Oldest in yer cellar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a tin of Walnut from the turn of the last century. I gifted it to a Brother here on B.O.B.
Never heard if he smoked it or not.....:suspect: 

Wow, Doc, just...wow.

I was lucky enough to stumble into a couple of tins of Mclelland's Ringlow Syrian Reserve from 1995. Cracked one a few months ago and have been really enjoying it--can't say it's too mild at all, just right, in fact. Now, I haven't actually smoked a fresh tin of it, so I can't compare it to what a fresh batch tastes like--checked my B&M last time I was down, and the Ringlow Syrian tins they had were all at least a few years old, so couldn't pick one up to compare (I know, everyone should have this problem with their local tobacconist!).

Other than the Ringlow Syrian, I've been working my way through a tin of Douwe Egbert's Aromatic from the late 70s/early 80s...not much of an aro person at all, and after 30+ years in a tin the topping is still a bit much for me!

Seeing Doc's impressive collection reminded me. I do have this gem that was gifted to me by a most gracious BoB'r when I was bombed into submission several months back. I have no idea how old it is. :?: 

I have a little PCCA Virginian from 1992, and a few assorted Dunhill tins from the '80s. I should probably smoke them. They're not getting any fresher. ;) 

DrumsAndBeer":6h1u1t9d said:
Seeing Doc's impressive collection reminded me. I do have this gem that was gifted to me by a most gracious BoB'r when I was bombed into submission several months back. I have no idea how old it is. :?: 

The Oriental Express is from the late 1980's if I am not mistaken. It's a great Oriental blend and highly recommended by lovers of fine Turkish leaf and very difficult to find. Many of the long gone Garfinkel blends are treasures. Enjoy.
:cheers: :cheers: 

I have a McClelland No. 25 Virginia from 1999! I'm waiting just a little bit longer to pop it! Besides that, the rest are from the past few years.
Zach

docwatson":fx7lhcdd said:
The Oriental Express is from the late 1980's if I am not mistaken.
I bought a pipe from that shop back in the late 70's. I tried various tobaccos from them - all bulks. Orient Express might have been one of them.

Oldest in cellar: a tin of Pease's Renaissance (11 years, 8 months) that I was gifted with. The oldest I've bought are some Grand Orientals -- bought last year but dated in various months of 2007 -- but hopefully lots of time for what I have to grow older gracefully!

I certainly can't compete here, all I'd have to do is look at my watch to give you that answer. :fpalm: 

docwatson":p62j0h8y said:
I'd have to say that some of this stuff goes back to the 1950's. :D 
Doc! What you say I come over and we crack that Baby's Bottom open and have a few bowls?:D 

Bluefisher":2j8cja17 said:
well hey man that's not bad at all. Have you smoked any well-aged Latakia blends? I hear they sort of loose their edge, but I wouldn't know from experience.
I think the way Lat blends improve with time trumps the softening of the Latakia. The best Lat blend I ever smoked was some 40 year old Balkan Sobranie, followed by a 12 year old tin of Germain Special Latakia Flake. Both had really excellent sour notes, and had developed those "incense-like" notes that get used frequently because people are at a loss to describe the taste they're looking for adjectives for. I've also got about a pound of Raven's Wing from 2002 or 2003 (I'd have to go look). It is spectacular.

Most of my tobacco was bought in 2011 and 2012, because that's when I got serious about not being subject to any FDA regulation that may happen. I do have the Raven's Wing and some Renaissance too from 2002-2004, some Germain Brown Flake from 2005, and about a pound of Marlin Flake from 2004. Aside from those I won't be smoking any decade old tobacco for a few more years.

Oldest stuff I have are tubs. I have half and half from the 20's, PA from 1940, SWR from the late 60's, Briggs and Union Leader from the 80's. Just recently opened an original tin of Philip Morris Field and Stream from 63. It was an experience to say the least. One I hope to never repeat. It was beautiful tobacco and wonderfully aged but reeked of patchouli. I gifted it to a friend as that's a smell I can't stand to be around.

I have some Three Nuns from WW II JimInks calls this 2000 y/o Three Nuns from the sample I sent him :D, 1945 Edgeworth Ready Rub, 1948 Sir Walter Raleigh and 49/50 vintage Five Brother, from there I jump into the late 50's early 60's Three Nuns then 80's Three Nuns and everything else is from the 90's to present.

Here's another old old tin which is a cutter top and is full but has been opened. Grrrrr.
Don't know how old and I've never heard of this blend before, maybe someone else here has???
The punched date?? on the inside label are 75+227 whatever that might indicate. Date maybe??

i've got some wessex and McConnell and astley VA's from the early 90s, and a lot of stuff from the early 2000's and late 90s. also tons of young gawith stuff, so i needed something to hold me over for a few years :D 

This what I have left from when I bought these from a B&M that closed in '83 here in town. I've two of the 100g tins of 965 and 6 of the 50g and the same number of the 100g tins of London Mixture and Nightcap. Just one of each of the others and I'm gonna open the 759 and Three Nuns on New Years  :twisted: