Opinel knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I'm such a fan. Some of that is nostalgia. Some of that is cheapness and value. Some of that is their legacy. Some of that is their cool design. I don't know how they're thought of in the more serious knife world, and I'm curious. I'm sure they have to be laughed at by many, while people like myself have had one since they were a young person and think of them as a pragmatic necessity of life. They're considered a historic company in France. Like anything, even if it costs little, the more time and experiences you share with it, the more it means to you. They're so cheap that you can afford to lose or break them, but once you have several years under your belt with them, you don't want to lose or break them. They float. I feel the design is ingenious. I've always wanted a bone handled version, but that sort of defeats the purpose that ultimately they're a disposable tool. It would almost be like a 14k gold toothpick. How absurd. One of my first bosses introduced them to me. He was a Europhile, so he had all kinds of trinkets I'd never seen. I usually carry a No.8, but I've been meaning to grab a No.6 for a while now ($13). The No.6 is the smallest version with the smart locking ring (Virobloc). I don't know why anyone would want an Opinel without the locking ring, but different strokes for different folks.

I will say that one thing I do not like about the design is that the part of the blade that hits the wood when it is closed is quick to dull and difficult to keep sharp. The bare bones design doesn't allow for a stop pin in the folding mechanism, but I often wish it had something to keep the blade from the wood.

I like 'em because they're light for their size. This comes in handy if you carry a knife in those pockets that run down the leg on some jeans. You don't know it's there. Works well in coat pockets too, for the same reason. Not so good in regular pants pockets if you're fussy like me, because of the handle thickness. I have a #7 because it's the largest "legal" blade in some cities here in New friggin' Yawk. Don't wanna jeopardize my carry permit--which is a joke: I can carry a gun but not a large knife.

About closing bottoming out against the blade: so does my Laguiole, another French triumph of engineering. Prettiest folder I have, but the blade rests against the spring and a visible dull spot on the edge eventually appears. Ticks me off, but then so does most French stuff--except music, literature, food, wine, gals, etc.

I've been an Opinel fan for many years. We first discovered them whilst on a family holiday to Normandy in the early 80s. I say 'we' because it was probably my father who is something of a tool connoisseur who would have spotted their qualities first and bought a few to bring home to Blighty. Through seeing him with his and then becoming an age where I was considered responsible enough to have my own, I then have taken ownership of several since. In my view they are a triumph of design. The shaped handle that feels right in the hand, the locking ring that ensures all your fingers remain attached to your hand, and of course the legendary carbon steel blade that is easy to hone and gives a keen edge. Just brilliant.

I take the point regarding the blade dulling when closed. Victorinox are a good example of how to solve this by using the choil as a stop thus preventing the blade from touching the housing. But then for the price, we can't grumble. Yup, good bit of kit, get it in your webbing.

My Father at one time in his life was a Shrimper in The Gulf Of Mexico. I can still see him under the Old Live Oak mending his net useing his fixed blade Opinel net knife. He's passed away and I have it on my desk. I think of him when I see it.

I inherited my fathers #6 that he used for 30 years. He died 20 years ago and I've been using since then. It takes and holds an edge well, the handle fits my hand perfectly and it's nice and light and carries easily !! Another piece of excellent French design :twisted: :twisted:

To me, both French knife brands under discussion here should be considered as traditional or nostalgia lines...like holdovers from the past century. The Opinel (yes, I have one and enjoy it, in a way) is the Ford and the other is the Lincoln. Relics of the Industrial Revolution perhaps? Kind of Steampunk in design. Certainly suitable for a picnic lunch with a pretty girl. So...good for farm and fancy. But I wouldn't use either for serious Bushcraft or Tactical endeavors.