Newbie attempt

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klatham

Reaction score
OK, I have started smoking and now carving pipes while in Iraq as a means of relaxing and finding ways to redirect myself. I am by now means an artist or ready from prime time, but I figured Id throw my first one out there.

Nice work. Maybe if you scored a line around that band, you could press the band into the scored grove, and give the edges a taper, or maybe heat the band up til it is over sized, and then let it cool to shrink to a smaller size. Somethings to keep in mind when you make another banded one.

I really like that style of band. Might I inquire where you acquired such a thing?

Thanks for the input, I felt the same about the band, but as this was a learning experience I didnt know what to expect....

THe band came from a lot I purchased on Ebay.....

I just got my first pipe kit and I hope my first looks as good as yours. good job.

I like what you were going for on that one. The shape is elegant and proportional, and probably a slight edit (as was mentioned by Cygnus) of the band would up the style-points a bit. The metal on the band looks quite thin, and it might have stretched and warped a bit. Bands often seem to be quite thick on most pipes, sometimes even integral pieces of the shank (like extensions) and that's probably the reason why.

There's some really great attempts at carving coming out of the...woodwork, so to speak...around here lately. 8)

Very nice work. That's a pipe that I would be proud to smoke. I agree with the others on band thickness, but I like the way it turned out. If I had seen that pipe for sale, i'd have bought it.

Ever have one of them days? I was carving on a piece of old briar and had it going just right, only to screw it up with some overzealous cutting.......damn....

Very nicely done. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jim

You can tell you're getting better already. Don't be afraid to take off more material. Good job. :)

Apples & Oranges, Sir. Miles of improvement. Better lines, Style & Rustication. Nice Stem work also. Keep 'em coming! :shock:

Even better! Make sure you get the sanding marks out next time. ;)

The pipes look fantastic, great work! I have been thinking about giving it a try myself. Again, great job.

Beautiful swirly grain and birdseye.
...Did you notice that you just happened to get a 4-leaf clover in the pic right against the pipe's mortise!!? Nice! Must me a special pipe.

These were done yesterday........Im starting to enjoy making these...

MAN! Your work is really improving. I would love to own that last pipe. Very nice work. Nice rustication, and the stemwork is nice, and the banding is spot on.