Opinions on MacBaren Acadian Perique please

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I'm primarily a Va/VaPer kinda guy I was encouraged by the description of MacBaren Acadian Perique-

This blend includes Virginias, Burleys, Original Cavendish, Dark Fired Kentucky, Orientals and, of course, a fair amount of Acadian Perique. The HH Acadian Perique has no top flavor at all which means that you will only enjoy the tobacco taste. When smoked, you will experience no tongue bite and this blend will smoke to the bottom, leaving only grey ashes. It is a rich, flavorful and very satisfying smoke.

And FWIW I also checked out the review site and found mostly positive comments. Yet I always take these with the appropriate grain of salt since the tastes of others and mine might be very different.

So my question to the brothers here is what you think of this blend and if it's worthy of a purchase. I'm not terribly familiar with the MacBaren line save for one off-putting experience with their Roll Cake many years ago.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

It's one of my favorites right now, but some friends who are big on VaPers can't stand the stuff--it's very much its own thing. It's pretty mild, in my opinion, and they're right on the money about the nice burn-to-dust and biteless qualities, in my experience. If you can wait a wee bit, I'll be cleared to hit up the trading post sometime in the next week or two, and once that happens I'd be happy to send you a sample. If you can't wait, I've certainly had worse blind buys!

Of the MacB HH series this blend is probably my favorite. I cracked a jar that had been sitting for over a year recently and time had done it some good. Less "green" tasting, if that makes any sense. Flavor-wise it's not overly complicated, which surprises me given the variety of tobaccos that go into it. As others mentioned, it's not a straight ahead Perique-forward blend either. More of a Perique presence than a spicy showcase. It's not my alltime favorite Vaper by any stretch, but once in a while it does the spot. Also worth mentioning is I don't find it DTG's as well as some other Vapers.

You can do much better IMHO.
If you want VaPers go for McClelland 2015 / Solani 633 / Dan Limerick Flake / Park Lane RED PARAMOUR / McClelland (PCCA) Beacon.......there are so many out there and all run about the same price. Why waste your time?

A reviewer I trust (for my own tastes) likes it quite a bit. It's one I've always kind of wanted to try as well...but with St. James Flake Bulk being in stock - that's where my money would go (I already picked up a pound of the SJF and would get more if I could afford it!).

And...there really ARE a ga-zillion exceptional VA/Pers out there...Escudo is even back in stock...plus Davidoff Flake Medallions, Redwood, G&H Lousiana Flake, C&D's Bayou this and Bayou that, Heinrich's Curly, Paul Olsen's 111, the Luxury twins - Bullseye and Navy...all sorts of good stuff.

But the description for the Acadian Periqiue has always tried to lure me away.......

I'm also mostly into VAs and VaPers. I prefer to avoid perique bombs, although sometimes a nice strong shot of the stuff is just what the doctor ordered (generally, I like the spiciness of the perique more than its other flavor contributions - ideally, I'm looking for a semi-spicy VA, if that makes any sense). Anyway, those are my tastes, so keep that in mind when I say that I do like HHA. It's fairly mild, nothing really stands out in the blend. On the up side this means that it is mellow, smooth, and well balanced - on the other, it can be a bit bland if you're in the mood for deep, complex flavors.

Like I said, I like it. It's not something that I keep in a regular rotation, but I do have one tin aging and might pick up one or two more to cellar once I crack the seal on the one I've got.

OK, so I gather from the Cognescenti that MacBaren Acadian Perique is a relatively mild expression of the VaPer style. And while I normally gravitate towards flavor-forward blends in this and other styles, I'll still be interested to see what it has to offer.

Nothing ventured they say.

Thanks for all the feedback gents.

Cheers,

RR

GrampaGrossbart":yowa6ev5 said:
It's one of my favorites right now, but some friends who are big on VaPers can't stand the stuff--it's very much its own thing. It's pretty mild, in my opinion, and they're right on the money about the nice burn-to-dust and biteless qualities, in my experience. If you can wait a wee bit, I'll be cleared to hit up the trading post sometime in the next week or two, and once that happens I'd be happy to send you a sample. If you can't wait, I've certainly had worse blind buys!
Well now GrampaG, first I want to thank you for gifting me with so generous a sample of this weed. And I've now smoked through several bowls and have this to say-

I find it to be a very enjoyable VaPer, albeit a bit on the milder side which is no bad thing. I've several other VaPers that suffice to "scratch that itch" when something more pronounced is required. And this one is simply like pulling on a pair of old comfortable shoes or some such.

Just feels right, no nonsense, easy smoking, just the right moisture level, lights and burns easily, smoulders and burns for a long time with minimal attention. What's not to like?

:drunken:

Definitely gonna get some of this in. Makes a nice change of pace, and nothing wrong with mild, as long as it's not insipid-mild which this not!

Many thanks Jesse. And now it's my turn to return the favor!

:afro:

Cheers,

RR

Well done Grampa G! :cheers:

Yeah, it really is a very simple but decent smoke. Glad you were able to "scratch that itch" Brewdude!

BD was not the only one to receive a nice sample. I was sent one as well. For his good will and actions I returned the favor by sending him a goodly portion of the following: Dunhill 965 (circa 2002), McClelland Oriental #8 and C & D Oriental Silk...all of which sounded like they would be in his wheelhouse.

My initial experience with the Mac B wasn't as positive as BrewDude's. The blend seemed to start off a little bitter and never quite recovered...but as I told him, I think it was the pipe used and not the blend. Further testing is in order. A burden that I bear with glee!

Glad to be of service, gents! It's a bit of an odd duck--as with the other Mac Bees I've tried, it's a bit different, and milder, than what I'd expect. Hope it burns better for you on a second try, BH, and glad it did right by you out of the gate, BD!

And your care package arrived last night, BH, but I'm still under the throws of a nasty head cold. Odd, it seemed so much more manageable before I had new blends waiting for me to recover...thanks again!

Reading all of this makes me want to go smoke a bowl of Captain Black White.
Stooges.gif

I wonder...having recently been on a 'love at first puff' relationship with the new HH Old Dark Fired...it being very deep and dark with a nice Kentucky note, and with excellent burn characteristics...I'm thinking about blending up a little 50:50 mix of the HH Acadian Perique and Old Dark Fired. If it works out I might call it...Kentucky Cajun...or vice versa.

I'll let you guys know if it works out well. If not...never mind.

I love this stuff. I'm smoking it right now in a Castello bent bulldog. I also love Escudo and Bird's Eye Flake, so I'm no stranger to the genre. I'm getting the perique effect, but also a very slight aromatic thing. I notice this also in the residual room note. Yes, it's sort of mild, but in a good way. I've smoked about half a tin, and it does hold up. No fading of first impression. I'll be buying more.

Interesting how things change...I just read my original reply to the thread from about a year and half ago - AP is no longer something I feel the need to keep around, as my tastes (where perique is concerned) have swung from "I like it fine" to "if it's a VaPer, it should be heavy on the Per."

I had done some reviews on tobaccoreviews.com to see what some other folks with a similar palate thought of this blend. I've been on a Virginia/Perique kick as of late and was looking for more info. Being that I enjoy most MacBaren blends I had to try this one. IMO nothing will ever replace the original Escudo but for a milder and more of an aromatic/virginia/perique this blend is the best I've ever smoked. Of course, it is all personal preference but I'm loading up on this stuff. :D

I like it. Without stating where I think it should rank on the hierarchy of the genre I will simply say it's definitely one you should try if the description appeals. I believe it's such a good burning mixture and pleasant enough to be enjoyed to some degree by all. You might very well get through it and say it's not hitting the mark you were hoping for and move on but I would be surprised to hear anyone have a revulsion to it or think it so poor as to throw it in the bin.

juanmedusa":5s1k2b25 said:
I like it. Without stating where I think it should rank on the hierarchy of the genre I will simply say it's definitely one you should try if the description appeals. I believe it's such a good burning mixture and pleasant enough to be enjoyed to some degree by all. You might very well get through it and say it's not hitting the mark you were hoping for and move on but I would be surprised to hear anyone have a revulsion to it or think it so poor as to throw it in the bin.
Very well put. Wish I could've said it as well as you did.
But this could be an all day blend in my pipes.
:cheers:

It sounds like a blend I need to try. I've been getting more into VA the past year, and VA-KY in particular. I also really liked the tin of Sutliff GOlden Age I tried. That's got VA, Orientals, Burley, black Cav, and Perique. THe Burley and orientals give it just a little something different than a VAPer, which I liked as a change of pace. HHAP sounds like it'd fit in there well!

I like it. The perique is plum and pepper. Strong enough to enjoy without overwhelming. I've got quite a bit jarred, but left some in a baggie to enjoy. Here's my review if it helps:

The name of this mixture may imply to some that it's heavy in perique, but actually, it's a moderate amount. You will taste it all through the smoke, but it doesn't dominate, and the spice is intertwined with familial notes from the dark fired Kentucky and Turkish components. There is a pleasant, gentle sweetness from the honey flavored cavendish, contrasted with a very mild nuttiness, and sweet note from the burley. The Virginias are slightly sweet, but mainly provides some earthy body to the proceedings. It has a rich flavor that bears repeating during your smoking day. Burns perfectly smooth with no dottle, no bite, and a consistent taste - the hallmark of a well designed blend