New guy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pasq0321

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to the hobby, so new I haven't tried it yet. I have been researching it, but haven't taken the plunge as of now. I had to join though, how could I pass up a group like Brothers of Briar? What a fantastic name!

Any words of wisdom from those who remember what it was like to pick up a pipe for the first time?

-Shane

Welcome to the BoB.. sure you will receive lots of interesting "first time stories", especially from OuBaas and BlueBird .. uhhm if they can remember that far back :lol!:

bluedigital":08w607bg said:
Welcome to the BoB.. sure you will receive lots of interesting "first time stories", especially from OuBaas and BlueBird .. uhhm if they can remember that far back :lol!:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Hey man, welcome to BOB!
:cheers: :cheers:

pasq0321":3n9tf0e1 said:
Hey everyone,

Any words of wisdom from those who remember what it was like to pick up a pipe for the first time?

-Shane
welcome to the BoB shane. yeah, i'm pretty new to the sport myself (a year and a half) and things look much different now than they did when i started. if you've got $70 to spend, you can get a really decent new pipe to start with. if you got less than that, watch ebay. it takes a while to get to know what you like and what you don't out of tobaccos. also, your tastes will change as your palatte becomes more sophisticated. if i could start over, i wouldn't have wasted so much time on aromatics. also, i wouldn't have packed so tightly to begin with. i'm scientific by nature, and wanted to get to know the major categories of tobacco and then narrow them down to specific blenders from there, but that's just me. there's lots of threads already on the BoB that answer these types of questions (what tobacco to buy) or you can start a new thread, no harm in that! keep us posted with your progress!!! :D

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a local Pipe Shop that you can go to and talk to someone? That really helps to get started that way.

Welcome to BoB! Lots of good info and great bunch of guys here.

A big Tennessee welcome to the brotherhood, Shane!! Brothers of Briar is without a doubt the best bunch of folks on the internet... bar none!!!!!!! Read lots... and, post often, my new brother!!!!

bluedigital":d0d8vnoh said:
Just what the Hell are you trying to say, Blood BD???? (BTW Shane, bluedigital and Piet Binsbergen call me OuBaas... It's a South African thing! And, BlueBird is Falconer, aka Birdbrain!) I know Birdbrain is... but, I'm not that old!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shane, I remember quite well the first time I tried a pipe. It was back around 1988 or 1989. I bought a $40 pipe from a tobacconist at the Mall of Memphis (or, was it the other mall?? I don't remember for sure... guess it has been that long! :shock: ) in Memphis, TN. And, I bought a couple of aromatics that they recommended for a first time pipe smoker. Fortunately for me, the guy did a fair job of teaching me to pack my new pipe. But, he told me little about breaking it in or smoking it. And, he told me nothing about drying the tobacco out a bit or how to properly lite it!!

As I said, I bought aromatics. And, they were so damp from added flavorings that I began to think the tobacco would never lite!! But, I finally got it lit. Then, I used the tamper... like I was shown... but, with too heavy a hand... and, got the tobacco packed too tight. Then, being a cigarette smoker, I tried to smoke the pipe like I would a cigarette. And, that is just wrong!!! It's about the same as trying to use a Rolls Royce to plow a field... that dog won't hunt!!!

After about 4 days of smoking my pipe, my tongue felt as though it were 10 times its normal size... burned like I had stuck it in a vat of boiling grease... and, I couldn't taste anything!! And, I actually had some small blisters on my lips!!! All mainly because I had no one to show me the way!! Because of my inexperience and lack of a mentor to take me by the hand and lead me down the beautiful path of pipe smoking, about 2 or 3 weeks after I picked it up, my pipe went in the trash!!

But, thanks to the wealth of information provided by the brothers here, this time a good pipe and pipe tobacco has been the closest thing to a Panacea I have found in my 50 years on this earth!!! I still smoke cigarettes to feed my nicotine monster. But, they taste nasty to me now... like I've licked the bottom of a used ashtray! And, I LOVE my pipes and the taste of pipe tobaccos!!

Here's a few things that I've learned:
  • 1) You can spend what you want to on a pipe. But, regardless what some may say, you really don't have to break the bank or mortgage your house to get a good smoking pipe! As Bruins said, check out Ebay. And, when you get to the "Pipes" section, check out the "Estate" pipes. "Estate" simply means used... previously smoked. Watch for names like Stanwell, Peterson, Bjarne, Nording and others. Buying an estate pipe is kind of like buying a used car. Because it is "used" you can usually get a lot more bang for your buck!!

While you are looking also, consider Wally Frank. In their hay day, they were considered by many to be a Cadillac pipe!! Dr. Grabow is another pipe that some of the brothers here enjoy smoking.

Just remember that the name on the pipe doesn't matter near as much as how it smokes!!! And, if you find one that you know nothing about, ask about it here on BoB!!

2) Though some do it... and, yes I am one that occasionally does... DON'T inhale pipe smoke!!! That's what cigarette smoke is for!! Pipe tobacco smoke was created to slowly invite into your mouth... mingle with and make love to your taste buds... then be gently... almost reluctantly... asked to to exit!! With the right tobacco, it truly can be an almost euphoric experience!! And, if the smoke also smells good to you... EUPHORIA!!!

3) When buying a tobacco, your nose is not always the best indicator of how it will smoke!!! For me, most tobaccos that smell as if they belong on a desert plate.. probably do!! And, they will probably be a bit frustrating to smoke... and, may bite like a rabid dog!!

4) Don't give up on a tobacco after only a few puffs... or, even one or two bowls! Many tobaccos smoke different in different pipes. And, the difference can be quite profound!! For example... the first time I tried Frog Morton, I hated it!! And, my wife hated the smell of it! But, I gave it another chance in my old Wally Frank Bulldog... and, it is now my favorite tobacco!!! And, get this... my wife says it's the best smelling air freshener she's ever smelled... and, loves it when I smoke it!!!!!

5) We cigarette smokers take long draws off our cigarette; then inhale the smoke deep into our lungs. DON'T do that with a pipe!!! It is one of the quickest ways to learn to loathe a pipe!! It will burn the crap out of your mouth... it will cause lots of condensation inside your pipe... it will make your pipe taste like Kak... as the tobacco burns on down, it will choke the crap out of you... and, it will cause all kinds of problems... up to and including possibly damaging your pipe!!!

Like Jack Daniels whiskey, smoke from pipe tobacco was not meant to be guzzled... it is meant to be sipped.. just a little at a time! If you prefer, you can take long draws off a pipe. But, those long draws need to be taken very slowly!! Otherwise, you run the risk of causing the problems I mentioned above!!!!

Alright, that's enough to get you started on the beautiful journey down the path of pipe smoking! And, a beautiful journey it is!!!! Savor it... and, enjoy it!!!

Again, welcome to the brotherhood!!!

Robert

You guys are great! I love it here already. I am anxious to start, there is a good tobacco shop a little ways from me in a town called Chagrin Falls, I think I will head over there this coming weekend.

OuBass- Thanks for the extremely detailed post. It was an excellent read and a great primer for a newbie like myself.

pasq0321":x1p9rtxp said:
You guys are great! I love it here already. I am anxious to start, there is a good tobacco shop a little ways from me in a town called Chagrin Falls, I think I will head over there this coming weekend.

OuBass- Thanks for the extremely detailed post. It was an excellent read and a great primer for a newbie like myself.
You are quite welcome, my new brother!! I wish you the very best on your journey into the mystical, magical journey as you learn this ballroom waltz like dance between the pipe, the tobacco, the match, and you!!!!!

One last thing... if you have any questions... regardless how trivial you may think they are... never hesitate to ask!! This bunch is always eager to help out!!!!!

Robert

Dang Oubaas you have just started an into to a Doctorate here, needing to explain terminology about us in your introductory paragraph!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Hey, welcome. What I remember most about picking up the pipe was discouragement--from everywhere. I bought my first pipe from a drugstore in 2001, as a cigarette smoker. The clerk, a man in his sixties, said that he smoked a pipe when he was my age. He continued to say "I couldn't keep spit from going into it and I couldn't keep the durn thing lit." Yeah, he was doin' it wrong. From there on for a good while, it was problems and idiotic remarks, all made worse by not having anyone to teach me. But, I knew I was into something good, that pipes were a great smoke and worth it. The effort has really paid off, and it would have been much easier to do with more help from online resources like this. So keep posting and keep it burnin'.

Hey, the Surgeon General has reported that moderate pipe smoking is good for you, in case you didn't know. But, screw that, I smoke the hell out of 'em.

Welcome!
My first experience smoking a pipe was terrible, but there is just something about smoking tobacco in a pipe that was so alluring that I kept coming back for more, despite the rough start. Try to avoid the aromatic pitfall...

Greenleaf":3um3v827 said:
Hey, welcome. What I remember most about picking up the pipe was discouragement--from everywhere. I bought my first pipe from a drugstore in 2001, as a cigarette smoker. The clerk, a man in his sixties, said that he smoked a pipe when he was my age. He continued to say "I couldn't keep spit from going into it and I couldn't keep the durn thing lit." Yeah, he was doin' it wrong. From there on for a good while, it was problems and idiotic remarks, all made worse by not having anyone to teach me. But, I knew I was into something good, that pipes were a great smoke and worth it. The effort has really paid off, and it would have been much easier to do with more help from online resources like this. So keep posting and keep it burnin'.

Hey, the Surgeon General has reported that moderate pipe smoking is good for you, in case you didn't know. But, screw that, I smoke the hell out of 'em.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome to BOB.. You are on the right foot by being here.. Read many things and go slow.. Beebiz did you service as he is a good fellow.. Don't forget you can also buy a good Corn Cob by checking around here for info.. They are a wonderful investment and can get you trained while you study and enjoy the journey... :cheers:
Chuck..

velveteagle":zp7l4k1v said:
Welcome to BOB.. You are on the right foot by being here.. Read many things and go slow.. Beebiz did you service as he is a good fellow.. Don't forget you can also buy a good Corn Cob by checking around here for info.. They are a wonderful investment and can get you trained while you study and enjoy the journey... :cheers:
Chuck..
I picked up a MM cob pipe today. I may give it a spin later and see what happens.

pasq0321":flcd7532 said:
velveteagle":flcd7532 said:
Chuck..
I picked up a MM cob pipe today. I may give it a spin later and see what happens.
Well good on you Brother... I just got back from a wine fellowship with an older friend.. We both smoked cobs tonight.. I gifted him a General MacArthur pipe I was lucky to get on an estate sale. I smoked out of an MM Great Dane Cob.. We filled it with SG FVF.. it was a long drawn affair with lots of talk.. Give it time to break in and don't use a filter.. If you get a bit of char in your mouth its good for the soul.. :cheers:
Chuck..