New guy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck, thank you for the kind words. And, thank you for pointing out the fact that I had failed to mention cobs!!

Shane, I'm glad to hear that you scored a MM Cob! Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipes are the Cadillacs of the the cobs!!! I stand firm with Chuck's advise to smoke it without a filter. For me, smoking a pipe with a filter is about like riding a bike with training wheels. Sure, it will help some when you make the mistake of drawing too hard or too often and it will absorb the resulting moisture build up. But, if you want to learn to smoke a pipe, an unfiltered one will inform you of your mistakes quicker than a filtered one will!!

Also... I know they say that cobs don't need a breaking in period like a briar does. But, I respectfully disagree just a little bit. When I first got my first MM cob, I tried smoking it with some Prince Albert. It was pretty good. But, it seemed to have this odd taste to it. The next bowl I smoked, I paid very, very close attention to flavor. I tried to analyze it to death! Finally, I figured out what the "odd flavor" was. I was tasting corn!!! Actually, it wasn't corn. It was corn cob! And, until I got a few bowls smoked in it and got some build up in the pipe, I was able to taste the cob. So, that's something else you might be aware of as you are smoking yours.

As Chuck said, take it slow... do lots of reading here... ask any questions that you may have... and, you'll do great!! You've got no other choice... we're all pulling for you!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Robert

Well, had my first smoke this morning. I didn't do too bad, had some trouble keeping it lit, but as I understand it, that is the way of things for the new pipe smoker. All in all a nice morning. I let the dogs out and went out on the porch with a hot cup of coffee and my pipe. Fired it up (a few times, lol) and enjoyed the cool morning air in Bedford, Ohio. I certainly see the attraction to the pipe now. It was so relaxing.

Good to hear it went well.. Relaxing is one great parts of pipe smoking.. Trains the brain to purge all the collected garbage of the day.. I made a pipe tamper out of a 50 cal. Stainless shell casing with a deer antler point carved to fit in the open end.. Then rubbed some walnut stain from a fallen walnut on it and rubbed it in.. When I light my pipe I puff it till its going pretty good on top then I pull out the tamper and tamp the burning baccy down as I am drawing air through the pipe.. It sets the burn even and solid.. Then I sip long draws of smoke and it does not go out.. I am a new guy here but it works for me.. Like you said its going to be a learning curve what works best for you.. Have a great day.. We have some great weather up here for a couple more days.. :cheers:
Chuck..

velveteagle":irvzzzdo said:
I made a pipe tamper out of a 50 cal. Stainless shell casing with a deer antler point carved to fit in the open end....
would like to see a pic of that tamper, VE!

bruins":vfwigz6y said:
velveteagle":vfwigz6y said:
I made a pipe tamper out of a 50 cal. Stainless shell casing with a deer antler point carved to fit in the open end....
Ask and ye shall receive bruins.. Just popped outside to take a snap of this.. They fit in the pocket or catch pot in a car.. Work good for tamping and digging out and not that hard to make my friend.. Easy is what I am about.. :lol!:
Chuck..

i've seen some cool tampers, but those be the bomb, VE! very cool! thanks for posting.

I do love those tampers, brother Chuck!!!! You did a great job on them!

I also love the Old Timer pocket Knife. Until I lost it in our 2003 house fire, I had one just like it. I loved it about as well as any Case I ever owned!!

Robert

Howdy and welcome to BoB! DON'T do what I did when first picking up a pipe. I was about 7 or 8 when I used one of my dad's pipes to smoke some tobacco removed from some of my mother's Herbert Tareton cigarette butts. Shortly after lighting up, I got extremely dizzy and then promptly threw up every thing in my stomach and then some. :pale:

Jim

I remember my first encounter with a pipe. I was probably 10 or 12 years old and our class had taken a field trip to a historic reenactment park, where they live like it's still the 1800s. Back then they still sold clay pipes to little kids. My neighbor Jimmy bought one and a few nights later we were back in the woods with the pipe, some matches, and the closest thing to tobacco we thought we had... Japanese teas. We must of been coughing quite a bit, because a few minutes later Jimmy's dad appeared out of nowhere with a flying bucket of water and our pipe smoking came to an abrupt end for the evening.

bruins":60zvuznp said:
velveteagle":60zvuznp said:
VE, Nice! You did remove the primers! Right??? :affraid:

Falconer":amr5min0 said:
bruins":amr5min0 said:
velveteagle":amr5min0 said:
VE, Nice! You did remove the primers! Right??? :affraid:
Ahhh come on now Falconer.. He has bullets in his nose.. :lol!: tap tap tap..
I have a warning label that goes with them.. Wear your depends when smoking with this tamper..
We have to keep this New Guy clued in to the safe rules for smoking pipes.. :affraid:

pasq0321 said:
velveteagle said:
Falconer said:
bruins":1yfzqy6t said:
velveteagle":1yfzqy6t said:
We have to keep this New Guy clued in to the safe rules for smoking pipes.. :affraid:
So I shouldn't use the 4-10 shells in my gun cabinet as ready made brightly colored pipe tampers?
Well now you could use them but you would have to borrow a pipe from Beebiz with the 6 foot stem. Then have Falconer touch it off with one of his revolvers. Use a fast burning tobacco cause you have to puff fast.. Oh did I mention you have to drink a big bottle of Jim too.. Then run 10 miles with fiberglass in your shorts.

Otherwise I would forget the 4-10 stuff.. One end could cause you problems.. Soon as I get some more antler tips in and some spent shells from my friend I will attempt to make some up for those Brothers who can wait.. :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Chuck..