Opinions on MacBaren Acadian Perique please

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimInks":l4l223th said:
I like it. The perique is plum and pepper. Strong enough to enjoy without overwhelming. I've got quite a bit jarred, but left some in a baggie to enjoy. Here's my review if it helps:

The name of this mixture may imply to some that it's heavy in perique, but actually, it's a moderate amount. You will taste it all through the smoke, but it doesn't dominate, and the spice is intertwined with familial notes from the dark fired Kentucky and Turkish components. There is a pleasant, gentle sweetness from the honey flavored cavendish, contrasted with a very mild nuttiness, and sweet note from the burley. The Virginias are slightly sweet, but mainly provides some earthy body to the proceedings. It has a rich flavor that bears repeating during your smoking day. Burns perfectly smooth with no dottle, no bite, and a consistent taste - the hallmark of a well designed blend
Now THAT is a great review. Thanks Jim.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Interesting to see this thread reappear after 2+ yrs.

I'm still enjoying it, and Jim's review seems to sum it all up. Don't think I could describe it quite like that.

Apparently there's some discrepancies from the tinned vs the bulk, as some tasters have noted. Tinned seems to get the nod over bulk. Haven't had the opportunity to compare side by side so can't offer any input.

Cheers,

RR

JimInks":w0hphvb8 said:
I like it. The perique is plum and pepper. Strong enough to enjoy without overwhelming. I've got quite a bit jarred, but left some in a baggie to enjoy. Here's my review if it helps:

The name of this mixture may imply to some that it's heavy in perique, but actually, it's a moderate amount. You will taste it all through the smoke, but it doesn't dominate, and the spice is intertwined with familial notes from the dark fired Kentucky and Turkish components. There is a pleasant, gentle sweetness from the honey flavored cavendish, contrasted with a very mild nuttiness, and sweet note from the burley. The Virginias are slightly sweet, but mainly provides some earthy body to the proceedings. It has a rich flavor that bears repeating during your smoking day. Burns perfectly smooth with no dottle, no bite, and a consistent taste - the hallmark of a well designed blend
Oh, that's just great, thanks Jim, now I have another tobacco to put on my list.
Can't you just say it tastes like crap so I won't have to have another to try.
My biggest problem is not trying something that sounds that good and having
to worry if I'm missing out on something because I'm still in search of
that secondary blend that blows my skirt up. :fpalm:

Enabler! :suspect:

Ron,
Fuggeddaboutit. You are a devoted Escudo man and this is far from the full flavor that you will desire.
Just my opinion of course, but a connoisseur like yourself will find this interesting but too mild I think.
Let us know what you decide after your review of the blend.
:D

docwatson":wzvyjvge said:
Ron,
Fuggeddaboutit. You are a devoted Escudo man and this is far from the full flavor that you will desire.
Just my opinion of course, but a connoisseur like yourself will find this interesting but too mild I think.
Let us know what you decide after your review of the blend.
I won't be putting another TAD order until the first of the year but, I'll certainly let ya know sir. Hoping I like it to tell ya the truth but, if it's a mild as you say it'll probably end up in
tobacco purgatory. :|

I really like it as well, but I'm cheap and must wait until my next trip to Virginia Beach and Emerson's (which is the only source I've found in bulk for this) to resupply.
It's a sort of cavendished Vaper in my opinion.

Aristokles":cx91mx2z said:
I really like it as well, but I'm cheap and must wait until my next trip to Virginia Beach and Emerson's (which is the only source I've found in bulk for this) to resupply.
It's a sort of cavendished Vaper in my opinion.
Not cheap, just smart. ;)

Hey Ron, didn't I send you some of this a little while back?

Seems to me you tried it and didn't fancy it right away, but gave it a second look and found it more to your liking.

Or am I dis-remembering?

:suspect:

Chers,

RR

Brewdude":ejyku2lk said:

Seems to me you tried it and didn't fancy it right away, but gave it a second look and found it more to your liking.

Or am I dis-remembering?

Chers,

RR
BD, your guess is as good as mine, I can't even remember what I want to forget anymore. :fpalm:
The last I got from ya was Best Brown which I still have and enjoy from time to time.
If I did I smoked it all and don't remember. :scratch:

Cartaphilus":twb0j4fj said:
Brewdude":twb0j4fj said:

Or am I dis-remembering?

Chers,

RR

BD, your guess is as good as mine, I can't even remember what I want to forget anymore. :fpalm:
The last I got from ya was Best Brown which I still have and enjoy from time to time.

No problema amigo. I'll get (another?) sample off to you post haste.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":99g4l4ww said:
Cartaphilus":99g4l4ww said:
Brewdude":99g4l4ww said:

Or am I dis-remembering?

Chers,

RR

No problema amigo. I'll get (another?) sample off to you post haste.

Cheers,

RR
Thank you BD! Your too generous but, I'll take ya up on it cause I'm too cheap at $14 a tin.

Does anyone have a bowl or two of this on hand to send me (just enough that you could mail with a postage stamp)? It sounds good, but I'd like to try some before ordering. I'd gladly swap a similar sample of something from my cellar. Thanks!

Thomas Tkach":4jj5mdqe said:
Does anyone have a bowl or two of this on hand to send me (just enough that you could mail with a postage stamp)? It sounds good, but I'd like to try some before ordering. I'd gladly swap a similar sample of something from my cellar. Thanks!
I gotcha covered Thomas. Still have your snailer so will get it out Tue. No need for payment in kind.

Cheers,

RR

Thomas Tkach":rfljagnr said:
Thanks a bunch, BD! I really owe you now!
No Sir, you owe me nothing. Just paying it forward.

Do be aware though that this comes on the dry side, which is how you'll receive it (and how I personally like it).

:clown:

Cheers,

RR

I've only had a small bit of it yet, but I'm not sure it's something I'll stock. It was good, not not great. This is all tentative, I need to smoke the rest of your sample. Thanks again!

Someone told me they were going to discontinue the Acadian, along with a couple of others. Anyone in the industry heard anything?

thedeep":uho4o0s6 said:
Someone told me they were going to discontinue the Acadian, along with a couple of others. Anyone in the industry heard anything?

Nope, but I seem to know everything last.

Anyways, been smoking my last bit of this in my car so it's become very regular in my rotation. In the car, in a cob, not packed to tight it's still quite enjoyable stuff.

Had been trying this in a few different pipes now, ad still can't seem to wrap my brain around it...