Old Dark Fired

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC

Reaction score
Opened a tin of Old Dark Fired today for a first try. It is a tasty VaBur and was smokable out of the tin. Another new tobacco to always have in my rotation.

ODF is really good. I just wish that I could actually smoke more of it. To me it's the Prime Rib of Mac Baren's catalog. Great for holidays and special occasions, rich and subtle, but after I smoke a bowl of it I am good for quite a while.

Hey, a little goes a long way I guess but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :D

I have added Old Dark Fired to my regular rotation as well. Another MacBaren blend that I keep in regular rotation is Navy Flake.

Neither of these two blends seem to need any age on them to be appreciated. I suppose it is the burley component in both that makes this possible.

I also found it of particular interest that MacBaren considers this an English blend despite the fact that it contains no Latakia. That fact alone will have me experimenting with several different pipe shapes, to determine which delivers the best flavor from this unusual blend.

I smoke it often.

Problem is, sometimes it gives me a headache, not sure why. A few other tobaccos do this, too. Not much to do with strength, I can tackle a bit of G&H rope with no issues. *shrug* Must be a certain kind of leaf.

8)

ODF has been a recent discovery for me. I like it a lot!

I love that stuff, but yeah, it's a wee bit too fierce for every day puffing. If I know I'm only going to have one bowl to last me a long time, though...

Tried it and like it, but the flavor seems to a little bit artificial to me compared to other Kentucky prominent blends. May be wrong, just my 2¢.

I taste fine blending and tobacco craft in this tobacco. As they sauce most tobacco, I don't doubt that it's got something, but whatever it is I would say it is minimal.

Add me to the ranks of ODF fans. In general, I think MacBaren is underappreciated...granted, most of their aros are cloying and tend to bite, but some of their non-aros are really, really good. If you like ODF, you might want to give Stockton a try as well (I also like Acadian Perique, but that's a bit of a different animal).

Definitely give MB HH ODF a try if you haven't already. It's one of my personal top 5, for sure - maybe top 3.

Doody

:cheers:

Kyle Weiss":f6dal6pl said:
I smoke it often.

Problem is, sometimes it gives me a headache, not sure why. A few other tobaccos do this, too. Not much to do with strength, I can tackle a bit of G&H rope with no issues. *shrug* Must be a certain kind of leaf.

8)
It's your love of this particular Halfling leaf that seems to be slowing your mind! :lol!:

I could do with some slowing myself and will pick up a tin when I'm ready for a beat down.

I love ODF, one of the finest new blends to hit the market in years. It always smokes very cool with no bite and it delivers great flavors for me. If is also maybe the best value for a tinned tobacco on the market.

cigrmaster":42qug951 said:
I love ODF, one of the finest new blends to hit the market in years. It always smokes very cool with no bite and it delivers great flavors for me. If is also maybe the best value for a tinned tobacco on the market.
Quit reading my mind, Harris! :D

ODF is one of my favorites but I agree with one of the earlier posters that it is rich and not an every day smoke. I prefer to smoke it when I can sit back and really enjoy it. To me it can have a bit of a nic hit but I'm a light weight.

It is a very rich smoke and not a daily for myself. I probably smoke it 3-4 times a week though. It is one of my favorite after dinner smokes. I did smoke it once first thing in the morning and it was definitely too full for that time of day.

I like strength anytime of the day, but the problem for me is that I've nothing in my stomach.