Old man jokes and comments due to pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonomo

Reaction score
It goes something like this. "Oh I didn't know you smoke a pipe. It makes you look old."  Or "I thought only old grandpa's smoked pipes". Then after I light up, they almost all say, "wow, I love the smell of your pipe".  

The interesting thing is that I usually ask if they smoke cigars and most do.  Some even cigarettes. But I don't hear any jokes about those smoking activities.  Why is this?

I think we live in a time when pipes are rare and so they are treated as peculiar and unusual. It seems to take folks by surprise and so they don't seem to know how to act appropriately and oftentimes end up saying something ignorant. I usually try to be an ambassador and gently educate them. But, sometimes the response warrants nothing more than the ole stink eye. :lol: 

I always tell them I am bringing it back one man at a time , then ask them if they are man enough...LOL it is usually good for a chuckle

If I get a comment it's usually "... OH! YOU SMOKE!! ..." with a corresponding wrinkling of the nose and a disulatry "mmmm" . Response like that is worth only blowing smoke on 'em If you can. :evil: :evil: 

zonomo":7xnryej6 said:
But I don't hear any jokes about those smoking activities.  Why is this?
I don't know why, but this is part of the reason I smoke cigars in public. :shock: 

I think it is because, although not as widespread as pipe smoking once was it is still embedded in peoples psyche that pipe smoking is a grandfatherly kind of thing... if this makes sense.

Hey! Here's a novel idea, maybe because most or a lot of us have Grandchildren. :suspect:

Cartaphilus":9s2ib67k said:
Hey! Here's a novel idea, maybe because most or a lot of us have Grandchildren. :suspect:
:lol!: :lol!: Good one.

An hour ago I just had a co-worker ask. "Can you still buy buy Pipes, they must be hard to find".
And he lives in a city of 60,000 people.

While it does appear that pipe smoking is on the rise, the popularity of cigars continues to grow exponentially and while cigarette smoking has been dropping considerably, there are still many more folks who smoke cigarettes than all other forms of tobacco use combined.

In my area there are about 12,000 people, I've lived here 8 years now, and I've only seen a couple other pipe smokers here in all that time so I have to think there are far fewer pipe smokers. Of course, we only see other smokers outdoors, in vehicles, in private homes and some private clubs.

In my experience, I get a double take when others see me smoking my pipe, yet I've very rarely received a comment and if so, it's usually in a social environment, at the club or outdoors and if so, it's usually something positive, such as "ah, your pipe smells nice."

Well I can say that in the last 12 months since I starting Pipe smoking, I have yet to see a single solitary pipe smoker in the wild. If I did, I would be like me running into another American from my same city while visiting Europe. Instant BFFs.

Maybe I'm just blessed or something, I dunno; but I smoke my pipe in public without giving it a second thought and the majority of people I come across know how to keep their tongue behind their teeth.

:twisted: :twisted: 

Over here in SA the black people especially are amazed, according to them only "madalas" (old men) smoke pipe.
Nowadays I don't care, I think I just got used to the looks over the years.:lol: 

Hawker":pd10s5vm said:
Cartaphilus":pd10s5vm said:
:lol!: :lol!: Good one.

An hour ago I just had a co-worker ask. "Can you still buy buy Pipes, they must be hard to find".
And he lives in a city of 60,000 people.
Maybe under a rock but, that's okay, more for me.

A few years ago, when I smoked cigars only, the wife mentioned she wished I smoked a pipe instead. I laughed and said I was "too young to smoke a pipe". Four years later, I haven't had a cigar in nearly that length of time.

I have an all-purpose reply for yinz --

The person commenting is almost always a member of the female persuasion. Whether the comment has to do with age or whatever, you reply:

"Yeah, I was told pipes are chick magnets."

If she makes a benign, friendly response to this, you are open to say:

"It seems to work pretty well."

But if she makes an unfriendly, judgy response, you are free to just grunt and ignore her . . . or you can say:

"But I was hoping for younger, slimmer chicks."

zonomo":67gjgxd9 said:
Well I can say that in the last 12 months since I starting Pipe smoking, I have yet to see a single solitary pipe smoker in the wild.  If I did, I would be like me running into another American from my same city while visiting Europe.  Instant BFFs.
Z-

Well after all, the Emerald city is the bastion of the uber pc-crowd.

Just sayin'.......

nonono2.gif

Cheers (?)

RR

Hey Monte, I have to say (again) how much I appreciate your input vis-a-vis our hobby and how so glad I am you're posting here now so we can continue to relate about our hobby.

Bro, it's all about input, as we learn and share.

Thanks again for posting 8) 

zonomo":h40hsul0 said:
Well I can say that in the last 12 months since I starting Pipe smoking, I have yet to see a single solitary pipe smoker in the wild.  If I did, I would be like me running into another American from my same city while visiting Europe.  Instant BFFs.
As far as I know, there is now only one other person who smokes a pipe at my University while on campus -- one of the grounds/maintenance supervisors. If I'm out walking and he drives by I wave at him, but he usually only waves back if I'm smoking my pipe.

Most common comment when someone notices the pipe rack in my office "Wow, do actually smoke those?"

Slartibartfast":g5bf16cs said:
Maybe I'm just blessed or something, I dunno; but I smoke my pipe in public without giving it a second thought and the majority of people I come across know how to keep their tongue behind their teeth.

...I find pretty much the same thing here in the South East...I know I get a few stares and I'm sure comments are made...I don't really let it bother me. I've smoked a pipe for nearly 53 years and I don't intend to change my passion for pipe smoking either...

PeterD":q4dwidgl said:
Slartibartfast":q4dwidgl said:

...I find pretty much the same thing here in the South East...I know I get a few stares and I'm sure comments are made...I don't really let it bother me. I've smoked a pipe for nearly 53 years and I don't intend to change my passion for pipe smoking either...
It's the same for me.

I came back to the pipe full time from cigars a couple years ago snd I feel the exact same way you do.