old versus currently made Dunhill pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
I am considering buying a newly-made Dunhill pipe, but, before doing so, I wanted to make something clear. Are Dunhill pipes in current production of lesser value or quality than say a Dunhill produced in 1979? I was told that the currently made Dunhill pipes are now produced by another manufacturer and that these pipes are inferior. If this is the case, then which year marks the change? I cannot help being suspicious of a merchant who carries and pushes only estate Dunhills - especially when he reduces the price of the pipe by 50% if I pay by cash instead by VISA. I am ready to take the jump and buy a nice quality pipe, but I am not educated enough to make the move. Thanks for your thoughts.

-Fumo Bro :?:

I'd buy an old production pipe, of maybe every major make, over a recent production pipe. Do not fear the Estate pipes.

In a sense, Dunhill doesn't really "make" pipes anymore, if my understanding is correct. I guess putting a stem on a stummel that was cut in france is a sort of "making" but I fail to see this a mystique-generating stuff.

I guess it depends on what you want. Why do you want a Dunhill at all, as compared to some other pipe? If you want an oil cured pipe (which Dunhill haven't been for a long time) try Ashton or Wiley. If you merely want a very good pipe.... good heavens, I can point to a dozen (or maybe a dozen dozen) makers whom I would say make pipes which are "better" than the Dunhill offerings I've seen in shops recently. I've seen some pretty far-fetched price tags on some pretty lousy workmanship. Gaps, poor bit work, sloppy finishing, less than stellar drilling.... Peterson's quality control is currently better, in my opinion, and they aren't even "high grade".

I'd say get an old one if you must get one, but I'd also say that a new Radice will kick any Dunhill's butt.

Just my .02 though.

Based on nothing more than numerous readings from various sources and conversations with several fine folks in the "business," I have never purchased a DH made later than 1969. I have eleven from the 20's thru the 60's. They are wonderful pipes. I strongly recommend buying a good estate DH. JMHO, FTRPLT

You buy Dunhills to impress people who don't know any better........... :roll: :p :D
Like Sas said, there are literally DOZENS of pipes I would buy before even looking at a Dunhill.

If you're deadset on getting a Dunhill, the older production is definitely the way to go. Otherwise, take the money you want to spend on a Dunhill and have Sasquatch make you a custom pipe! :cheers:

Over the years I've always wanted to say I own a Dunhill. But the simple truth is 2 new Petes in the hand is worth 1 Dunhill estate on Ebay. I could never justify it, but then I am and always have been income deficeint. If money was no object, I'd buy a pre 1967 Dunhill (special oil treatment ended that year I'm told) and then have a new bit made for it.
The truth is my favorite all time pipe is a Ben Wade, I paid $45 for in 1970. Not cheap in the day, but Dunhills even then sold for much more.

Best of luck in your persuit.

Fumo, if your sidebar notes are accurate, and you are smoking a couple Radices and a Ser Jac, I don't see how a dunhill is an upgrade in anything but price.

If you want an "upgrade" then you better talk to Rad Davis, Bruce Weaver, Dan Gabrieli, or one of these other guys and buy youself a serious custom high end. At least those guys make a comfortable button. Most of 'em, anyhow. :cheers:

Sasquatch":g3p2sqbg said:
and buy youself a serious custom high end.
Are we talking motorcycles all of a sudden? Just an odd way to term things.

I'd agree that the latest Dunhills are probably not on par with the ones made in the heyday of pipe smoking. Better briar was more readily available and more care was given to the product. I had a wonderful Root Briar size 3 Billiard from the Early 60's that smoked like a dream. I also have a few from the 80s and a couple from the 90's which I bought new. I also think that age itself, no matter when it was made, will improve them. My first new Dunnie I got in the late 80's and now really smokes nicely in comparison to the same model I have that was made made in 2005.

I think that could be said for just about any pipe too. In general my oldest pipes are the best smokers for me. Be that because I know them well, or that they indeed change I couldn't say.

I personally just like them, and despite their relative decline in quality I always keep my eye out for them. My most recent PAD was an ebay estate Dunhill Tanshell billiard. Piet graciously helped me with the restoration via email and it turned out very well.

DoverPipes":j3j7rv2h said:
You buy Dunhills to impress people who don't know any better........... :roll: :p :D
Like Sas said, there are literally DOZENS of pipes I would buy before even looking at a Dunhill.
Tend to agree here, but they are still nice.

Seeing Dunhills in a shop with a 4-digit price tag left me with the impression that Dunhills are top-of-the-line pipes. My knowledge of pipe smoking is somewhat skewed. I seem to be more interested in what I am smoking rather than the pipe I am using. Do "high-end" pipes actually smoke better than "less-expensive" pipes, or are the high-end pipes prized according to the art and craftsmanship? I guess I better wait until I learn a little more before I spend big-bucks. Thanks and I appreciate your comments.

I only own one Dunhill, my birthyear pipe - 1957 Shell 250. I own it because its date of manufacture could reliably be determined. I've had Dunnies made this decade that got eBay'd off - they were nothing special.

I concur with the "better routes to go" comments above.

Buddy

Like I always say, my Peterson Aran XL02 smokes my tobacco down to ash on one light, and I get compliments on it everywhere I go. Pits and all.

All for about 75 bucks.

Same with my Neerup, Johs, and Stanwell pipes, among others.

Fumo, there is a law of diminishing returns as regards "how does it smoke". I'd say that up around the mark you are already experiencing, the Italian mid-grade mark, you are seeing pipes that smoke as well as anything, or maybe there is some final tier, but it's not like some other pipe is going to smoke "50% better" (whatever that might mean) than your Radice.

Buy a misdrilled basket pipe made from cheapo briar, and you WILL find a pipe that is 50% worse!

Now, I mentioned "serious custom high end" and I meant it. You can order a pipe custom tailored to your own preferences for shape, finish, bowl size, stem material... etc. Whatever you want. And you can do it between 200 and 500 bucks. You'll get a pipe that has been so carefully built and finished, and all out of the very best materials.... the thing will blow you away. Ruthenberg, Askwith... these guys are building very good pipes from all reports.

Now, you won't be offered a strange 50% cash discount, and the pipe won't have the magical white dot. But if what you want is a wonderful smoking instrument, then you are better off talking to Tinsky, anyone named Davis, or any number of other small-operation pipe makers.

I concur with Sasquatch. I almost buy primarily custom pieces now and the value is unmatched. I own four of Mr.Tinsky's pipes and one was custom made for me for less than what many Dunhill estate pipes cost. Every one of them smokes incredibly well and Mark is one of heckuva a nice guy to deal with.

I can say the same about Steve Liskey, Brian McNulty and JM and Dan Boswell; amazingly talented carvers, making incredible pipes.

You also might want to do an ebay search for Copenhagen era WO Larsen pipes. A lot of these pipes were carved by the superstars of Danish pipecraft (Former, Knudsen, Tonni Nielsen, Jess Chonowitsch) and can be had for no more than a couple hundred dollars (unless it's a pearl or straightgrain). I own several of these beauties and they all smoke wonderfully and are stunning to look at.

One of my favorite pipes is a Larsen squat apple I believe was carved by Former. It's beautiful and virtually smokes itself. I got lucky and paid only $60 for it on ebay!

Piet Binsbergen":bppxm40n said:
DoverPipes":bppxm40n said:
Tend to agree here, but they are still nice.
Peter,
They are "nice", but don't smoke any better than most of the pipes I've owned.
If I found a "true gem" and could pick it up for a fair price, I would. The Dunhill Marque is way over priced. It was just plain old snobbery. The brand has fallen on its' laurels and hasn't produced anything worth while in quite some time. Sure, it's nice to have a gold adorned pipe or a Namiki Gold Fish, but why? It's just a pipe!!! You put tobacco in it and smoke it.

I have the ultimate solution to the problem.......
Just buy a Jan Pietenpauw & Son custom made. End of problem :D

Happy smokes Brother!

I have one Dunhill and am looking for the right birth year pipe 1967, but most of my money hase been spent with Mark Tinsky. I own eight by Mark and two older ones by Curt Rollar, all great smokers estate pipes from about 50.00 to one Made to order from Mark under 250.00. I will most defiantly buy more from Mark before I am finished.
Lance Dahl aka Fireman

I just ordered a new Shell 3103 today from McGahey in Exeter, so these negative rumors better be exaggerated!

Of course, I'm aware of the fact that I'm overpaying for the white dot on the stem. Even though I'm not planning on collecting a whole set of Dunhill's the fact remains that it is a classic I just have to try. Smoking my supposedly inferior Orlik-produced Dunhill tobaccos from a "lesser" modern Dunhill pipe just seems like a great fit, especially if the pipe will give me as much pleasure as the "inferior" tobacco does. ;)

I haven't tried the estate market yet. I've always been a bit hesitant about smoking a used pipe, but this is something I'm planning on getting over soon. It is a bit ridiculous not to if the pipe has been cleaned well. However, does this mean that, according to the posters in this topic, a birth year Dunhill isn't a step up for someone born in 1985?