New Peterson

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CipsterX

Reaction score
So I just ordered a new Peterson #306 from Smoking Pipes and this is my first Peterson System Pipe. I own two other Peterson that are not Systems and am just wondering if I am going to like it. The pipe is beautiful and am looking forward to smoking it but hear a lot of mixed reviews on the System Pipes.

"Mixed reviews . . ." Yah, but reviews are just someone else's expression of like / dislike, propped up with some measure of selected facts. If there's a history of agreement between you and the reviewer, the review might be very helpful. But even so, you're just going to have to light 'er up and see how it goes. Think of the aphorism from Performance Driving School -- Don't let the other guy drive your car. Or decide for you how you like your new pipe, in this case:)

Petersons are good pipes. Only snag is the dye inside the bowl. I sincerely hope yours come without the dye! If the one you receive has got dye inside the bowl, do your utmost to remove it before you light the pipe.  I use sanding paper and then clean it out with surgical spirits and kitchen paper towl.  Try and get down to the neat briar.  

I find Petersons a bit hard to break in but once that's done, you will have a decent pipe.  As for the system, just remember to clean out the "sump" regularly. And that's it.

CipsterX":5c4xitpm said:
So I just ordered a new Peterson #306 from Smoking Pipes and this is my first Peterson System Pipe. I own two other Peterson that are not Systems and am just wondering if I am going to like it. The pipe is beautiful and am looking forward to smoking it but hear a lot of mixed reviews on the System Pipes.
There is only one way to find out.

I have a System 302 that smokes OGS so well that it startles me sometimes. I like OGS and all, but this combo is just really good. People can talk smack about system pipes or have some theory about p-lips/whatever. All I know is this one works for me.

I like Pete's. Have straights and bents, including systems. My Mark Twain is a true keeper!!! But I do not care for their quality control nor their penchant for having/hiding fills in fairly high-dollar pipes!!! I do like'em, have several, will never buy another!!!!!! :evil: FTRPLT

ftrplt":6gpc86hq said:
........ I do like'em, have several, will never buy another!!!!!! :evil: FTRPLT
Agree

I have two, 80s and 150, and that is the total amount of Pete's for me. Nice pipes  :)  Not worth their money as far as I'm concerned. The older ones, YES !! The new stuff, never again.

George Kaplan":7vc6zl6a said:
Here's an older thread that makes for some entertaining reading on the merits (and existence) of the System and Petes in general.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17097-guess-who-s-the-newest-peterson-initiate

In the spirit of BoB at the time, it amounts to a 10-page circus that solves little, but was a lot of fun.  :p 
I remember that thread ! Kyle got all pissed off that he did not have a "System" pipe with his 80s  :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":jy06y8fh said:
I remember that thread ! Kyle got all pissed off that he did not have a "System" pipe with his 80s  :twisted: :twisted: 
 :lol!:  Yeah. Remember how insistent he was, taking precise measurements to "prove" it was a System? Round and round it went...

img_2012.jpg
Got it today and am breaking it in with some Best Brown so far so good sits great and looks great!

Right now I have 7 Pete's and 5 being system's. Personally I don't like system's because I'm lazy. They won't pass a pipe cleaner and I don't want to wait till they cool to take them apart for cleaning besides not wanting to have to take them apart to clean. And Monbla, NO I don't smoke any of my Pete's just because I have others right now to smoke, not because they aren't good smokers.
In fact I'm purchasing another (non-system) and am just waiting on Pete to finish it.
There is one thing I do like about ALL Peterson's and that is the P-Lip because it points the smoke to the roof of your month and not at your tongue. This I find prevents minor tongue bite (you know that little tingle you get at the tip of your tongue) that I may get from some tobaccos from time to time.

Cartaphilus":ond41gyl said:
Personally I don't like system's because I'm lazy. They won't pass a pipe cleaner and I don't want to wait till they cool to take them apart for cleaning besides not wanting to have to take them apart to clean.
You can twist them apart while still warm without doing any damage, fortunately. I like them, but they're the only pipe in my experience that pretty much needs to be completely swabbed out after every smoke. Or else I'm doing something wrong.

Well I am on my second bowel and it smokes really well as far as cleaning I knew that getting into it but I love they way it smokes so this will be one I have to take apart to clean. I am cool with that.

Richard Burley":ba5ry7br said:
You can twist them apart while still warm without doing any damage, fortunately.  I like them, but they're the only pipe in my experience that pretty much needs to be completely swabbed out after every smoke.  Or else I'm doing something wrong.  
You are doing nothing wrong, and it's just like you say.
The System pipes have to be cleaned after every smoke, or you will fill your pocket with juice if you tip it over, and if they have a military bit they can be taken apart even while smoking without any damage to empty that system well.
Personally I no longer smoke the System pipes preferring the non system ones. But the System pipes are a great Dry smoke and no gurgle.

I've 3 system Pete's. Two 307's and a 306.

All smoke really fine, and I do occasionally remove the stem to insert a cleaner while smoking. But this is mostly to push an errant piece of 'baccy away from the draft hole that has restricted the draw.

None of my blends smoke particularly wet, so I've not had to deal with that to date.

All in all, I like and endorse the "Pete system engineering".

Cheers,

RR

CipsterX":tfv2liu1 said:
img_2012.jpg
Got it today and am breaking it in with some Best Brown so far so good sits great and looks great!
That's a real beauty and what a superb choice in backy for the first smoke, talk about living the life of Riley, you got it going on sure enough, congrats Buddy.  :sunny: 

Thank you and to be honest cleaning is really easy just one extra step. No worries at all!

Cartaphilus":436ac6l1 said:
...This I find prevents minor tongue bite (you know that little tingle you get at the tip of your tongue) that I may get from some tobaccos from time to time.
The way I smoke, it's more akin to a rabid wolverine latching on to the tip of my tongue as if it was the first piece of meat he's had in two months!

I rather like the system pipes, both the Peterson's and especially the Savinelli's.  I have two of each and the full-bent Sav. that I traded for is wonderful for lat blends. The 6mm balsa "triangles" do little more than soak up juices (which is a good thing), and a quick rinse under hot water and they can go through a couple smokes before being tossed.

I also like the P-lips, as lest on these pipes.  The only down side is they are more difficult to run a pipe-cleaner through. 

Natch

Natch":54rk5nud said:
Cartaphilus":54rk5nud said:
...This I find prevents minor tongue bite (you know that little tingle you get at the tip of your tongue) that I may get from some tobaccos from time to time.
The way I smoke, it's more akin to a rabid wolverine latching on to the tip of my tongue as if it was the first piece of meat he's had in two months!

I rather like the system pipes, both the Peterson's and especially the Savinelli's.  I have two of each and the full-bent Sav. that I traded for is wonderful for lat blends. The 6mm balsa "triangles" do little more than soak up juices (which is a good thing), and a quick rinse under hot water and they can go through a couple smokes before being tossed.

I also like the P-lips, as lest on these pipes.  The only down side is they are more difficult to run a pipe-cleaner through. 

Natch
A lot has been said about the P-lip design both for and against. For me I have no problem with it and most of my Pete's are P-lips. They do offer a slightly restricted draw but I don't find that to be a significant factor.

As always ymmv.

Cheers,

RR