New Pease Flavor

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puff Daddy":prnp38m7 said:
Yeah, but his stuff actually tastes really good :D 
Aint that the truth. :sunny: 

I spy yet another Latakia blend on the horizon, oh poo, not that it matters as they are priced outside of most UK pipe smokers pockets here, horrid shame though as some of Greg's blends are the best smokes I have ever had but at $30 for 2oz they'll have to remain fond memories. :cry: 

@ BriarSpirit,
Are US manufactured tins more expensive than UK manufactured tins? By how much about?

Northern Neil":pjke8qoc said:
@ BriarSpirit,
Are US manufactured tins more expensive than UK manufactured tins? By how much about?
Gosh, you chaps in Canada have it pretty much as dire as we do in the UK, I can answer best for the US/UK price difference by linking you to 2 sites selling the same item:

The only place in the UK selling any of Greg's blends
http://cigars.gauntleys.com/product5529-gl-pease-fillmore-567g-2oz-drum

Rich's site in the US (he's a damn fine gentleman too I might add)
http://www.4noggins.com/g-l-pease-fillmore-2-oz.aspx

i rushed into GLP's last few and got whacked in the face by vitamin N. i'll wait to hear back from y'all about how this new one does in that department before i shell out!

doody

"the exotic fragrance hauntingly familiar, compelling, irresistible..." Money? :twisted: Kidding, I like his blends, and I can't fault a guy for marketing his own goods. But that's some purple copy.

OOOOOO " ...On a misty, moonless night, along twisted cobblestone lanes illuminated only by the glow of ancient iron lanterns, you follow a scent as dark as the night itself, the exotic fragrance hauntingly familiar, compelling, irresistible... " tells me EXACTLY what I'll be smoking for sure !! If it does not have his requisite high dose of Perique it might be worth a try :twisted: 

monbla256":9ie6frum said:
If it does not have his requisite high dose of Perique it might be worth a try :twisted: 
Is that what it is? I got a tin of Quiet Nights 18 months ago and man it did just not jibe with me. I jarred it and stuck it in the back of the cellar. Maybe in a few years it will get someplace special. Only Pease blends (apart from that one) I've tried are Abingdon, Odyssey, and Jackknife Plug, which IIRC are all Perique free.

Briar Spirit":149ddq1e said:
some of Greg's blends are the best smokes I have ever had but at $30 for 2oz they'll have to remain fond memories. :cry: 
WOW!  I feel very blessed indeed.  Had no idea GLP was that expensive in the UK.  I really like so many of Greg's blends - I'll esteem them (and their affordability in my corner of the World) much higher from now on.

When Greg put the tin description on Facebook, all I got was images of waffles at midnight. I told him this. We had a good laugh. :)

When the red carpet rolls up, the lights dim, and the fanfare dies off, I'll get a tin.

Maybe that's another good name/concept idea. "Aftershow." Just a simple VA, mellow and subtle, relaxed with a little nip of something to capture the attention of the clean up crew. Then again, there's already Union Square. :lol:

Kirk, you have had a go at Navigator, haven't ya? No Latakia in that one, Brother, and it's rich and deep.

8)

Kyle Weiss":l3srut7w said:
Kirk, you have had a go at Navigator, haven't ya?   No Latakia in that one, Brother, and it's rich and deep.
I haven't Kyle, we don't get it here but you know what, I had the dosh a good while back and was able to treat myself to a 2oz tin of Haddos Delight from Gauntleys, I had a small sample gifted to me a long while back and it was magnificent, the tin I got from Gauntleys was 'GHASTLY', it stank to high heaven when I opened the tin and the tobacco had the most foul flavour, it didn't even look like the sample I had a while before. The Mrs said it smelt rather like gone bad rum, I've said to a few chaps since that I hated HD because of the rum topping and was really surprised to to be told they hadn't noticed any rum topping in it. I tell ya mate, the price I paid for that tin and it having the contents it had I was pretty pissed at Greg and Gauntley's for a good long while, I gave George the rest of it to see what he thought, he's been a pipe smoker for nigh on 80 years now, he knows a thing or three, the Mrs said he crunched up his face just from the aroma from the tin and said "that baccer's gone bad my girl, can smell the rot right there wouldn't smoke any of that if I was your young man". Whether the tobacco was indeed rotten or whether the tin had another blend in it I don't know but now when I even see a mention of rum in a blend my stomach turns, I'll give it a miss my friend. To be quite frank Kyle, with the price of his blends here in the UK I am never likely to try any more, every once in a while I might treat myself to a tin of JKP or Fillmore but I'm nervous as hell of potentially wasting such a large amount of money on tobacco that might have gone south, I do love Greg's blends that I have tried, except for that tin of HD but I have lost trust in them, I know it doesn't matter to some folk but best part of £19 down the drain was pretty disturbing to me, went without a smoke for 2 weeks because of that fiasco, not keen to risk it again.

Kirk, the Haddo's I smoke has to be fairly well aged for me to enjoy it. Otherwise I have somewhat of the same reaction to it.

Someone here mentioned that it reminds them of over ripe bananas. I don't think that's too far from the mark.

I tried to smoke a tin with 3 months on it, and it was reminiscent of having a drunkard with a belly-full of brandy and beer belch in your face.

And yes, fresh Haddo's and aged Haddo's look nothing alike, as the mixture darkens tremendously over time. It also mellows out ten-fold. To my taste, aged HD is amazing. Fresh not so much.

They're coming out so fast I'm already about 3 new blends behind....:fpalm: 

I want to try Navigator and re-up my supply of Sextant.

DrumsAndBeer":36167zjc said:
Kirk, the Haddo's I smoke has to be fairly well aged for me to enjoy it. Otherwise I have somewhat of the same reaction to it.

Someone here mentioned that it reminds them of over ripe bananas. I don't think that's too far from the mark.

I tried to smoke a tin with 3 months on it, and it was reminiscent of having a drunkard with a belly-full of brandy and beer belch in your face.

And yes, fresh Haddo's and aged Haddo's look nothing alike, as the mixture darkens tremendously over time. It also mellows out ten-fold. To my taste, aged HD is amazing. Fresh not so much.
This.

Fresh Haddo's is completely OTT.

It needs a few years to come into it's prime. 3-5 yrs minimum. 10 yrs is magic!

:tongue: 

Cheers,

RR