Nosewarmers....or not?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
I saw this nosewarmer that i kinda dig, but i'm not sure how much i would actually appreciate it's stubby profile. (I don't own any stubby pipes)
The length is 11.6 cm (4.55 inches) so its not an ultra short pipe, but the bowl is big and takes up nearly half the total length.

Any nosewarmer lover out there that can tell me some good reason for it? Other than the fact that it warms ur nose on a cold day lol

Isagar, I absolutely love smoking these little pipes, and as you will find, they smoke just as cool as the majority of 5 to 7 inch long pipes. Here is a blog you may enjoy reading from one of our own here on BoB.....

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=31

The more time goes on, the more I come to prefer smaller, shorter pipes (under 6"). (Dream pipe : http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t23128-at-last 8) )

This may or may not be related to crack heads preferring shorter and shorter crack pipes over time.

The narc who told me this, years ago, said he could about tell how long a crack head had been one by how short his pipe's stem was. He figured they wanted to snuggle up as close to their rocks as they could. So much so he figured they must be singing their lips after a while, from them being right up against the bowls.

:face:

I'm not a big fan of these pipes as they ".... just don't look right" to my eyes. Most seem to have bowls out of proportion to the shank/stem length, JMHO :twisted:

monbla256":2zyz5a6u said:
I'm not a big fan of these pipes as they ".... just don't look right" to my eyes. Most seem to have bowls out of proportion to the shank/stem length, JMHO :twisted:
I think that's part of their appeal.
Kind of like the out of proportion head size of an infant,
or puppy eyes...
Or super deformed Japanese mecha toys.
They just look kind of cute. :p

I think there are many beautiful examples out there these days, such as Dutch's collection above, but my personal taste leans toward longer pipes.

monbla256":i3m4qmb7 said:
I agree in principle. Yet Dutch's pics are pretty agreeable to me as well.

Don't think I'll be buying a nosewarmer anytime soon though.

That said, my Tinsky '12 Xmas pipe might be considered a nosewarmer and I like it just fine........

:rabbit:

HCraven":i3m4qmb7 said:
I think there are many beautiful examples out there these days, such as Dutch's collection above, but my personal taste leans toward longer pipes.
This.

Cheers,

RR

Boswell makes good nosewarmers, and while mine is a TAAAD bigger than what is considered one, it would be hard to tell that it wasn't if you saw it.
I like mine though I don't think I'd buy more than I already have now.

I think the issue is that i have never personally seen or touched a nosewarmer 'in person'.
90% of the times, the pipes i bought online looks better in person than on photos.

Dutch, when the junebug first came out, i was contemplating about buying one but the price was a bit too steep on a pipe shape I donno if i like or not.
I think i'll buy the nosewarmer, I actually dreamt about it last night LOL, that's gotta be saying something

The short small pipe idea is one that I like, I have a couple, though mine are small all over (Stanwell Featherweight). The current trend is for chubby, fat short pipes which (I believe) is spawned from the almost cult-like following of the highly sought after Castello shape 10. The thick bit-end of the stem is what seems to be in question here, not so much the idea of a short pipe. While I personally don't really enjoy thick bits, I'd love to have a Castello 10, I think they're very stylish and appealing, as are some of the other chubbies, like the Pease/Radice June Bug.

As Dutch pointed out, the saddle bit offers the cure for the dislike of thick bits on short pipes. You can still have chunkiness while being able to comfortably clench with a saddle bit. Those fat nosewarmers do look cool, but they look like they'd be uncomfortable to smoke if you had to remove your hands even for a moment. But, who knows, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I like short chubby pipes, but generally not shorter than 4.75 in. It's strictly a matter of aesthetics. Tobacco burns at several hundred degrees. The inch or two difference is not going to cool the smoke to a degree you can notice.

I have one, a Radice that smokes quite well. It doesn't smoke any cooler or hotter than my other more traditional pipes. I've always found this size/shape somewhat compelling and fell into this one. I really like the Pease Junebug pipe but wiffed on a few estate deals sold here by not moving fast enough.

I like 'em. I like the way they look and the way they feel. I think there's a time an place for most kinds of pipe shapes. Most of them are like the little dog who has been fed to much, pretty pudgy and still kind of cute.

The inch or two difference is not going to cool the smoke to a degree you can notice.
You might be right, if you're going by a thermometer measurement.

I still have my first "real" (non magazine & tobacco shop) pipe -- a little (4.25") Bolo pipe ;
meerschaum-lined rusticated briar, which I smoke sometimes & enjoy.

The smoke from it may not be warmer (maybe it only seems like it is ?), but it's more something
that's noticeable, and pleasantly so. "Vivid" might be one way to put it. Or richer/rounder.

Looking back, it's been at the root of the gradual drift here away from "full size" pipes to
those enough under six inches to notice, with narrower (ideally, 13/16") chambers.

FWIW

:face:

This is my only Chubby, but it smokes like a champ.

lastrada-1.jpg

I've got five, three I smoke regularly which are a Ropp and Kriswill and a MM cobb with a nosewarmer Forever Stem:
2012-03-06_23-40-00_163

2012-10-01_21-08-01_430.jpg

The other two are a Lloyd's that looks like a smaller version of a Big Ben Ranger and a small dublin with a saddlebit stem marked "Opera."

All are good smokers, but the three pictured are my favorites. Love that they can easily be slipped into the pocket. The first two pictured I actually carried with me in New Orleans during Mardi Gras last year in one of my front jean pockets. Hardly noticeable and I can't think of an easier way to carry two pipes on your person.

I think a short, chubby pipe or two are a worthwhile investment and mine definitely hold a special place in my collection.

Love the look, when done right, but I would never opt for one, because I'm not a fan of smoke in my eyes/face as it is.

i've got a castello 10, a radice junebug, and a dublin i've made. i'll be buying more castello 10's and probably another junebug, as well as an aerobilliard or this awesome little canted chubby pipe he does. i think they are wonderful. they look great, fit in a pocket, and i get more compliments on my little chubby friends then any other pipe. plus they are really fun to make.