Next against the shooting block - My review of SG 1792 Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried my first bit recently. I was very surprised that I found the tonquin not as upfront as has been described...but of course, we all taste differently.

The nic isn't bad for me...but again, I'm kind of immune unless I really go to town on an empty stomach.

Still working on the flavor profile (only have had 2-3 bowls thus far), but will probably buy some in bulk plug form and stash it away.

For my first Lakeland, and as one that HATES old lady perfume, I was glad to find it palatable.

1792 was the first tinned pipe tobacco I ever bought.
It was even before I started browsing any pipe forums and I knew of SG from buying snuff.
Still not sure why I went with 1792 cause Holts has a decent selection of SG but I got a winner and I would say 1792 would fall into my top 10.
Still want to try out Cob Plug.
Is 1792 considered a Lakeland type just because of its area of orgin or is that term just used used for the perfumey stuff like Grousemoor?

willc":mkbfgsjb said:
1792 was the first tinned pipe tobacco I ever bought.
It was even before I started browsing any pipe forums and I knew of SG from buying snuff.
Still not sure why I went with 1792 cause Holts has a decent selection of SG but I got a winner and I would say 1792 would fall into my top 10.
Still want to try out Cob Plug.
Is 1792 considered a Lakeland type just because of its area of orgin or is that term just used used for the perfumey stuff like Grousemoor?
Lakeland in my books refers to the region, however you'll often hear the term "Lakeland Essence/scent" or just "Lakeland" used synonymously with flavor descriptions like Floral, soapy, and even Old lady perfume, or sock/bloomer drawer flavor. The fact of the matter is that both Gawith and Hoggarth and Sam Gawith have a variety of tobaccos to choose from. Some have the Lakeland scent and others don't. Furthermore, there is a very large variety of aromatic essences used by both companies. I like a lot of them, some more than others. I have yet to smoke 1792, but I do enjoy G&H Rum Flake, Bob's Chocolate, Brown Flake, Glengarry and Grasmere Flake, as well as a variety of Sammy G's options from non scented tobaccos like Full Virginia Flake, Best Brown, St James Flake and Squadron Leader to ones that are like Firedance Flake and Kendal Cream Flake.

Smoking a bowl right now and I am getting a really dark sweetness like earth and plums, and some cedar wood. I will say that this is the most stout tobacco I have tried (Small sample size, Squadron Leader, Nightcap, MM 965) but I have a good buzz going. It is hard to keep lit and I sat it out for an hour.

sonarman":2mj92dlz said:
Smoking a bowl right now and I am getting a really dark sweetness like earth and plums, and some cedar wood. I will say that this is the most stout tobacco I have tried (Small sample size, Squadron Leader, Nightcap, MM 965) but I have a good buzz going. It is hard to keep lit and I sat it out for an hour.
Hopefully that's where ill be in an hour or so... *sigh*

sonarman":ap87s36h said:
Try some Bracken Flake. It's like a milder version of 1792 and burns better.

Storm_Crow":vowenba2 said:
... and there was something else going on in there that contributed to a general feeling of malaise...
Yeah, what's up with that? I had the same thing.

williamcharles":68r6nr0s said:
sonarman":68r6nr0s said:
Try some Bracken Flake. It's like a milder version of 1792 and burns better.
Bracken flake you say? Sounds intriguing.

Well, I finally had the "opportunity" to try this Lakeland staple last night at a local B&M I go to on Wed. evenings. One of the guys there had finally gotten his order in and was enthusiastic in sharing some with those of us their last night. Tonquin bean is supposed to be a sort of vanilla scented/flavored topping but from the smell that came out of his freshly opened tin somehow it had LOSt any semblence to vanilla! Instead it was a very cloying "old ladies soap" scent and TASTE when lit ! This has to be some of the wettest, stickyess tobacco I've encountered in my years of smoking ! The scent of this tobacco is STILL on my hands after washing twice last night and after I finally got the stuff lit I could only smoke about 1/4 of the bowl before I dumped it out ! The owner of the shop asked us to stop smoking it in his shop as he was afraid his HVAC system would keep the aroma and not be pleasant to others coming in. My friend was very dissapointed in it and all in all it was not a pleasant experience for any of us last night! Now I need to do a salt treatment with my GBD Century bulldog I tried it in!! For all you folks who like it, I'm sorry but I have to dissagree and for me, this has to be the WORST excuse for a tobacco blend! I've tried it, 'nugh said :p

And if that treatment doesn't work for you, there is Walker's Magical Ozone Stinky Pipe Cleaning Machine.

monbla256":h0qwkk6u said:
Well, I finally had the "opportunity" to try this Lakeland staple last night at a local B&M I go to on Wed. evenings. One of the guys there had finally gotten his order in and was enthusiastic in sharing some with those of us their last night. Tonquin bean is supposed to be a sort of vanilla scented/flavored topping but from the smell that came out of his freshly opened tin somehow it had LOSt any semblence to vanilla! Instead it was a very cloying "old ladies soap" scent and TASTE when lit ! This has to be some of the wettest, stickyess tobacco I've encountered in my years of smoking ! The scent of this tobacco is STILL on my hands after washing twice last night and after I finally got the stuff lit I could only smoke about 1/4 of the bowl before I dumped it out ! The owner of the shop asked us to stop smoking it in his shop as he was afraid his HVAC system would keep the aroma and not be pleasant to others coming in. My friend was very dissapointed in it and all in all it was not a pleasant experience for any of us last night! Now I need to do a salt treatment with my GBD Century bulldog I tried it in!! For all you folks who like it, I'm sorry but I have to dissagree and for me, this has to be the WORST excuse for a tobacco blend! I've tried it, 'nugh said :p
If I'm understanding this correctly, then y'all tried a fresh bowl from a freshly opened tin/package???

EPIC FAIL.

Lol it MUST be dried first... It's been said quite a few times 'round here. You old timers should know better :p

Tell your buddy to just let that tin sit for a month. Then check the moisture... Additional dry time may still be required... And use a cob! I bet you two tins of Royal Yatch or Virginia Woods that you guys will enjoy the blend

s.ireland":c6pagsm1 said:
monbla256":c6pagsm1 said:
If I'm understanding this correctly, then y'all tried a fresh bowl from a freshly opened tin/package???

EPIC FAIL.

Lol it MUST be dried first... It's been said quite a few times 'round here. You old timers should know better :p

Tell your buddy to just let that tin sit for a month. Then check the moisture... Additional dry time may still be required... And use a cob! I bet you two tins of Royal Yatch or Virginia Woods that you guys will enjoy the blend
He got it last Saturday and had read it needed airing out so had left it open till he brought it to the shop last night. Even after three days of being opened it was STILL sticky and wet and I took what i had rubbed out and put it on a paper towel and in the store micro-wave fro 10 seconds which made it able to get lit, but bottom line, it smelled like and tasted like SOAP! I wash with soap. I don't smoke it :p I'll stick with RY and VW thank you :p

...well, like a good scotch, it is an acquired taste regarding 1792 Flake...but many fine tobaccos are that way... :cheers:

monbla256":86555f18 said:
s.ireland":86555f18 said:
monbla256":86555f18 said:

EPIC FAIL.

He got it last Saturday and had read it needed airing out so had left it open till he brought it to the shop last night. Even after three days of being opened it was STILL sticky and wet and I took what i had rubbed out and put it on a paper towel and in the store micro-wave fro 10 seconds which made it able to get lit, but bottom line, it smelled like and tasted like SOAP! I wash with soap. I don't smoke it :p I'll stick with RY and VW thank you :p
Ah! Makes sense. It is probably the stickiest tobacco I've ever come across as well. Honestly, I enjoy 1792 after the tin has been open four to six weeks! The moisture that it looses must be all that soapy essence and what im left with is probably the closest to a nice Maduro cigar as pipe tobacco gets! I also like it best folded and stuffed or at least really chunky.

Have you ever smoked McClellands Mature VA #24? I know you like 22 and 27... I've almost finished a tin from 99. I sent Kyle some but I don't think he's gotten around to it yet... If you havent tried it, let me send you a sample I'd love to know how it compares to some of those other McClellands VA that I haven't tried yet...

I ordered some Aurora (and some Tudor Castle) with my last order
8)

PeterD":vthzwwo9 said:
...well, like a good scotch, it is an acquired taste regarding 1792 Flake...but many fine tobaccos are that way... :cheers:
How true. Well put, Peter! :cheers:

Perhaps more true with 1792 and other "Lakelands" than many other blends...

monbla said, on smoking 1792 in a smoke shop:

The owner of the shop asked us to stop smoking it in his shop as he was afraid his HVAC system would keep the aroma and not be pleasant to others coming in. My friend was very dissapointed in it and all in all it was not a pleasant experience for any of us last night! Now I need to do a salt treatment with my GBD Century bulldog I tried it in!! For all you folks who like it, I'm sorry but I have to dissagree and for me, this has to be the WORST excuse for a tobacco blend! I've tried it, 'nugh said.

This excerpt says so many things so very well:

Smokeshop guy said put it out.
Friend who had ordered the tobacco was grievously disappointed.
One bowl and monbla is headed for the salt treatment, worried about the ghost.
WORST excuse for a tobacco blend.

Sometimes I've got to wonder if blenders pull a recipe out of their heads, and no matter how well it does, stick with it. I wonder if they think that if they keep it in the marketplace long enough, someone will like it; and like the power of the internet to make anyone famous if they post some alluring Hollywood crap and just leave it there accumulating hits, pipe smokers will hit on the tobacco, and over time become enamored of it because, it's tobacco, and we're tobacco fiends:).

But the above does not apply to my current favoring of 1792. I tried it 10 years ago for the first time, my mentor telling me it was very strong. I smoked some on the way home and thought it very formidable and very odd. He'd given me the tin so I continued to smoke it, liking it, but not enough to buy more. I smoked it on and off over the next seven years with the same reaction. But about three years ago it bit. I'd hit it enough so that it bit, holding me, bring me back again and again. I seem unable to buy tobacco in less than a pound unit, and for about two years, somewhere in there, I played frustrated tag with SG as what I bought was 1792 without the nicotine. I had similar battles with Bracken Flake and FVF. I went as far as to buy a pound of Cob Plug to get the HO version but failed. I gave up and discontinued smoking it. The 1792 I liked was an HO. But I couldn't stay away and bought another pound about 18 months ago, and got the real deal.

At this point I find that I like the flavoring very much; it is the only cased tobacco that I smoke. There was a meeting of the mind of tonquin with my taster. My take has changed again so that now, though of course the tonquin dominates, I also get many subflavors that I would describe as both frilly and dowdy, master tobacco descriptor that I am:).

I feel that I've laid in enough HOs until I croak, 44 pounds Dark Flake (if Rich ever gets the last 12 pounds), 19 pounds 1792 and 8 pounds ODF, maybe another 8 soon. I couldn't imagine being without 1792, oddball Lakeland that it is, and proud of it!

...adding another .02 cents here...I am quite surprised that a smoke shop owner would have customers stop smoking a certain tobacco...I've smoked this SG tobacco since the early 1960's and frankly, I believe this flake and plug form have lost some of the "punch" it used to have. Starting in the late 1990's I began to notice that shift. I consider it one of my top 15 tobaccos and there it shall stay... :cheers:

I've had some more of 1792 since then, well dried and rubb'd out as well as three other Lakelands style of 'bacs since I first tried this and I maintain my first impressions about "old ladies soap" bacs, I'll take "ketchup" any day :twisted: :twisted:

Holy cats, this thread is epic! On a whim I bought an ounce of 1792 from a local B&M earlier in the week since I like most SG offering but have yet to try it. Then I found this thread! :shock: Hilarious stuff, I don't know if I ever seen such a decisive tabac!

Will post more after I try it today or tomorrow, but I'm guessing I'll have a gentler introduction then most, since I suspect the bulk stuff I bought has been languishing in the store for quite some time. The long, bulk flakes aren't really moist to speak of, and even when I huff the bag the, uh, bouquet isn't overwhelming. All the same, I can be an N weenie--one flake of ODF is perfect, for example, while with two and I start drifting into dangerous waters.

Wish me luck, gents, I'm going in!

GrampaGrossbart":z4izbz6r said:
Holy cats, this thread is epic! On a whim I bought an ounce of 1792 from a local B&M earlier in the week since I like most SG offering but have yet to try it. Then I found this thread! :shock: Hilarious stuff, I don't know if I ever seen such a decisive tabac!

Will post more after I try it today or tomorrow, but I'm guessing I'll have a gentler introduction then most, since I suspect the bulk stuff I bought has been languishing in the store for quite some time. The long, bulk flakes aren't really moist to speak of, and even when I huff the bag the, uh, bouquet isn't overwhelming. All the same, I can be an N weenie--one flake of ODF is perfect, for example, while with two and I start drifting into dangerous waters.

Wish me luck, gents, I'm going in!
Yeah, there are few tobaccos out there that are as "love it, or hate it" as 1792. I find it to be very gentle and quite creamy. I like the scent, though at first I wasn't too crazy about it. 1792 is an acquired taste, but so are a lot of other things that I find to be quite enjoyable (strong blue cheese, a runny aged soft French cheese reeking of ammonia, Belgian Farm house beers, or ales fermented with Brettanomyces, homemade sauerkraut). Scotch as pointed out earlier is a good example, especially a good Islay malt.

Bonus points for smoking it very slowly in a cob, and as mentioned prior drying it out a tad before hand. It's one of the few flakes I rub out rather than cube.