One of my favorite hats

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
with my 2 watches...........

A pre-TAG Heuer from the late 60's Model 3000 Automatic Chronograph and a Rolex Daytona Automatic Chronograph, the hat is a John Hanly & Son made in Ireland

8495527219_c599dc4849_b.jpg

Classics all three! Those watches will last your lifetime and another!

I can no longer read the makers tag. Mom picked this hat up in England for me around 35 years ago. I call it my " Siegfried Farnon" hat.

Up above on a hook is a Filson tin cloth hat. Raining pretty good here today, so I wore it to work.
image14.jpg

Love those hats, so I'll add to the fun but must have a good Irish Pipe to go along with a hat from the same Country. :D

IMG_4063_zpsa0c5ce50.jpg

IMG_4064_zps5f3920c0.jpg

Thought I resized both photos the same but apparently not. Grrr. Luddite me.

After some googling, I'm afraid I will become your hat-sister soon, fishnbanjo! :D

fishnbanjo":uyzahlf7 said:
One of my favorite hats
is actually a cap ... from John Hanly and Son in Ireland ...

and, I absolutely LOVE it ... if I had a cap like that, I'd wear it all the time ...

docwatson's cap is damn nice, too ...

Carlos's hats, on the other hand, ARE hats ...

Okay, I'll play a long, 5X Resistol and six gun pipe.

DSC01575.jpg

cart, that's a high quality hat ... what do you do with it if it needs cleaning ??

SteveS":r50tyq7r said:
cart, that's a high quality hat ... what do you do with it if it needs cleaning ??
Ya suppose to clean it!:affraid: 

You mean like now? LOL! I just use a good brush on it from time to time and that usually keeps it pretty good.
Back when I wore one all the time a dry cleaner would clean them for us. Or you could go into to town and have one of the hat guys re-block and clean it.

well, sure ... but by what means are you doing so??

just as you'd not take a stiff bristled scrubbing brush to a high-cost Italian sports car, you're not spritzing that hat with 409 ...

SteveS":zll7nsqn said:
well, sure ... but by what means are you doing so??

just as you'd not take a stiff bristled scrubbing brush to a high-cost Italian sports car, you're not spritzing that hat with 409 ...
No, it's a horse hair brush designed to clean hats, maybe you didn't see my complete reply.
I gets taken to a shop or dry cleaner to get a through clean when it needs it.
I've been wearing hats for more the 35 years and know a little about there care.
What exactly is your concern with my hat?

I'm not so much concerned as curious, given the very few places that one can get quality hat cleaning done any more ...

I have an appreciation for high quality hats and yours is high quality ... I've asked that same question of other hat-wearing guys I've met and most take great pains to not let their hats get dirty because the fact is, they don't have a good answer for cleaning ...

The hat brush is good for topical cleaning, but you've got a lot more confidence in your dry cleaner than I have in mine and the hat guy in town is something I can't find any more ...

SteveS":celdhky5 said:
I'm not so much concerned as curious, given the very few places that one can get quality hat cleaning done any more ...

I have an appreciation for high quality hats and yours is high quality ... I've asked that same question of other hat-wearing guys I've met and most take great pains to not let their hats get dirty because the fact is, they don't have a good answer for cleaning ...

The hat brush is good for topical cleaning, but you've got a lot more confidence in your dry cleaner than I have in mine and the hat guy in town is something I can't find any more ...
Well, here even though western wear and boot repair places are vanishing most dry cleaners that have been in business for any length of time know how to deal with hats. In some towns there are still hat/western wear shops that still have steamers and employees who know the art. Being Texas, there will always be hats and someone to care for them.
As I mentioned before, I don't wear the felt as much as I use to, so it never gets real dirty except for dust. That particular hat I've had at least since 1990. If you think it's dirty you should see the one I've had since about 1984. Come to think of it I've got boots that are just as old and older but, it's getting harder and harder to find a good boot repair.
People think nothing of plopping down $300 -$400 for a new pair of boots nowadays, wear'em out and then go buy another pair. This old man can't and never could afford to do that. I try to take good care of my things and will probably be able to hand them down to my grandchild's kids.

Iv'e worn Akubra felts for the past 30+ years and here's one I wear probably 75% of the time in the fall/winter. It's an Akubra Campdraft that back in the 50's/60's they sold as a Stetson under license to Stetson as the Open Road. Stetson had them make it as it was cheaper than importing them to Oz and it was made to the older original specifications of the Open Road and sold as an open crown hat as were the Open Roads back in the States were. Today the Stetson is still sold as the Open Road only now comes pre-creased with the "LBJ" style of crease. Akubra still makes it per the original and now calls it the Campdraft. It's not imported here but I got mine whem I went to Oz 20 years ago. It's rabbit fur felt as almost ALL good felts are today and this one, along with my 6 other Akubra's is a DAMN GOOD hat!! They still make a true"... fan the fire and water the horse" type of hat as Stetson used to.

93A5C834-CF03-4F4D-90C0-7E9E0B3CA0C6-27763-00003714520AB0D1_zpse7d5f2d0.jpg
[/img] I wear this one all the time on the farm , it's hot here in S LA mesh cap has served me well

fishnbanjo":qbyrinbf said:
... the hat is from John Hanly & Son, in Ireland
8495527219_c599dc4849_b.jpg

In a response I made on this thread, I commented that if I had a cap like that, I'd wear it all the time ... well, for Christmas, my #4 son gave me a patchwork cap from John Hanly and Son in Ireland ... it arrived in the mail today ... I've been out only once since the postman came and I wore the cap .... and I love it ...

But I must confess that while I appreciate my son and his thoughtfulness in getting that cap for me, in my heart, I like the look of fishnbanjo's cap more than I do my own ... with these patch caps, one takes what one gets and each is unique in appearance and I am happy with mine and should not be admitting to cap-envy, but man, I sure do like the color combo on the cap above ...

Love those patchwork caps, gentlemen. They are made for a pipe. Hat envy coming on . . .  :no: