New member from Alberta, Canada

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgireland

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Yesterday I joined the brotherhood of pipe smokers after a follow-up trip to a great B&M store in Edmonton which I had originally gone in to to buy cigars.

I am a recovering cigarette smoker who moved on to cigars as I much prefer the ritual to the nicotine. A fellow at the local tobacconist was offering cigar suggestions and directed me to a Rocky Patel Nording. Researching the cigar at home I discovered that Nording is a renowned pipe maker and reading his story and viewing the pictures of his pipes made me forget the cigar entirely. I haven't smoked it yet. I had to have a pipe. I was up for hours reading about the shapes and styles, how to pack, light and smoke it, the varieties of tobacco.... I was obsessed.

I went back the the shop the following afternoon and selected a Lorenzetti pipe as my first. A bent Rhodesian shape as far as I can tell. I selected a small amount of tobacco, picked up a tool, cleaners and matches and hurried home.

My first smoke was a little less than satisfying. I packed too little tobacco and too loose I think. I couldn't keep the pipe going and didn't get much smoke. I had time for only one bowl last night and am anxiously awaiting the next time I can try it again!

Thanks for reading my story. I'm looking forward to participating in the forums here and I have lots of questions!

Happy Smoking!

Steve

Welcome Steve! I hope you enjoy yourself as you enter this past time/life style!

"T"

Welcome to the brotherhood Steve! Be patient, both cigars and pipes are a learning experience, and there can be lot's of variables involved. :D

Hi and welcome to BOB

I am From just south of Edmonton, Calmar. I also started with a lorenzeti Nero. It was last year on Father's day after 53 years of no smoking.
I went to Burlington on Whyte, they are very good. Hope you have fun here.

Welcome. It takes time and practice to get that "perfect" bowl, but when you hit one, you'll know and all will be good in the universe. :lol: Enjoy the trip.

Natch

Welcome Steve,

The BoB is IMHO the finest forum you'll ever come across. Best group of people that are willing to share their knowledge and experience I've ever had the pleasure to be acquainted with. It can be said that pipe smoking is like seducing a beautiful woman. It takes time, finesse, and a little luck but the final reward is beyond description.

Welcome! You'll find out that pipe smoking is a journey more than a destination, and there's always more to learn. Lot of help here, it's a great pastime.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Things went much better this evening after a quick lesson from the guys at the local B&M, Burlington on Whyte.

My biggest challenge I think is making sure I am not inhaling, being used to cigarettes. If anyone reading this has made the transition I'd like to hear your experience.

Welcome Sgireland. I am a former cigarette smoker and I do inhale while smoking a pipe once in a while,especially when first lighting a bowl. Actually quite a large number of pipe smokers inhale to a certain extent,although there are some who seem to think you will keel over dead if you inhale from a pipe!

Welcome aboard sg,

My first "decent" pipe from burlington's was a just a 1/4 bent billiard lorenzetti nero. Seems a few of us have been led in the right direction from those guys. Perhaps i'll see you at the B&M one day!

Welcome to the hobby, you are in for the time of your life...lots to learn and many great people to meet.

SmokeyTweed":gb1itafi said:
Welcome aboard sg,

My first "decent" pipe from burlington's was a just a 1/4 bent billiard lorenzetti nero. Seems a few of us have been led in the right direction from those guys. Perhaps i'll see you at the B&M one day!
Good guys there for sure, I've been back twice already. Had to get another pipe so I could smoke more than once a day!