Need input on new pipes today

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip48

Reaction score
I am getting in the mood to buy a pipe, but I started thinking of a couple brands, Peterson & Savinelli and I found a couple I like, but the question keeps hounding me that today maybe they are not what they were last time I bought any.

Then I love Caminetto's so what about Radice or even something else I don't have already. Maybe even a Luciano (which I know nothing about) Smooth Poker Pease/DiPiazza. Don't have one like this so it's possible.

Any comments would be helpful on these or maybe something else I should look at. Have not settled on price range yet so please tell me what is you favorite pipe made today.

Any help appreciated,

Skip

Skip48":ni4my3mc said:
I am getting in the mood to buy a pipe, but I started thinking of a couple brands, Peterson & Savinelli and I found a couple I like, but the question keeps hounding me that today maybe they are not what they were last time I bought any.

Then I love Caminetto's so what about Radice or even something else I don't have already. Maybe even a Luciano (which I know nothing about) Smooth Poker Pease/DiPiazza. Don't have one like this so it's possible.

Any comments would be helpful on these or maybe something else I should look at. Have not settled on price range yet so please tell me what is you favorite pipe made today.

Any help appreciated,

Skip
Skip I've never owned a Sav but I've never heard a bad thing about them. My Pete 999 is one of my best VaPer flake pipes and its only a few years old. Radice's are among my favorite Italian brands. I miss the oil cured twin bore's but the new ones are phenomenal smokes. Just last week I picked up a new Lucaino bulldog (Pease/DiPiazza). This pipe has seen daily action since. Its a great pipe and I think there is a lot of value in this brand. The cost was sub $100 and I wouldn't hesitate to grab another.

I'm sure there are others here at BoB who may have varying opinions but this is my $0.02

I'd take a Radice over a Peterson or a Savinelli any day - I think they're way better. Savs and Petes are okay, and the better ones are certainly good pipes. But when you move into a mid grade Italian you are getting better briar and probably better engineering.

i'm sold on the Sasieni big time. but if you've got the itch and a little cash, look up some of our fine pipemakers on these boards. some are pretty reasonable for a handmade.

Sasquatch":cyanbjh8 said:
Just not Sasquatch. He's a twit. :geek:
Ah yes!!! But he's a twit who makes a helluva pipe. You should take a look at the one he's offering in the shameless commerce section! :shock:

Thanks, I am so new here though that I don't know of but one and he's the guys that posted all the pictures in the Photo Gallery. I would love to see some of the ones from here so will try to find some pics.

The only pipe I have that has Radice on it is my Smooth Moustache which has all the names on it from mid 1970's or earlier. Most of my good ones were bought 1975 or before.

I do know the higher elevation the Briar grew makes it better and harder and I know that growing at say 10,000 feet it take a long time for it to grow large enough. I remember being told the low end or maybe I should say the real cheap ones the Briar grown at sea level or low is called swamp Briar.

I wish I knew more of the technical aspects of pipes, but just picking my pipes back up after 30 years kind of puts me a bit lost even on tobacco knowledge. I am learning though.

I am really interested in the Lucaino too, but have never seen one in hand. I don't live close enough to a shop to see anything.

Thanks again,

Skip

I agree with Sasquatch. Of the brands you listed I would say a Radice would be your the best quality and the route I would go. I don't know anything about Luciano pipes really but I have one on order as a POY for another forum so I'll know more come December. I can say that they are good looking pipes at a very affordable price.

I'd like to recommend another Italian pipe, Cavicchi. Claudio Cavicchi makes wonderful pipes that are beautiful and smoke like a dream. I have 3, here are some examples of his work.

cavicchibilliard1.jpg

cavicchibent.jpg

cb3-1.jpg

I'll second that, they really are worth a look, I'm very happy with them,,,

Thanks and I will sure look at the Cavicchi pipes, just too a quick look just now and boy there are some very nice ones for sure.

I had been thinking about getting 2 pipes, maybe a nice Peterson and a nice Savinelli, but maybe I should just look at adding one so I can get a better pipe and probably more satisfied customer in me.

Lots to look at and think about.

Skip

From what I have seen, the Savs, Petes and Lucianos are in the same general quality range...good pipes but not great. My main complaint on all 3 or them is the freakin' stupid thick buttons. I have had all 3 and they smoked well, but the button just annoys me too much. The only one I still have and smoke is a Sav, since it is one my wife got me for my birthday or christmas or something.

Sasquatch make a damn fine pipe. With the exception of a couple of Lasses, the best pipes in my collection are from carvers who do or have posted on this site...Yakslon, Sasquatch, Mike Brissett. Also a Rad Davis and Mark Tinsky. You will get far more for your money going for one of these guys' pipes or one of the other carvers that post in the photo and town crier sections than you will going for a Pete, Sav or Luciano in my opinion. If you are into the italian thing then to my eyes Sas has a bit of an italianesque styling and does it quite well...even when he drills them off center they still smoke great :lol:

Can't speak to Radice, although they do look good and have a good rep. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I saw one that I liked and had the dough lyin around.

In fact, I think you should buy this one...'cause I want it but don't have the dough at the mo' -------> https://www.brothersofbriar.com/towne-crier-f5/full-bent-art-deco-t10217.htm

Skip48":tdfpoaey said:
Thanks and I will sure look at the Cavicchi pipes, just too a quick look just now and boy there are some very nice ones for sure.

I had been thinking about getting 2 pipes, maybe a nice Peterson and a nice Savinelli, but maybe I should just look at adding one so I can get a better pipe and probably more satisfied customer in me.

Lots to look at and think about.

Skip
Here's a shot of a Cavicchi that I wanted to buy, I waited to long. Great looking pipe if you like grain...

cv515g.jpg

Maybe I should ask this as a separate topic, but I have an Autographed 1975 Micoli Free hand that I bought in 1975. I don't find a lot of info on these so does anyone have a good place to look. I am starting to think maybe I should just be looking at it and not smoking it, but it smokes so great! Anything anyone knows would be nice to hear.

I really appreciate you telling me what you think of the guys on this site that make pipes too as that may actually help them sell me one. I have seen some I would jump on, but hesitant since I don't know them well or actually at all. I will sure take a better look again.

There is no doubt that when I smoke one of my Caminetto's verses a Peterson or the one low end Sav I have that there is a distinct difference. I think the older they are the better they seem to be, but I do really like one of my Bent Caminetto's that I think was bought in 1980.
Skip

I have a couple Savinellis that I don't smoke anymore. I got them about 11 years ago. Not bad pipes, but just missing something. I have a Peterson that still works for me. Honestly though, Italian pipes, specifically Viprati, Moretti, Le Nuvole, Radice, Becker, Ser Jacopo, Spanu, Santambrogio, Pipa Croci and several others are well worth their price either on Ebay or through stores in Italy or direct from the maker. Far better than Savinelli or Peterson.

Sasquatch makes a really good pipe. I have a Rhodesian from Todd and it's far better than a similar Mastro de Paja I have.

There are a lot of very good pipes out there. But if the choice is Savinelli, Peterson, or Radice, there's no choice other than Radice. My only dig against Radice however is that I have a difficult time finding them light enough for me. And they are incredibly popular in the states so their prices tend to be a bit much compared to some of the others of similar quality.

:farao: