Need Some Peterson System Advice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Recently I got my first Peterson pipe; a Standard System Heritage 306. I discovered three things from this purchase:

1) The thing smokes wonderful!
2) I don't like the P-Lip
3) I don't care for full bent pipes

Not giving it up, as, like I said, it smokes great.

The thing I need help with is related to something I read in the Peterson Pipe Notes #397 (it's a "Pete Geek" email that I subscribe to. It was lamenting the Mark Twain Deluxe pipe, which purported to be a System pipe, but lacked the "tenon extension" or "chimney" of a true System pipe, and how they don't smoke as well without one. You can read the article for yourself, rather than I recount the whole thing.

https://petersonpipenotes.org/397-t...tenon-extensions-the-peterson-system-patents/

Question is related to my pipe in that it is a System pipe also, and also lacks the tenon extension. Did I get ripped off, or is that just the way it is nowadays? I don't know how significant this is. Should I try to get a replacement stem that has one? And in that case, I wonder if such a thing exists in a fish tail.

Standard System does not have the aluminum piece on the end of the stem. Deluxe System does.
I see. Thanks!

I shall read that!

Thanks to you both!

Like already said, the System Standard does not have the chimney. Nor do the System Spigot. Just the Deluxe, at the moment.

The System Premier has the chimney but I don't think they make them anymore - besides the 308 Revival but there's only a few left at SPE.

Of note, the POTY 2021 and 2022 are System pipes which have the chimney.

Recently I got my first Peterson pipe; a Standard System Heritage 306. I discovered three things from this purchase:

1) The thing smokes wonderful!
2) I don't like the P-Lip
3) I don't care for full bent pipes

Not giving it up, as, like I said, it smokes great.

The thing I need help with is related to something I read in the Peterson Pipe Notes #397 (it's a "Pete Geek" email that I subscribe to. It was lamenting the Mark Twain Deluxe pipe, which purported to be a System pipe, but lacked the "tenon extension" or "chimney" of a true System pipe, and how they don't smoke as well without one. You can read the article for yourself, rather than I recount the whole thing.

https://petersonpipenotes.org/397-t...tenon-extensions-the-peterson-system-patents/

Question is related to my pipe in that it is a System pipe also, and also lacks the tenon extension. Did I get ripped off, or is that just the way it is nowadays? I don't know how significant this is. Should I try to get a replacement stem that has one? And in that case, I wonder if such a thing exists in a fish tail.
The comment that the Peterson Mark Twain doesn't smoke as well without the tenon extension is one man's opinion. It isn't mine nor is it the opinion of a great many MT Pete smokers that I know. I have three Twains that smoke great without it. They have a great draw every time. That guy is a purist with Pete conceit, and he is entitled to have his own opinion. Having a pipe with the original design is a cool thing, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the pipe is going to be a lesser smoker without the extension.

The 4AB POY have the metal tenon extension. I took mine off all eight so I would have a fuller draw when I smoke. That's my comfort level.

As for the p-lip, it's all about how your teeth align so there will be debate about it for that reason. I greatly prefer it to the fish tail because it's easier for me to clench, and perfectly fits my teeth. I thank Mother Nature for that. :) That may be your problem with it. For some, there is an adjustment period because they aren't used to it. Some get used to it and love it, and others don't. I've seen purists cry a river over having no p-lip, but really, it comes down to a matter of personal preference on both the p-lip and the tenon extension. Even though I prefer the p-lip, I must say that I don't have a problem with the fish tail bit, and I enjoy my Petes that have that particular aspect. I think one's comfort level is the most important aspect in this entire discussion.

Last edited:
From my experience, I have found System pipes with the chimney to release more tobacco flavors than without them; and this, right from the start.
It could be because of the chimney but it could have nothing to do with it and everything to do with the briar probably being more seasoned on the Deluxe than the Standard ones.

From my experience, I have found System pipes with the chimney to release more tobacco flavors than without them; and this, right from the start.
It could be because of the chimney but it could have nothing to do with it and everything to do with the briar probably being more seasoned on the Deluxe than the Standard ones.
Yep, could be your aftershave, too, lol.

Making definitive statements about my pipe habits seems to be a risky thing. I change too much!

The new list (slight alterations):

1) The thing STILL smokes wonderful!
2) The P-Lip is growing on me
3) I STILL don't care for full bent pipes, but I'm not getting rid of this one

What I like about the P-Lip now is that it feels so smooth. It's acrylic, I guess, and I find that Vulcanite feels dirty in my mouth, no matter what I do. The curve under the P-Lip is indeed a good place to set you're tongue. Through experimentation, I found that there is ONE place between my teeth where I can clench it, but there's also a protrusion on a tooth that blocks the hole! I don't think I'm going to go get dental work to accommodate the P-Lip.

I find myself wanting to buy another Peterson. I don't have anything else that comes close.

I've smoked it a few more times since this, and it grows on me. That pipe is the best smoker I have. Still don't like full bent, but that's easily avoidable.

I've been doing a little pipe shopping online, heh. Budget's a little crampy this month, so maybe June.
The story of my life! So many pipes, so little time!