No more pipes and tobacco for awhile.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
So my wife was on her way to Norman ok yesterday when our car broke down. We aren't sure what the problem is all I know is that the car suddenly started decelerating and she pulled it over on the side of the road. Now it wants to turn over but it won't. I am not a car guy, I can check my fluids and that's about it. I just had the car worked on a few months ago so I don't have a clue what's wrong. Oh and now we are carless. Amy is fine and the car is at a friends house. All in all it could be worse I guess it's just frustrating being stranded and all. Thoughts and prayers would be appreciated if one feels so inclined! Thanks everyone!

Cars can be a royal pain in the a** sometimes.
Hope you know a good & honest mechanic (rare these days).
My thoughts are with you guys.

Been there, done that, got the greasy tee shirts and hat to prove it! Generally, though not a mechanic either, I'll have a decent idea of what is wrong. There have been times that I knew what it was and couldn't afford the fix for awhile. It has always worked out somehow. Sometimes the best fix is a 'gas cap exchange' take the gas cap off, go find another car that it fits (which is working) and there you have it! :lol:

If you are trying to fix it yourself, remember the three most basic things first. Spark, Fuel and Air, though I'm doubting the later.

1. A clogged air filter, can cause trouble, or an obstructed air intake.

2. Check to see if the battery has voltage (should be at least 10 volts to be able to even turn the engine over 12 volts is ideal and the capacity of the battery) With someone helping, pull out a spark plug (it really doesn't matter which one as long as you can get to it easily) Have your helper turn the ignition on and try to start the car. If you are getting output from battery, coil/ignition system you should see a nice fat spark.

3. Check that the car has fuel, check inline fuel filters to see if fuel is getting to the carb or injectors.

Those are the most basic things to check, and most folks who aren't 'car guys' can check them without damaging anything further. Often one of the three will be found 'suspect' and once corrected will at least get you to a repair shop for help. Many newer car for instance rely on constant output from the alternator (which runs other electrical systems in the car as its running and keeps the battery charged) If the alternator fails, the car will continue to discharge the battery as you are happily driving down the road, sputter to a stop and not turn over. The dead alternator has left you running on battery power alone, and once the battery is dead, you are stranded, often without any warning.

Chin up brother, the ONLY people who don't have car troubles, are people who don't have cars! Best of luck to you, I'll bet everyone here has experienced this at LEAST once. :pipe:

PS, keep us posted, I'm betting some brothers can pool resources and if its something catastrophic would be glad to help.

Wishing you the best on that, Aaron. I had that very thing happen about 10 years ago right on the highway. It ended up being a wiring harness that had gotten switched over and laid on a hot piece of the motor. Lucky for us the warranty covered it. It really could be a number of things. I hope for you it turns out to be something very inexpensive.

Keep smokin', brother. It will help you through hard times like these. :pipe:

Get a referral to a good mechanic, also it would help some of us here like myself to know: year, make, model & milage.

Could just be a sensor & car went into limp home mode.

I never can remember the model year on my car. I think it's either a 2003 or 04 but I could be wrong. It is a dodge neon and it's got a lot of miles on it. Again, can't remember how many. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and replies fellas.

Sounds like a loss of fuel pressure. I'm betting on the fuel pump. Try having someone turn the car over while you gently rap on the tank with a rubber hammer. If something's stuck it will start. You can be sure it's the fuel pump if you spray some starting fluid into the intake (big hose that goes from the air cleaner to the top or side of the motor) If it's the fuel pump the car will run for a few seconds and shut off. The pump is about $100.00 and the labor is about $150.00 depending on the car...

Aaron":x2kzeqaf said:
I never can remember the model year on my car. I think it's either a 2003 or 04 but I could be wrong. It is a dodge neon and it's got a lot of miles on it. Again, can't remember how many. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and replies fellas.
Yep. Neon's are known for fuel pumps. We've changed at least a dozen on ones we've sold at my lot...

Aaron":hw1bsbm4 said:
. We aren't sure what the problem is all I know is that the car suddenly started decelerating and she pulled it over on the side of the road. Now it wants to turn over but it won't.
Just from this description I take it to mean the engine will not spin to
start. If that is so your engine is shot.

Cars with serious hi miles such as yours can ,and do, spin main and/or
rod bearings due to wear will s-l-o-w-l-y stop the engine just as
you described.

This can be tested with socket/breaker bar on the front crank pulley
nut. If you can cause the engine to turn it's repairable...if locked up
the engine is toast. Get a mechanic to check this you'll know fast
if the car is a goner.

Best of luck......

Aaron,

Sorry to hear about your car trouble, some of the brothers offer good advise. You and Amy are in our thoughts and prayers. Give the folks that worked on the car a while back a call and let them know what happened, they just might know whats wrong.

Take care and keep us informed,

Dan

It could also be a clogged fuel filter. If so, that's a cheap, easy fix.

Buck":g69t78k0 said:
Aaron":g69t78k0 said:
. We aren't sure what the problem is all I know is that the car suddenly started decelerating and she pulled it over on the side of the road. Now it wants to turn over but it won't.
Just from this description I take it to mean the engine will not spin to
start. If that is so your engine is shot.

Cars with serious hi miles such as yours can ,and do, spin main and/or
rod bearings due to wear will s-l-o-w-l-y stop the engine just as
you described.

This can be tested with socket/breaker bar on the front crank pulley
nut. If you can cause the engine to turn it's repairable...if locked up
the engine is toast. Get a mechanic to check this you'll know fast
if the car is a goner.

Best of luck......
Aaron,

None of us here are beleiving Mr. Pessimism. The Lord can anwser prayers when it comes to man made mechanical things the same as he can for personal human situations. A lot of good positive information above and places to start. I am praying for a quick transportation recovery for you and Amy!

Aaron/Amy I feel for you both... I've found over the years that car repairs can throw a budget out of whack very quickly and alway unexpectedly. All the best to the three of you.

Aaron,

A wiser man than me (my Dad), always said that you know life is going well when your car suddenly stops working.

The only thing wrong with your car is Carma(terrible pun at a time like this, i know)

Best wishes for the family and car.

thanks for all the thoughts and prayers eveyone. I'm trusting everything will work out fine. Hopefully I can get it back to my place by mid week and have someone look at it. Right now it's at a friends house. We'll see how it all turns out.

Heh, I actually asked her that very question! But no, she filled up before she left town. She had a full tank.

I've had engines fail from everything from wet gas to a dead starter motor, and a fully blown engine. If you have a friend who's mechanically inclined and who can give the car a listen, that'll help you help yourself with the mechanics.

I am so glad my folks made me take a year of auto shop in HS. One of the best investments of time ever. No, I don't change my own oil, but I know when the grease monkey is trying to give me a snowjob. I also have found a superb and trustworthy mechanic.

If you and Amy need some of the noble weed to tide you over, PM me. I have a few things I can send your way.

john-in-kc":8sqjw77i said:
If you and Amy need some of the noble weed to tide you over, PM me. I have a few things I can send your way.
Yes, I also have more than enough tobacco laid into share with a brother in
need. Pm if you get in a tight spot.