New albums in the works

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update-

Just came from a recording session, or should I say mixing session. All tracks for the next CD (all-instrumental surf music) have been recorded and now it's time to mix it all down to stereo. We established a criteria today which will be applied to all 21 songs on this project, so while only getting through 2 of them in 4 hrs the time was well spent in setting up priorities for each instrument, EQ, effects, stereo image, and much more. There's much more to this than one can imagine!

Now that that has been done, the engineer can start to apply the same criteria to the other songs and move forward faster. It's pretty mind-boggling when one considers all that has to go into this phase. Total concentration, and attention to finite detail is the order of the day! Yet I enjoy it and am glad to be involved in this process.

The goal is to have the whole surf project mixed by the end of August, since Sept will find my engineer involved for virtually all the month on another assignment and thus have no time for my music until the end of Sept. So he's getting stuck in now while he can.

I've got a mix of the opening salvo of this to critique and so far it sounds fantastic!

8)

Cheers,

RR

8/14/16

One of the more enjoyable (and challenging) aspects of putting a new project together is dealing with the graphics. As I'm completely unable to do this on my own I rely on those with far more experience and knowledge.

So, the graphics for the surf project are much less intensive than the previous project. Yet they still involve a great deal of planning and thought.

Although it may be limited to a 4-page booklet this time (as opposed to a 20-page last time) which includes the cover of the jewel case, as well as the back of the jewel case, it's still challenging enough.

Had the photo shoot a few weeks ago, and that was a hoot! Too much to go into.

Yes there will be photoshopping involved like last time, and the guy I have on this project is well suitable for the task. He's been sending me roughs of the layout over the past few days and it's apparent he has this well in hand. Just need to iron out a few details here and there.

Looks like this aspect will be wrapped up very soon, and I have all the copy ready to go which will be added to the appropriate pics. The graphics guy will then assemble all these for printing by the CD people.

Yes, I still make those funny little round things! And there will be a limited run of them for the surf project, as well as a free download from my website for those of you who don't do physical copies.

Future projects might be download only. Toying with that idea, as well of the notion of updates such as these.

Cheers,

RR

Update 8/19/16

Very encouraging session yesterday.

Had the cellist come in first to cut her track on a duet for classical guitar and cello for the upcoming acoustic project. This gal is a badass, totally professional, and we got her tracks down in well under half an hour.

We cut 2 good takes as written from the chart, and then I asked her to do a variation on a couple sections, which involved transposing to a higher octave. She sailed through this with one practice run, as it involved a different bowing.

I love working with musicians like this. They come totally prepared, and have the training/experience and mojo to handle last minute changes. Very satisfied with her contributions.

Next up was to shift gears and address the surf project. My engineer had a further 8 tunes for us to go through, and due to time constraints on my part got through 6 or 7 of them.

We'll continue this adventure next week, and there's a further 8 tunes to be dealt with on this project. But we're making great progress, and it's exciting. For me anyway.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Update 8/26/16

Had a very productive session yesterday.

This past weekend I wrote yet another surf tune, despite being in a dry period for composing for a few months. This one just sort of fell in my lap as it were, and just had to include it on the surf project. Too good not to!

So, put all the wheels into motion. Wrote the chart, sent it to the contributing musicians, organised the sessions, etc. And yesterday cut the guit tracks for it, which took a hr at most including the sound checks. Rhythm guit, lead, and harmony.

The bass guy put his track on today and sent it to the percussionist who will come in next week to add his track. So the surf alum now has 22 tunes!

We're also in the final stages of this project, and the studio engineer has been slaving away on the mixes. Just have 4 to go now....(actually 5 with the new one). Should be finished up this next week, then I'll get a final mix to approve before sending it off to be mastered.

Plus, after the surf stuff yesterday I had a very talented Dobro guy come in to cut his track on one of the tunes for the acoustic project. He delivered in spades and am very satisfied with his contribution.

So it's been a very good week for tuneage.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Holy wow Rande, when do you find time to even bother showing up here? I can't imagine having that many irons in the fire at once. Looking forward to hearing the new stuff though so carry on mate!

Jim

I marvel at this too Jim. Industrious would be an understatement.

I'm very impressed with your continued progress Rande. The Downbeats are a still regular feature of my morning commute!

Stick":ndf3nir1 said:
I marvel at this too Jim. Industrious would be an understatement.

I'm very impressed with your continued progress Rande. The Downbeats are a still regular feature of my morning commute!
Happy to hear you're still enjoying my last effort mate. I listen to it regularly, and never tire of it. Hope you'll also enjoy the surf project.

Cheers,

RR

Update 9/7/16 -

Now going over the final mixes. Have a few tweaks yet to do, but they're relatively minor. Yet I want this to be 100% so will take the time.

Got all the pics from the photoshop guy and they're all fine beyond measure. Really pleased.

I'm meeting with the graphics guy soon and he'll put all the copy into the pics and present a final product to the CD folks.

Should have the final mix in the hands of the mastering engineer by the end of the month. So I'm making progress!

Cheers,

RR

Just came from a session where we did the final edits. Now it will go into mixdown mode.

The engineer will do a few mixes and send them to me to critique for the purpose of making sure the various instruments are balanced and in the proper stereo image.

So, we've reached another milestone!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Final tweaks to the graphics now complete. Looks great. Azz-kick!

Final mixes are a little behind due to the engineer being engaged on a pre-existing commitment. Now back on track. As they say, watch this space!

Cheers,

RR

So, the other week I wrote 2 more surf tunes and figured that it was too late to include them on the current project owing to the progress on everything.

Had a chat with my engineer today, and where he's at on this project it turns out it will allow the inclusion of the new tunes. Provided we get them done asap.

So I've booked some studio time this week to cut the guit tracks. The engineer (who is also the bassist) will add his tracks and send the rough mixes off to the drummer. Hopefully his schedule will permit getting in shortly after that. He's a very quick study and this stuff is second nature to him.

This won't delay the overall picture, since we're a little further behind anyway owing to the engineer having a 3-wk live gig that pushed all studio time out. So we're just starting the final mixes, and that will take a while.

So now there's 24 tunes total on this 2 disc set. And the new ones are pretty kewl, if I do say so myself! In fact one of them will feature a new (used) axe I picked up recently - a Danelectro Baritone. Really looking forward to that!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Just came from a way great session where the drummer cut his tracks on the last 2 tunes for this project. I'm not exaggerating when I say it took longer to do the sound/EQ check than it did for him to cut his tracks. He cut 2 tracks on each of the tunes, and it will be difficult to decide which one is best!

In addition the engineer had 7 final mixes for me to critique, and I've been listening to them at home just now. They're all fine beyond measure, and serve to express my vision on this.

He clearly has this well in hand, and I gave him licence to go forward with the rest of the tunes. He'll have them ready for me later this week. So we're making major progress!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Crossed the next milestone yesterday. Got all the 24 final mixes to critique, and have been performing due diligence on them.

They all sound fantastic and the engineer has done a way great job with the spirit and intent. However, being the OCD individual I am I'll want to make a few small tweaks to them. Nothing much really, but if I don't they will always bother me.

So I'll be going back to the studio early this coming week to make those changes, and then it'll be off to the mastering engineer. And he has assured me that he'll make time for my project.

I expect a pretty quick turn-around on this from him, as it isn't nearly as involved as the Bobby Dancer project.

All to say it should be in the hands of the CD duplication folks and ready by the end of the month....God willing and the creek don't rise!

These are some way great twangy tunes, and of course I'll be making some promo copies available here gratis.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Crossed the finish line today and the project is now ordered - WHOO-HOO!!

There were some last minute issues with some of the artwork, but my graphics guy straightened it out and I approved all the proofs.

So now it'll be about 2 weeks until I take delivery, barring no problems. So in due course I'll be starting a thread inviting all the brothers and sisters on BoB to get a free copy.

:bounce:

Cheers,

RR

Congratulations Rande, I'm looking forward to hearing the music. I know these projects take allot of time, but it was time well spent I'm sure :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Brewdude":4u9khdif said:
Crossed the finish line today and the project is now ordered - WHOO-HOO!!

There was some last minute issues with some of the artwork, but my graphics guy straightened it out and I approved all the proofs.

So now it'll be about 2 weeks until I take delivery, barring no problems. So in due course I'll be starting a thread inviting all the brothers and sisters on BoB to get a free copy.

:bounce:

Cheers,

RR
Dude count me in. Id love to hear your art