New from Indiana...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModemMisuser

Reaction score
Greetings.

I just entered the world of pipe-smoking last weekend when I purchased my first pipe from Hardwicke's in Broad Ripple (Indianapolis). I went a little higher end than most recommend doing - but I was relatively certain I'd enjoy it, so didn't feel odd doing so. I don't regret it! I purchased a (IMO) very nice Bjarne, and it does provide a very enjoyable smoke.

I'm also lucky enough that my wife also took an interest in the pipe, and she also just the other day purchased her first! :) Relaxation together is wonderful.

congrats and welcome! i'm new here and a consistent pipe smoker for 8 months now. please come back often. lots to learn from more experienced folks out there. cheers, mau

Welcome aboard to another Hoosier...or should I say Boilermaker?

Pull up a stump and sit a spell :lol!:

There is a well known shop in Ft.Wayne, but I don't recall the name and accross the street from Greenwood Mall on County line Rd. is Pipe Puffers.

The shop in Broad Ripple is a nice shop with a good selection of tobacco and a whole wall full of good "basket" grade pipes, in addition to what is in the cases.

Pipe puffers has a good selection of tobaccos, tins and bulk, and a fair selection of pipes.

Both of the Indy area shops are in my opinion very good resources for pipe smoking. The folks that work there are very accomodating and fairly knowledgeable and just nice folks.

There is another Hardwicke's downtown, just off of the circle, but I have never been there.

At one time I attended an informal get together up in Lafayette, and was led to believe that there is a local shop, but I don't have any more info on it.

I seem, also, to remember hearing about a pipe smokers club at Purdue, I assume it would bemade up mostly of students and faculty, but can't imagine a smokers group turning anyone away that expressed a real interest in the sport.

Hope this helps a bit.

Welcome, sounds like you chose a fine pipe. You might buy a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentlemen (best cobs in my opinion) to try different blends.

Natch

Pipe maker John Crosby lives in Lafayette. We did get together with a few others pipers for a few meetings a year or so ago. Should do it again. I live just south of Lafalot. There are a couple fellas over at Frankfort that use to post on some of the forums. So, you're not alone.
Best pipe shop in Indiana is in Bloomington. It's on the square, called the Briar and Burley. Only pipe shop around, that I know of, with a Ferrari parked in it. Nice smoking lounge, too.

thedeep":wl1ioyqn said:
Pipe maker John Crosby lives in Lafayette. We did get together with a few others pipers for a few meetings a year or so ago. Should do it again. I live just south of Lafalot. There are a couple fellas over at Frankfort that use to post on some of the forums. So, you're not alone.
Best pipe shop in Indiana is in Bloomington. It's on the square, called the Briar and Burley. Only pipe shop around, that I know of, with a Ferrari parked in it. Nice smoking lounge, too.
Can you smoke in the Ferrari? Cause you can't anywhere else in Bloomington...including your own vehicle, if there's a kid on board.

You can't even smoke in the pipe shop if you are outside of the smoking room. So, nope, can't smoke in Mike's Ferrari. Bloomington is pretty much anti-everything. I'm actually O.K. with not being able to smoke in a car with a kid in it---I don't like kids, so there are NEVER kids in my vehicle. I think they should ban people from carrying the little bastids around in the car--make them walk, it's good for 'em.

Got down to Pipe Puffer on Sat - very, very cool shop. Will definitely be back again and again.

And a pipe maker here in Laf? Very cool. Might have to see if he'd do a custom pipe... o_O