New Churchwarden

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm posting this in the DIY instead of the Town Crier because it's not for sale. I just wanted to show you all some pictures. This is the first churchwarden I've ever done. I decided I'd keep this one and smoke it. I love a nice long pipe.

The hardest part about these guys (for me) is cutting the stem. There's a lot of room for error on a stem this large. What do you think about this crazy stem? Does you think it works?

Take a look and see what you think.

IMG3673-L.jpg

IMG3676-L.jpg

IMG3683-L.jpg

IMG3678-L.jpg

IMG3680-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Brian.

WOW! That thing is beautiful! I love the color scheme, and that stem is spot on. Nice work man!
It's GOOD :cheers:

MAKE MORE JUST LIKE THIS ! :cheers: I really like that just great.

Brian, you're gonna hate me because I know long stems are a pain to do, but I think in order for it to be a proper warden the stem needs to be a few inches longer.

On the bright side, she looks like a wonderful pipe. I bet she'll provide years of faithful service. I really like what you did with the extension.

Fantastic work Brian!! The color combo is sick! I love the white stem.

Ocelot55":5u6gxg7t said:
...I think in order for it to be a proper warden the stem needs to be a few inches longer.
How 'bout we call it a "Princewarden" and leave it at that? :p Excellent work, Growley!

As usual, I think your work looks fantastic. Perhaps the Princewarden name fits a little better (unless we are just missing the scale of size).

I agree! The Color Scheme is fantastic! Gorgeous all around! And you made a new Pipe Shape! Princewarden. I like it!
Zach

Brian,
The pipes you have shown us have to be some of the FINEST I've enjoyed looking at ! As fantastic as your photo's of them is, I can only imagine what they must be "in situ" :p I'm not a big fan of the opaque/milky type of acrylics for stems but you have made this one work and work well !! I like Zacks name of "princewarden" for it, it fits ! That's some of the nicest work I've seen !! Thanks for letting us see it :p

Fishfuzz":mh1coeyz said:
...Perhaps the Princewarden name fits a little better (unless we are just missing the scale of size).
Ah, yes. That pesky matter of scale. Have we learned nothing from that "tamper" debacle last month? :p

Did kyle get the patent on that vibrating flake tamper yet? :confused: :lol!:

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yea, it's probably not as long as a standard churchwarden. To give you an idea of it's size, the bowl is about the size of a golfball, maybe a bit bigger. The total length is 7". A "normal" churchwarden probably has a bit smaller shank which leads nicely to a longer slimmer stem.

I didn't feel that a longer stem would have carried the bulk of this bowl well, so I decided to try it a bit shorter and stouter. That decision was also more easily made by how much of a pain it is to cut these things, as Ocelot has so aptly point out. This is the second stem this guy has seen. I had about 2 hours of work into the first before it broke on my lathe.

It kind of reminded me of a prince at one point, so maybe a Princewarden is a good name for it. I'm excited to see how it smokes. Maybe I'll take it out tonight.

I'll probably end up making more of these. Now that I've got a good process down they won't be so bad.

Thanks again. I appreciate the support of all my brothers!

That pipe has a lot of "cool!" going on.
The shape, the plateaux rim, the stem...nice!

I absolutely love that pipe!! George picked an appropriate name for it,,the Princewarden. I really need one just like it. :cheers: :cheers:

No one else asked...they just stood there agape, staring at it. :lol: "Not for sale," just means "...not yet for sale." :p

I'm not gonna cut in line, now that I know it's a hit with the crowd. :lol:

Best way to make something desirable: tell people they can't have it. 8)

Kyle Weiss":utyg1ou4 said:
I'm not gonna cut in line, now that I know it's a hit with the crowd. :lol:
You're just afraid someone will lay some whupAzz on you. :lol: