New computer advice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I am overdue on upgrading my home 'puter. There are more and more sites it refuses to connect to as they apparently have too much data or something and my old timer cannot handle it.

So what I'm looking for is just a tower. Don't want a laptop. I might consider an all-in-one, but my present monitor is more than adequate.

I don't do games or stuff like netflix. Just basic stuff like e-mail, web surfing, and of course the forum. I occasionally like to check out youtube for tunes and movies there.

So what should I be looking for in terms of specs? I don't need the top of the line.

And I'm given to understand that $250 - $300 will get me what I need according to my local computer geek.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

BD,

I have some thoughts on this, but I'm no expert.  In my personal opinion, you could probably have one built for between $250-300, but in my opinion, it will take closer to $350 to get a decent system that can handle your needs, and leave you an extra buffer to accommodate any potential need to upgrade in the future.  For example, check out this little baby that's available at Costco: https://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-TC-Tower---Intel-Core-i3.product.100383325.html

Something like this would be more than adequate.  Will have plenty of room for storage of music, photos, documents, etc...and be powerful enough to multitask if necessary without slowing your machine down too much.

Just my novice opinion.

Loren

BriarBeagle":ycvmfqz0 said:
BD,

I have some thoughts on this, but I'm no expert.  In my personal opinion, you could probably have one built for between $250-300, but in my opinion, it will take closer to $350 to get a decent system that can handle your needs, and leave you an extra buffer to accommodate any potential need to upgrade in the future.  For example, check out this little baby that's available at Costco: https://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-TC-Tower---Intel-Core-i3.product.100383325.html

Something like this would be more than adequate.  Will have plenty of room for storage of music, photos, documents, etc...and be powerful enough to multitask if necessary without slowing your machine down too much.

Just my novice opinion.

Loren
Thanks Loren, but I'm not a Costco member. And $300 is the max I can afford.

Cheers,

RR

Rande, whenever we've replaced a desktop we've always just built it ourselves. Tigerdirect.com has ready built systems that should be more than adequate for your uses for under $200. They also have systems that will run 250-300 if you want more bells and whistles. We've never had any issues dealing with these guys and have always gotten a good deal.

Jim

Sorry Rande,

i'm not very helpful. I'm sure you'll find several options in your price range, especially with the upcoming memorial day sales.

Best,

Loren

Check out Fred Meyer. Their home electronic department has a few, or Walmart. Fry's electronics have many you could get delivered buying online.

https://images.frys.com/art/email/052018_sun098yrt/sun_pop.html#set1

They say they'll pay the sales tax too. Can't beat that, eh?

https://www.frys.com/search?to=99&cat=-68380&sort=price%20desc&nearbyStoreName=false&from=0&query_search=desktop&pType=pDisplay&fq=a%20Regular%20Items-p10099997%20100ahju7h01*200

This one is right at your threshold for price. Sounds like more than enough Brewdude power!

Hope this helps....

R - you should go with the advice of your local computer geek...if he is a vendor. If he runs a shop, that is.

I think that for a basic system it would be good to find a small local shop that builds computers from components. But only if they do a warranty thing right there in their shop. I would go there and tell them what you want to do...that you want name brand top of the line components...and find out what they could do for you. In your specific situation I think haveing a LOCAL builder that would stand behind a machine would be a huge benefit. Really, almost any otaku guy could put together a more than adaquate system for you.

As you can tell I’m a little off main name brand systems. Each of my kids has been through multiple desktop and/or a laptops over the years and even though they both bought warranty plans, one was well served but the other got totally screwed (and he’s an IT manager and major gamer). I would ALWAYS buy a long term warranty. Expensive - yes. But well worth it if and when things go south.

Me? Don’t go by what I do. Even a laptop is too much to lug around for me. I bought an iPad and will never go back. Android pads are fine too. Bought the model right below their top of the line iPad Pro (the iPad Air 2+) so I get 80% of the function of the best one for half the cost. Incredible screen, great camera system, blazing fast...no start up time...yadda, yadda, yadda. They have different model names, etc. now, but you get the drift.

Good luck.

Appreciate the intel gents.

I do have a Fred Meyer about 1/2 hr from me, and the Fry's is only a little further. No Wally World's around this neck of the woods. There's also a Best Buy right next to Freddie's, so will start by checking those out first.

I have reservations about getting anything that has been refurbished, and I clearly don't possess the skills to build one myself. So it'll have to be brand new with a warranty.

The local geek advised on a HP laptop, and said I could get one that would suit my needs for $250-$300 at Costco. But there again I'm not a Costco member and have no interest in becoming one. The geek is just that - an IT geek that deals with far more intricate and complicated issues than my simple needs.

Not aware of any local shops that can build one for my needs either. I-pads and the like are not on my radar.

I will look at Tigerdirect just to see what I can see there. The price point looks right in my wheel house, and if they can fit my needs and concerns then why not? But if it's refurbished stuff, no cigar.

Given that I have just a few months left until retirement and a huge decrease in income, I need to be frugal going forward. As a verse in one of my tunes went - "No more parties and wine".

Cheers,

RR

"No more parties and wine"

Whats wrong with beer?

one of the big hangups older computers have with new websites etc is not enough RAM. These new websites, software updates, and apps eat up RAM. I'm not an expert in any sense. I'm running a 2008 tower and Windows 7. When I ask better informed minds about why I'm having problems, it is often a lack of RAM. Get as much RAM as possible within your budget and for your needs. You might only surf the net, write emails, organize your photos, and do very basic things, but all the software running on your (new) computer will be updated with more and more RAM demands. That's just how it goes. It doesn't matter if you don't do anything like gaming or designing rockets for Mars. I won't say, "Get a minimum of xGB or RAM." That's out of my realm. I do say that when making the final call between machines, that should probably be on a priority list.

I'm old school. I have a laptop and use it. I have a Kindle Fire and use it. I've worked on tablets. I still prefer the good ol' big box tower and individual gear.

Zeno Marx":s3pyr1j8 said:
one of the big hangups older computers have with new websites etc is not enough RAM.  These new websites, software updates, and apps eat up RAM.  I'm not an expert in any sense.  I'm running a 2008 tower and Windows 7.  When I ask better informed minds about why I'm having problems, it is often a lack of RAM.  Get as much RAM as possible within your budget and for your needs.  You might only surf the net, write emails, organize your photos, and do very basic things, but all the software running on your (new) computer will be updated with more and more RAM demands.  That's just how it goes.  It doesn't matter if you don't do anything like gaming or designing rockets for Mars.  I won't say, "Get a minimum of xGB or RAM."  That's out of my realm.  I do say that when making the final call between machines, that should probably be on a priority list.

I'm old school.  I have a laptop and use it.  I have a Kindle Fire and use it.  I've worked on tablets.  I still prefer the good ol' big box tower and individual gear.
Great intel Zeno. Gracias amigo!

Cheers,

RR

3 things:

I am a Costco member and would be happy to buy for you.

I have a bunch of extra memory ram chips and if it matches your motherboard, they're yours.

I would be happy to build a PC for you as I have an extra case and PSU I don't need.

P.S. I've been building PCs and servers for almost 20 years, happy to help in any way

If your current machine is a Core2Duo or newer.

If your current machine is maxed out on RAM.

If you have used Linux in the past and have some knowledge of the install.

Run Linux.

Easier said than done sometimes. I could install and run lighter distributions of Linux to do those things you want to do on older hardware. But that is a more involved installation. LinuxMint is the current favorite for the easy install. But when you start running Firefox and have a few open tabs, it may be that you will run out of RAM quick. Then you are back to upgrading the hardware again.

Windows is far more bloated than Linux. Nor do you have the control over your own operating system. It is not an insurmountable task to learn Linux. It is actually easier, but requires thinking a little differently than we have been taught. You can even create a CD/DVD or flash drive and run Linux from those as a test prior to installing.

For first time users, it is best to have a 2nd machine. Keep this in mind if you do purchase new hardware. Once you are sure you have everything of value copied off the old machine, you have a testbed to play with Linux that will not corrupt your current system.

What does Linux cost? What would you like to donate? So yeah. It could be free. Fully operational operating systems, with fully functional office suites, your choice of various web browsers and email applications. Linux is all about choices. Chances are, I have at least three ways of doing anything. Usually more. People are always writing new software, or forking old off into another direction.

Yeah, kind of writing this for anyone with an interest.

Currently, my 2008 computer is running latest Firefox (two tabs) and Thunderbird. Streaming high quality FLAC files to the tube DAC and the MAC1900 receiver using Videos. A system monitor is open. I am chewing up about 57% of my 3.9GiB of RAM.

Cleaning the inside carefully of older systems can make them last a long time. Dust bunnies plugging up fans and heatsinks are what kill most systems. So clean them and replace fans occasionally. Just blowing air into fans can destroy the bearings/bushings. You have to prevent the fans from spinning at high speeds compressed air can generate.

I have babbled too long. My sugar must be low. Any questions ask. I'll try to assist.

Some older systems can be upgraded as well. RAM is the easiest way to improve performance. That and run software called CCleaner. It's freeware for the home, you pay for the professional version. I've still got an original laptop with a Celeron processor. It came with Windows XP and half a Gig of RAM, 256 meg per socket. I was able to install 4 Gig of RAM, two 2 Gig chips for about $80.00 at the time. DDR 2 sockets I believe. It's still a great PC for browsing, and loads like it's better than new.

It's another option...

Ozark Wizard":syzsrx8f said:
Some older systems can be upgraded as well. RAM is the easiest way to improve performance. That and run software called CCleaner. It's freeware for the home, you pay for the professional version. I've still got an original laptop with a Celeron processor. It came with Windows XP and half a Gig of RAM, 256 meg per socket. I was able to install 4 Gig of RAM, two 2 Gig chips for about $80.00 at the time. DDR 2 sockets I believe. It's still a great PC for browsing, and loads like it's better than new.

It's another option...
Watch out for the CCleaner verion, current one is ok, but there was a version last year that was infected with malware, 5.33

I just buy lower-end Dells for a desktop whenever the screaming need arises. Costs about $400. Monthly payments are available, I think. Never had any problems with them, other than obsolescence. Sure do miss Windows XP though. :(