there.

I know I have learned the hard way, and it is a lesson I will not forget. :D

Hey monbla, how many and what kind of horses do you have?
I've got two. One Fine Harness mare and a 5 gaited gelding. They both were show horses but now are my "buddies" used as pleasure horses. I still work 'em both thru their gaits and such only not as much "on the edge" as when they were shown. I picked up an old "station break" surrey last year and am working the 5 gaited to harness with the mare and have a pair to pull the break. I raised and showed Fine Harness, Gaited and Pleasure walkers back in the '70s. Now it's just for me and the horses :p

I've made that mistake before with engine coolant while working on my car. Nasty stuff.

Yeah, I can't imagine the best brown flake lived up to its name in that pipeful. Let's hope it didn't ghost your pipe! :lol!:

That sounds more like it was the worst brown flake ever!! Nasty, but I am glad you posted I ll learn through your mistake, usually I am so so damn hardheaded that I have to learn through experience but this one I will rember. BTW I ll never look at Best Brown flake the same again

:lol!: