New Pipe Purchase - good or bad deal?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipero

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just purchased this piper a few days ago, it seems nice and unique but I'm not sure it if was worth what I have paid.
Total: $155 w/tax $ s&h.
I've done my research but it's very limited.

Could I get your feed back?

Check out the pipe

Thank you.

I don't know anything about Lacroix pipes, but I do know that that seller usually sets somewhat high opening bids. I bought one pipe from him a while back, and afterward, I felt like I had overpaid. However, I recently sold that same pipe on EBAY for a modest profit, so you never can tell.

If you liked it enough to spend that much on it, then it was worth that much.

And you proved it :)

:face:

Not familiar with the brand, but that appears to be a rather nice pipe.

I did find this quote, which you may or may not have seen already:

"Lacroix Pipes have a rich history of pipe making tradition. Eugine Lacroix began making pipes for the Delacour factory in the 19th century; his sons founded their own factory in 1921. Two of the grandsons (including Jean) continued on in the business, but parted ways and struck out on their own in 1962. At that time, Jean set up Jean Lacroix pipes, coincidentally in the old Delacour building his grandfather started in 85 years prior. Today, Jean Lacroix, Chacom, Jeantet, and Vuillard are all pieces of the larger Cuty-Fort Enterprises, and Jean is actively involved with the prestigious Confrerie des Maitres-Pipiers de Saint-Claude. Jean still makes pipes; his spectacular freehands are known throughout the world."

Found it here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-would-like-information-on-this-pipe

And they found it on what appears to be a defunct page from the piperack.com.

Frost, Yak, Harlock, thanks for your input.

It's my first pipe so it was a very spontaneous purchase.

I'm hoping I'm not missing out on some good pipes out there for the price for this one. :suspect:

Hmm...

Yak":dxfwl8lu said:
If you liked it enough to spend that much on it, then it was worth that much.

And you proved it :)

:face:
Yes, it´s if you enjoy it. Then it´s worth every cent and more...

Go for it buddy! It is certainly qualifies in the top-end of first pipes! How many people get to smoke their first bowlful from a diamond inlay briar, huh? ;)

Just take extra care in breaking her in properly. The listing didn't really say if it was pre-smoked or not. Be sure to be patient with the cake and you will be rerwarded with excellent smokes, I am sure of it.

As for the value, since it was your first you will probably never resell it anyway. So by buying it, you made a 135$ pipe positively priceless :p

Enjoy!

It is a beauty. Very elegant and understated. It's Bond's pipe. James Bond's pipe.

Being the first pipe that you lusted for, I think you made a good buy....nice looking pipe. :bounce:

Nice blast...nice shape....ENJOY !!!

Re: "Buyer's Remorse / Second Thoughts"-----We all suffer from it now and then, but invariably goes away with time. I bought a Savinelli many years ago that I was very disappointed with; I thought it smoked with "too strong a woody flavor", and convinced myself it was a crappy pipe...Over time as it was broken in, it was fine, and a good smoker.

Beautiful pipe!

After reading shinypipes "seller requirements" I have been discouraged from doing business with him.

I have really enjoyed doing business with Coopersark and Pipestud though. Both are gentlemen sellers with a great attitude who offer high quality new and used pipes. I just purchased a gently used minty condition 2 star Ferndown from Pipestud for less than $100 that I'm thrilled with.

Dutch. You listed two of the most reputable pipe dealers in the market these days, and I've heard many good things about both of them. I've not bought from Coopersark, but have from Piprstud several times, and just last month I placed a tobacco order with him, the "sealed" pound of GH Plug had a tiny pin hole in the corner, he was worried that it might have dried out the tobacco, so he refunded me the amount of it rather than passing along a potentially questionable tobacco. That dropped my order to well under the limit for free shopping, but he gave it to me anyway.

Natch

Only time will tel if it was a good deal or not. When you break it in and if its a great smoker, then I would think you got a good deal.

Natch":v5qky4qv said:
Dutch. You listed two of the most reputable pipe dealers in the market these days, and I've heard many good things about both of them. I've not bought from Coopersark, but have from Piprstud several times, and just last month I placed a tobacco order with him, the "sealed" pound of GH Plug had a tiny pin hole in the corner, he was worried that it might have dried out the tobacco, so he refunded me the amount of it rather than passing along a potentially questionable tobacco. That dropped my order to well under the limit for free shopping, but he gave it to me anyway.

Natch
Natch, one thing I've noticed with both of these sellers is that neither will put up for sale or bid questionable items. They never need to point out flaws or damaged areas on their pipes because they simply won't handle those types. With both these sellers, a buyer can bid with confidence.