Need help ID'ing/appraising some pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josjor

Reaction score
On another forum I frequent (motorcycle related) the topic of pipe smoking came up and a member there mentioned he hadn't smoked a pipe in 40 years but still had his modest collection. I asked if he might be interested in selling and he sent me some pictures.

Like most of us, I'd love to get a steal as these are some interesting pipes. But I also want to give him at least close to a fair market price. Karma is worth something, right? :D

Can you all give me some ideas on the following pipes? Thanks.

dsc_0013.jpg

dsc_0014.jpg

dsc_0016.jpg

dsc_0017.jpg

Josjor":a5na8hg2 said:
On another forum I frequent (motorcycle related) the topic of pipe smoking came up and a member there mentioned he hadn't smoked a pipe in 40 years but still had his modest collection. I asked if he might be interested in selling and he sent me some pictures.

Like most of us, I'd love to get a steal as these are some interesting pipes. But I also want to give him at least close to a fair market price. Karma is worth something, right? :D

Can you all give me some ideas on the following pipes? Thanks.

dsc_0013.jpg

dsc_0014.jpg

dsc_0016.jpg

dsc_0017.jpg
Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the pipes except that I would love to buy all of them!! What I would do if I were you is to ask the guy how much he wants. I would easily pay US$50.00 for each of those pipes without even knowing what they are. But, whatever you do, just don't let them slip out of your hands. :lol:

The first one looks to be a Ropp, which is a French pipe, fairly common on EBAY, the second looks like it's stamped "own make", and I think some BBB pipes were stamped in that manner, but it's just a guess on that one. The bottom two are kind of anonymous looking. I would offer $50.00 for the lot.

The bottom one looks like it could be a Pioneer gourd calabash sans meerschaum cup.

No idea what it would be worth.

Rad

Any markings, stamps, names, numbers etc. stamped on them anywhere? If you could send close up pix of those it would help a lot. Also, a view down the chamber (to see how used/abused they might me. The lion has my interest, how does the stem come out, screw of twist/pull?

Any stampings/names would tell a lot.

Natch

The only markings the seller could see were on the second from the top one. It is stamped

OWN (BBB) MAKE

Other than that and the ROPP, he couldn't see anything on them. Unfortunately this is an internet deal and I don't have access to the pipes themselves. The owner said he tried smoking in his late teens/early twenties and just never got the hang of it and switched to stogies. As such, they haven't been used much.

I'll see if I can get some more info. Makes it kind of tough to make him a fair off as so far on this forum I've gotten both "offer $50.00 a piece" and "offer $50.00 for the lot."

:face:

The bottom one looks exactly like a gourd calabash I have. Mine has a clay ( not meerschaum) insert. I bought it about 30 years ago or more.

No diamond in the rough here. The top pipe, poker/churchwarden might be able to fetch $40 , the next one down is fairly unremarkable, maybe $30 - $40, the lion's head which appears to be a meerschaum, maybe $30 - $40 as long as there aren't any major chips. The last one, as Rad pointed out is a gourd calabash, seen a few of these exact ones on ebay. Its missing the meerschaum cup which sits on the top. If it had the cup, maybe $80 but its useless without it, maybe $20. You can buy meerschaum cups online but there will likely be fit issues - and they don't come cheap. On a good day you might score $60 - $70 on ebay for the lot, Harlocks offer for $50 isn't unreasonable.

Is that a Calabash with no cup? I have seen Pioneer years back get creative and carve the gourds and insert a clay cup with no lip above the gourd that looks like what you posted from the side. I do not see a high collectability in any, but you never know it is eBay, all it takes is 2 bidders that must have it.

Well, I ended up with three out of the four pipes. The owner decided to keep the meerschaum lion's head.

The briar pipe turned out to be a BBB (Brittians Best Briar) and after a clean up, has incredibly beautiful wood and is a great smoker. I love the bit. I have a thing for the old Charatin "double comfort" bits and this is nearly as thin.

The gourd pipe doesn't show any sign that it ever had a cap ring and the previous owner, who said he bought it new about 40 years ago, said he doesn't recall it ever having one. It too is a good smoker.

The Churchwarden is about the only dud. Not that it's a bad pipe, but the bowl is about the size of a big mans pinky. About the time you get the tobacco going, you've smoked the whole bowl. If it were a pot pipe it would be called a "one hit." :D

All in all I got one great, beautiful briar, added a nice smoking gourd pipe to the shapes on the rack, and one that is a disappointment. Not a bad $70.00 with shipping. Heck, I feel I got lucky as the briar is nicer than many of the new pipes I've purchased for that price.