New(?) Flake smoking method

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wouldda been nice if he demonstrated it.
He took five and a half minutes to tell ya to refer to a post by LL on Smokers Forums.
Here is the post for the benefit of y'all who are banned. :lol!:

Posted by LL:
First off, I take no credit of any sort for what's to follow. I merely came by the information courtesy of Steve Stein, of the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club, and am passing it on. (He's a former president of that group, still active at several levels with them, and easily the most dedicated, helpful, and enthusiastic VA-fanatic I've ever met.)

How helpful? When he learned I was interested in becoming "VA literate," he not only answered any and all questions, he eagerly offered up all sorts of info. Then, for an entire evening literally filled my pipe, watched, and coached me as I smoked it. Sound like overkill? Not at all, as I discovered.

The setting was the GKCPC's hospitality room at this year's KC show. They'd gotten the largest suite in a new (2 weeks open!) hotel, and stocked it with fine cheeses, Mediterranian appetizers, good wines, and ultra-premium spirits. (Laphroaig for the grabbing? Bombay Sapphire? Wild Turkey Rare Breed? Yup. THANK YOU AGAIN, QUINTON WELLS!!! ) In the room were many pipeworld notables, including Lee Van Erck, Michael Lindner, Toni Nielsson (sp?), Ron Fairchild, and the like. Mike McNeill ("Mr. McClelland") was in and out, as were the Hermit people, and many shop owners and lesser-known carvers.

Back to VA prep and smoking. My lessons with Steve had started that evening on the show floor, when I'd asked him some questions. His answers led to more questions, and so on, until we were in deep conversation and found ourselves in the hospitality room. After we were "established"---comfy in a chair and scotch at hand---Steve asked me to quit the pipe I was working on (filled w/a Balkan), and fetch a fresh pipe from my room. I did, and upon returning with it, he filled it from his own pouch. The hands-on lesson(s) had begun. "Watch," he said, and did a simple scoop-and-tap-to-settle motion. Then he handed me the pipe back. "It's now filled," he said. "Never more than that. Do NOT press it down."

"You're kidding, right?" I asked, incredulous.

"Nope. That's it. Just don't tip the bowl until it's lit... once it is, the tobacco will swell enough to stay put."

I drew on the pipe, and it whistled. No resistance at all.

"I repeat... this is a joke right? The VA-noob being hazed...?" I said.

Steve just laughed and smiled. "Really. That's how you do it. Just light it, and you'll see."

I did. Got it going. Surprisingly, it stayed lit well, just smoldering. The draw was effortless, the smoke cool and flavorful. Tiny sips were all it took to keep it going, and the flavor grew huge. I looked at Steve and nodded, and he just smiled. When it finally did go out, I pulled out a tamper and got it halfway to the bowl. "No!" he said, "Don't tamp yet! Just relight. NEVER tamp until it won't stay lit anymore WITHOUT tamping. Then when you do, just with the weight of the tamper itself. Only flatten the ash."

I did as instructed. A couple of times in the next half hour's group conversation I re-lit, and noticed Steve was watching me like a hawk. When at last I convinced him that it was "out out," and the ash needed a bit of flattening, he laughed and said, "OK, then. But remember, no pressure!"

(Sounds crazy that he was so motherly, but he knew exactly what he was doing. My urge to do the wrong things from 30 years of habit was almost overwhelming at times. Wanting to tamp the draw so it was tighter was like a horrible itch.)

The smoke by this time was the best I'd ever had, however---bone dry, enormously flavorful, and extremely cool---so I was starting to "get it," and surrendered myself to following instructions to the letter.

In another half hour, my pipe finally went out and wouldn't relight. Flattening the ash resulted in the tamper simply hitting bottom. I turned the bowl into an ashtray, and nothing but fine ash came out. I moved to a bright light and looked into the bottom with the digger-end of my pipe nail at the ready, but there was nothing there. I looked up at Steve, and he was simply nodding and smiling like a Budda. Then he held out his hand for the pipe. "Watch this," he said. And he ran a cleaner into it, and pulled it back out. Only the last quarter-inch was discolored, and it was only a faint grayish amber. No black, no gook, no wetness, no nothing.

If I hadn't just smoked the pipe myself, I never would have believed such a thing was possible.

The entire experience was immediately repeated with a second fresh pipe and a different VA (and slightly less oversight, LOL!); then again with still a third pipe and different VA. Quinton, Steve, Mike Lindner, and I were the last ones standing at about 2:30am, when we finally succumbed to the show's 8:00am Saturday opening.

In the weeks since I have had 80% success using Steve's method on my own. I've experimented a lot to try to determine how important the leaf used is to the technique. The answer is some, but not as much as you'd think. The keys are these:

-- Cut the flake into BB-sized triangles/cubes
-- Let it dry until it no longer feels cool to the touch (but definintely not crispy). How long that takes depends on the humidity and temp where you live, as well as the tobacco's wetness to start with, so no elapsed time can be given.
-- Put the BBs in a pouch or bag and simply scoop like grain, tapping the side of the bowl to settle it
-- Do NOT press it down, just light and start smoking
-- Yes, it WILL whistle and feel WAY too loose when you light. Resist the urge to pack! That's how it should feel!
-- When it goes out, do nothing but light again, repeating until it won't stay lit anymore
-- Then, only tamp the ash, not the tobacco
-- Continue until the bowl is consumed

Oh yeah, besides the unequalled flavor and ease-of-smoking, I notice a LARGE decrease in mouth irritation/bite. I can easily smoke three bowls in succession this way, while two "conventionally packed" bowls leaves me burnt.

There. The longest post the history of Knox, finished at last!

Enjoy!

Pj,

Thanks for the video, I've been smoking some fine Uhle's burley that comes cut or cubed that way and it smokes amazingly cool and long. I'll try using that method on the next Virginia flake I fire up......

Yep. Gravity filling cube cut burley works for me too. I guess chopping a flake into cube-like pieces would aprroximate the same effect. I'll give it a try.

The video was :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: and 33 seconds.

Lol yeah, but fair play to the guy for posting it, he seemed very enthusiastic at least! You're very welcome, am looking forward to trying this out myself, and also some Burley flakes, from what I've read on here, they're a taste sensation lol

I suggested this method here (at least the cutting) a while back, and now it's how I smoke most flakes. Cutting them perpendicular to the flake "grain" creates the equivalent of little burly cubes. If you work at it, you can get one or two to burn at a time, then pass the flame on to the surrounding ones as they die. It really can stretch out a bowl.

Natch

This has been working so well for me that it will be a rare occasion where I deviate and go back to my old fold and stuff.

One thing that it has really improved is my enjoyment of ropes.

So far some Marlin Flake, Gawith Navy Flake, Brown Bogie - all flawless smokes with this method

Can't wait to try it with my Grousemoor Plug later today...

Ah damn it! Am so looking forward to trying this method now! All the flake I have though is bound up and aging, apart for some Erinmore Flake, but I didn't get along too well with that, though I do remember a post on here that stated it tasted pretty good at five years lol hell I can wait that long

Just tried this with some 1792 Flake and it burned perfectly. Still really new to the art, but my finest bowl to date!

Having some Grousemoor Plug - piled high in a 2 inch deep volcano - wonderful smoke.

For a deep bowl it seems quite important to dry the tobacco until no longer cool to the touch when squeezed - as the bottom can gather enough moisture to cause trouble - drying like this seems to work well no matter what the bowl size

Tapping to settle can take a bit of effort in a deep bowl unless done as you fill

Smaller bowl sizes do not seem to work as well, although I am thinking that cutting the tobacco into finer pieces may do the trick

Method seems to work better the denser the tobacco gets - little chocolate like cubes of plug burn like charcoal briquettes...

gandalfpc,

Is the Grousemoor Plug as heavy in scent at regular Grousemoor is? I've had a love/hate relationship with regular Grousemoor and often find it overpoweringly soapy in taste. It would be nice of the plug was more subtle.

Natch

Most people seem to agree that the plug is stronger in scent - I would have to try the two close together to compare for sure, but seems right to me.