New Ropp Mid-Century Drilling Questions and Concerns

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning BoBs. I just received this pipe from Smoking Pipes. It is an new and still unsmoked M303 bent acorn shape. I havent yet gotten it to pass a tapered cleaner. Taking apart the stem, I see that the draft hole is drilled high relative to the tenon. It looks to possibly have a bit of ramp below the hole, so maybe this drilling was necessary because of the bent angle. The hole in the bowl in pretty much dead center and just a mm or 2 from the bottom. What do you think about whether this should be considered defective, etc. The box was labeled made in St. Claude France, so I'd think they know quite a bit about pipe making. The Mid-Century line is from old stock stummels found in warehouses in France. There are interesting articles about this on SP. Thanks Swede
20231013_083401.jpg
20231013_082405.jpg
20231013_082257.jpg

In my experience, this drilling technique is frequently used in many bent pipes. Wellington-style pipes (no matter the maker), many Pete's, GBDs (obviously) are drilled this way in order for the draft hole to line up and/or for the drink-well to work. I have several very old bents that are drilled this way. And, yes, it takes some effort to clean them with a pipe cleaner. FWIW, FTRPLT

If you like the pipe maybe you could use a dremel to lower the ramp below the hole, however I personally would considet it a defect. I don't think you should have to modify or repair a brand new pipe.
I agree with this. I'd return it if possible. It's one thing to have to screw around with an estate pipe from another hobbiest, but not interested in modifying new pipes. *If I bought an estate with these same issues from an online business, and they didn't note this in the description, I'd also be returning it. After all, if you're buying estate pipes from SP, TP, Blue Room, etc, you're paying a premium price and shouldn't have to be dealing with basic, significant flaws like this either.

I agree with this. I'd return it if possible. It's one thing to have to screw around with an estate pipe from another hobbiest, but not interested in modifying new pipes. *If I bought an estate with these same issues from an online business, and they didn't note this in the description, I'd also be returning it. After all, if you're buying estate pipes from SP, TP, Blue Room, etc, you're paying a premium price and shouldn't have to be dealing with basic, significant flaws like this either.
I appreciate the posts about this. I emailed SP with the same pictures, and asked if it was defective. They replied that this kind of drilling was necessary due to the shape/bend of the pipe. Given that is true, there would be no replacement with centered drilling in that shape. I like the shape and blast. Still thinking about what to do on this. Even though it's a problem, I've learned more about pipe "mechanics" now.

Hmmm... Bummer. They answered, so no need to cast further darkness on the experience. I guess it comes down to smoking then. If it smokes well, I'd leave it alone and submit to the fact I'd have to take it apart to clean it after every smoke. I used to do that in my fastidious days. We all did. Pipes survived just fine. If it didn't, or if the experience soured the pipe for me, I'd cut my losses and move it onto another piper. But then you're faced with the tedious task of selling it. The fun never ends.

As Ranger107 said, I don't think you should have to do major repairing on a new pipe. Now, sometimes, MM cobs come with tight stems, but bar soap on the tenon will fix that. Some cob smokers do the "pipe mud" trick on every cob they own, but I have never found it necessary---my ten cobs all smoke just fine. Actually, I have noticed that no two pipes are exactly the same, so if one has a minor peculiarity I can live with, I don't worry about it. Major problem? Send it back; I wouldn't pay someone to fix a pipe I paid good money for.