OCD Driven...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedPiper62

Reaction score
Hello. Hope all are well. I have OCD and am being driven mad trying to determine which Dunhill blends are the most Latakia-forward; besides Nightcap of course... Any suggestions? I just received a tin of Durbar and it seems more Oriental or "Balkan" in style. The Aperitif was goody & campfirish w/ Latakia a plenty! Now on to London Mixture. Any thoughts? I'm thinking of buying it next, but wanted you Dunhill fans' opinion(s). How's London mixture in the Lat dept.? Thanks for your thoughts and responding to me... Best, Piedpiper62

Okay, it's not a Lat forward blend but you know it's there. This blend smokes smooth and is definitely a repeatable blend on any day......

Dunhill Baby's Bottom (My Mixture BB1938)
" Hey Mikey, I think he likes it "!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I find London Mixture is much more of a balance of components and for this very reason, it's my favorite of the Dunhill Englishes.

The Latakia is there and you will taste it, but I get many more nuances from the spicy Turkish leaf & some delicate Virginia sweetness over a more subtle Latakia back drop. I definitely would not categorize it as Latakia forward.

Nightcap aside, when it comes to Latakia-dumps you may want check out some blends from other brands. :D

DrumsAndBeer":8ste0jhr said:
I find London Mixture is much more of a balance of components and for this very reason, it's my favorite of the Dunhill Englishes.

The Latakia is there and you will taste it, but I get many more nuances from the spicy Turkish leaf & some delicate Virginia sweetness over a more subtle Latakia back drop. I definitely would not categorize it as Latakia forward.

Nightcap aside, when it comes to Latakia-dumps you may want check out some blends from other brands. :D
Through personal experience, do you find Nightcap to be one of the strongest Lat Dunhill's?

Can you all recommend some tobacs that are primarily English that contain high amounts of Latakia? I even bought some blending Latakia to "spice-up" my blends. I find Balkan style tobacs have too much Orientals & not enough Latakia. I just bought some 10 Russians & Gaslight looking for that little extra kick... Thanks, PiedPiper62

PiedPiper62":e5y4t27c said:
Can you all recommend some tobacs that are primarily English that contain high amounts of Latakia? I even bought some blending Latakia to "spice-up" my blends. I find Balkan style tobacs have too much Orientals & not enough Latakia. I just bought some 10 Russians & Gaslight looking for that little extra kick... Thanks, PiedPiper62
They are called latakia bombs, and not always admiringly. But whatever turns ya' on, I say. 8)

PiedPiper62

If your looking for a Lat bomb I highly suggest you try Park Lane PL11-012....it's just a tad over 75% Latakia in this blend.
I think you'll enjoy the blend... :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Zeno, I knew this question was recently discussed but good pick up on your part it being the same OP

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

PiedPiper62":asbdron3 said:
Through personal experience, do you find Nightcap to be one of the strongest Lat Dunhill's?
For sure. There are a couple different strength attributes at play with any tobacco, tobacco strength which includes nicotine and taste/flavor strength. When it comes to the Dunhill blends, I think Nightcap is the strongest mixture in both of these categories, as well as the richest in Latakia.

Looking back on the other thread, and considering your inquiry, I would disregard my recommendation of Tashkent, as it is chock-full of Oriental tobacco.

Perhaps consider a few blends that contain only Virginia and Latakia.. These tend to have a less complex flavor profile, but they can be quite satisfying when it comes to tasting the Latakia on its own against the sweetness of good Virginia leaf.

I would suggest Sam Gawith's Commonwealth Mixture - 50/50 VA/Lat. Very smoky, very tasty and nicely balanced due to the various grades of Virginia that SG uses.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/samuel-gawith/Commonwealth-50g/product_id/1214

and there's always Balkan Flake. 70/30 VA/Lat. It's pressed and rich tasting as a result.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/samuel-gawith/Balkan-Flake-50g/product_id/8275

I would also give Lancer's Slices a go.

http://www.4noggins.com/Charles-Fairmorn-Bulk-LANCERS-SLICES.aspx

I don't care for C&D Pirate Kake, but some love it. It's 75% Lat, with Burley and a small amount of Turkish leaf, but you may like it.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/cornell-diehl/Pirate-Kake-2oz/product_id/27366

Happy hunting..

It's a shame we can't get this blend any longer, it was a NY City Dunhill Shop blend called, A110-10 and was a delicious, did I say a delicious, Latakia forward blend.

Now, interestingly enough, Lonecoyote mentions a Park Lane blend... Well, it was Paul Bonacquisti himself who first introduced me to Dunhill's A110-10 many years ago. It was a favorite of his and became one of mine as well.

As fate would have it, he loved that blend so much he made a very, very good match to it which is, fortunately, available today from Park Lane, PL110-10. Try this blend you won't be disappointed.

In terms of a Dunhill blend available today that is Lat forward, I'd say Nightcap.

skaukatt

Paul Bonacquisti is in my opinion a MASTER BLENDER that's overlooked by many pipers. I've smoked a few bowls of Park Lane PL-11010 and found for me it's lacking in flavor. Might be just me, I do know others that really enjoy it...ALLOT.
As for me I much prefer the Park Lane PL11012, more robust and body to this blend. Heck, everyone's Ph is different, that's why pipe tobacco's are so subjective to each individual.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I couldn't agree more, Lonecoyote. I have never tried PL110-12 but it sounds wonderful. On the other end of the tobacco spectrum, I also love The Connoisseurs Flake (a match to Ed Burak's Connoisseur Pipe Shop's blend Scottish Ribbon) and I also love Paul's Red Paramour, aka Red Crack!

On the complete other end of the spectrum, I also very much enjoyed Paul's own signature cigars. I had the fortune of being in the Albany area last month and found my way to Park Lane Tobacconist. When I contacted Paul, while we were unable to meet in person, he extended the courtesy of smoking in his Executive Lounge in the rear of the shop. I tried a couple of his own blended cigars and they were were wonderful! Yes, he's a master!

skaukatt

Funny you mentioned Paul's own blend cigars. Also as a cigar smoker for 50 years I wanted to order a few as a gift to myself on my last Birthday.  The online website has been down for a while " due to website re-construction ".  I've been looking every other day.
I'm looking forward to smoking a few of his own cigars, I've heard nothing but " fabulous cigars, a MUST try "!
Thanks for the heads up on the other pipe blends. I've never done CRACK....lol.
Oh, I'm 66 and have never smoked marijuana, yup I'm one of those weird ones....lmao.

PS, by the way I'm originally from NY...Born in Brooklyn...the Capital of the ?? USA ??

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote

Great to know that you are originally from Brooklyn - small world!  

Yes, Paul's cigars are really wonderful, medium body, creamy, and very enjoyable smokes, I wish he made a maduro version as my tastes favor dark wrappers.  Never the less, his cigars are fantastic smokes in which he spent 2 years perfecting the blend.  I hope he can continue to make them in light of the FDA nonsense.

The other two pipe tobacco blends are wonderful virginia blends if you like virginias you should give them a try.

Happy Smokes!

Lou

Lonecoyote":merdkfcx said:
Paul Bonacquisti is in my opinion a MASTER BLENDER that's overlooked by many pipers.
Have to agree with that.

Last I checked, which wasn't too long ago (you'll find me complaining in a post somewhere), Park Lane Bengal was $80/LB + shipping. I don't know if that is just that blend specifically or what. Their webstore is down, and they have to calculate it all over the phone.

Zeno":xajqcd88 said:
Last I checked, which wasn't too long ago (you'll find me complaining in a post somewhere), Park Lane Bengal was $80/LB + shipping. I don't know if that is just that blend specifically or what. Their webstore is down, and they have to calculate it all over the phone.
Yup, it's the price of the Bengal is why I have not tried it as of yet. But figure once I place an order I will include 4 oz. of Bengal. The website has been down for a while now so if I really needed any tobacoo right now from Park Lane I would definitely not hesitate to call. I'll wait a week or two and keep checking.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Carlos":7qu6d4ls said:
I am still hoping to come across some Standard Mixture Full tins.
Wouldn't that be nice, like the perfect holiday ? gift ?... :cheers:
But the odds are not in our favor!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!